What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

I flirted w getting excited about the opportunity to grab Jabari this off season. But does anybody else wonder about his attitude? And the danger of affecting chemistry?

I dont think so.

From all the interviews I have ever seen he comes off as a pretty humble and good dude. He put it out there that he wanted to play more after coming back. Im not sure that makes him a bad guy. He is a good player. He proved he was good before he got hurt. He worked hard coming back. Im not gonna hold that against him. He had a lot to prove with the injury and the timing of his new contract. He might have thought the organization was deliberately trying to hold down his value.

Is a sign and trade still possible? Burks and Udoh, a pick, right to swap, take a contract (buy out/ stretch) - something like that?

Makes Favors major insurance if Parker gets hurt, if he proves healthy we could drop Favors 18 million next off season, if Parker gets hurt luckily we have Favors signed.

This.

Id even be willing to move off of Crowder if it helped us get Jabari. I think Crowder is who he is. If you look at what happened in the playoffs it was clear he is just more of a hustle tough guy. Which is useful, but in the end it wasnt useful enough. Jabari would have been able to help us more. We needed another elite scorer.

I think we have to be smart enough to know that Crowder is not untouchable if it means getting Jabari.

Jazz, get on the phone an makes a deal. Cmon. Step it up.

Damn it man, we better do something good with the roster spot. The warriors are expected to grab Jarebko now to boost their shooting.

Is a sign and trade still possible? Burks and Udoh, a pick, right to swap, take a contract (buy out/ stretch) - something like that?

Makes Favors major insurance if Parker gets hurt, if he proves healthy we could drop Favors 18 million next off season, if Parker gets hurt luckily we have Favors signed.
I think a sign and trade gets really tricky because of both teams being over the cap. I dont know how to make the salaries work because of this rule:

"The BYC rule applies to a specific circumstance. If a player is being signed-and-traded via Early Bird or Bird rights by a team above the salary cap, gets a raise of at least 20%, and his salary is worth more than the minimum, his cap figure for salary-matching purposes will be affected. For the team acquiring him, his full salary would apply in a trade. For the team trading him, he would count for his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater."

So from Tony Jones report we are looking for a young guy that wont play much?

Maybe someone like Bruno Caboclo? Does he still have upside and potential. I have not seen him play the last 2 years.

Montrezl Harrell?

Jordan Mickey?

Jarebko made 41% from 3's last year. He knows the NBA game. I just can't believe the Jazz would waive Jarebko and gamble on Niang.

Niang is very limited athletically. Not an upside player at all.

Is it for sure that we arent going to pick up another player with the empty spot? I assume Niang will be a 2 way contract and not filling Jerebko's spot.

Also I dont think being limited athletically means you have no upside, but it does limit it.

Is it for sure that we arent going to pick up another player with the empty spot? I assume Niang will be a 2 way contract and not filling Jerebko's spot.

Also I dont think being limited athletically means you have no upside, but it does limit it.

Not for sure — but it would seem the lamest, most conservative move, and therefore, the move I most expect the front office would make (mostly joking, but I think the team will look back and see this offseason as a missed opportunity to lockup a good player on a bargain long-term deal by waiving Sef, Jonas, and Udoh)

I love Niang on a two-way, but not taking up a roster spot.

Not for sure — but it would seem the lamest, most conservative move and therefore, the move I most expect the front office would make.

I love Niang on a two-way, but not taking up a roster spot.
I think keeping Jerebko is a pretty conservative move. But I guess we will see what they do with it. In reality its probably a player that never sees the court except garbage time or injuries.

I think a sign and trade gets really tricky because of both teams being over the cap. I dont know how to make the salaries work because of this rule:

"The BYC rule applies to a specific circumstance. If a player is being signed-and-traded via Early Bird or Bird rights by a team above the salary cap, gets a raise of at least 20%, and his salary is worth more than the minimum, his cap figure for salary-matching purposes will be affected. For the team acquiring him, his full salary would apply in a trade. For the team trading him, he would count for his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater."

Thats weird. I wonder what that rule is about.

So if I understand it right, it means if say he signs for 18 mil per. We have to move 18 worth of salary because we are over the cap, but they can only take on 9 mil, and they are over the cap too. So in other words we would have to get a 3rd team involved that is under the cap for it to work?

If so, that is dumber that ****. Why do that? The NBA needs to loosen some of these dumb rules when it comes to trading so more trades can happen. This is a game. Fans want to see trades. Its entertaining. The entertainment part is the biggest part of the business they need to worry about. Complicating things make it less entertaining.

After the spurs trade kawahoo for a stack of players and are forced to renounce their claim on Davis Bertrans the jazz will sign him on a multi year deal.

If we sign Bertans and give SA Bradley as compensation to not match him, then I’ll forgive DL.

Thats weird. I wonder what that rule is about.

So if I understand it right, it means if say he signs for 18 mil per. We have to move 18 worth of salary because we are over the cap, but they can only take on 9 mil, and they are over the cap too. So in other words we would have to get a 3rd team involved that is under the cap for it to work?

If so, that is dumber that ****. Why do that? The NBA needs to loosen some of these dumb rules when it comes to trading so more trades can happen. This is a game. Fans want to see trades. Its entertaining. The entertainment part is the biggest part of the business they need to worry about. Complicating things make it less entertaining.
That is how I understand it as well. I dont understand the purpose of it either but that is the reason we almost never see sign and trades anymore. They used to be somewhat common. My guess is that it gives more power to the team to keep their players, instead of allowing them to force their way to whatever team they want regardless of the teams salary.