What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

You guys are underrating Melo. Comparing him to Anderson is an insult. PJ Tucker and Melo will combine to play SF and PF in what has become a largely positionless NBA.

Melo can still score in multiple ways. He was a bad fit in OKC but could be key in spots for a team like Houston.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Melo sucked and was a cancer way before OKC. Some of us have been on this bus for over ten years. It’s only now that people are seeing the light. I’d liken it to people gushing over someone with superficial good looks but a massive personality disorder. Now that the superficial beauty appears to have faded, the characterological flaws are no longer masked, yet they think what they’re seeing is something new now that there are no longer optics to facilitate denial.

Last edited:
When Melo played like a real PF and backed people down, he was pretty solid offensively. It was hilarious to see the Jazz get the switch with DM on him every time down the floor, though.

I don't think Melo is some all world player. I never thought he was a top 10 NBA player. However, he has a very strong offensive skill set. I always thought he would have been better as a Robin than a Batman. We will never know.

However, he has value. If he plays the role for Houston that Joe Johnson played for us a few years ago, he could be a huge asset for a contender. There were games Joe didn't do much and games he carried us for stretches. Melo could be that guy.

I don't think Melo is some all world player. I never thought he was a top 10 NBA player. However, he has a very strong offensive skill set. I always thought he would have been better as a Robin than a Batman. We will never know.

However, he has value. If he plays the role for Houston that Joe Johnson played for us a few years ago, he could be a huge asset for a contender. There were games Joe didn't do much and games he carried us for stretches. Melo could be that guy.

Melo will never accept the same role that Joe Johnson accepted for us. If he would, he would be valuable. But since he won't. . .

Melo will never accept the same role that Joe Johnson accepted for us. If he would, he would be valuable. But since he won't. . .

Even then... JJ worked for us cuz the rest of our offense was pretty bad. Their offense is good and Melo will hurt their efficiency... he’s a ball stopper and a sieve on defense.

He also lacks self awareness so yeah... great job Houston.

People who talk about Carmelo's skills in present tense have not seen him lately. According to whatever advanced stat you want to talk about, he was one of the worst players in the league last year. And this is surrounded by pretty good teammates, so it's not like this is an aging superstar/bad team scenario. And the numbers really bode poorly for his future. Remember, this is someone who now has 1000+ regular season games under his belt. That's a lot of wear and tear.

Carmelo had actually been one of the rare remaining successful mid-range players his last few years in NY. His last 5 seasons in NY, he'd been a 45% shooter from long twos. That's 16 feet and further. He was shooting them at a decent clip, too, with a quarter of his shots coming from there. Last year, he still took almost a quarter of his shots from there, but he was hitting 38%. That's already not a great shot to be taking to begin with. He did take more threes last year, but hitting 35% of them isn't all that spectacular. His TS% has never been worse and the average distance at which he took his shots has never been greater. He also took a serious nosedive after the ASG last year. He shot 38% from the field the rest of the way. His usage right went down, his ORTG went down.

The playoffs weren't an outlier, it's how his season had been going up to that point. He started okay, then it all fell apart in February. Melo actually shot 35% from the field overall in February. That's bad. Very bad. That's also a hallmark of an aging player who's breaking down. Start the season okay, get worse after 50 games when you run out of gas. Again, does not bode well for this season or any other future seasons, should there be any for Carmelo. His PER has also never been lower and perhaps the biggest drops of all was to his Assist rate. It was half of what his previous worst season had been. He's basically just taking long jumpers and threes at this point, and doing nothing else on offense. It's not like he's posting people up and looking to create space for his teammates. His season was exactly like what we saw in the playoffs.

And this is all without taking into account his defense, which has been terrible by any metric. He can't guard his man 1-on-1 anymore, and he can't switch or rotate either. His Value Over Replacement Player was -1.1. He's just not giving you anything anymore. His offense is below average, his defense is below average. Sure, he still scored 16 points a game, but at 32 minutes and 15 shots a game, and a 23% usage rate, there are a lot of people who could do that. Way more efficiently and without hurting the team in so many other ways.

People who talk about Carmelo's skills in present tense have not seen him lately. According to whatever advanced stat you want to talk about, he was one of the worst players in the league last year. And this is surrounded by pretty good teammates, so it's not like this is an aging superstar/bad team scenario. And the numbers really bode poorly for his future. Remember, this is someone who now has 1000+ regular season games under his belt. That's a lot of wear and tear.

Carmelo had actually been one of the rare remaining successful mid-range players his last few years in NY. His last 5 seasons in NY, he'd been a 45% shooter from long twos. That's 16 feet and further. He was shooting them at a decent clip, too, with a quarter of his shots coming from there. Last year, he still took almost a quarter of his shots from there, but he was hitting 38%. That's already not a great shot to be taking to begin with. He did take more threes last year, but hitting 35% of them isn't all that spectacular. His TS% has never been worse and the average distance at which he took his shots has never been greater. He also took a serious nosedive after the ASG last year. He shot 38% from the field the rest of the way. His usage right went down, his ORTG went down.

The playoffs weren't an outlier, it's how his season had been going up to that point. He started okay, then it all fell apart in February. Melo actually shot 35% from the field overall in February. That's bad. Very bad. That's also a hallmark of an aging player who's breaking down. Start the season okay, get worse after 50 games when you run out of gas. Again, does not bode well for this season or any other future seasons, should there be any for Carmelo. His PER has also never been lower and perhaps the biggest drops of all was to his Assist rate. It was half of what his previous worst season had been. He's basically just taking long jumpers and threes at this point, and doing nothing else on offense. It's not like he's posting people up and looking to create space for his teammates. His season was exactly like what we saw in the playoffs.

And this is all without taking into account his defense, which has been terrible by any metric. He can't guard his man 1-on-1 anymore, and he can't switch or rotate either. His Value Over Replacement Player was -1.1. He's just not giving you anything anymore. His offense is below average, his defense is below average. Sure, he still scored 16 points a game, but at 32 minutes and 15 shots a game, and a 23% usage rate, there are a lot of people who could do that. Way more efficiently and without hurting the team in so many other ways.

He could be useful to a team in desperate need of offensive creation... Kind of a middle of the pack team like maybe Miami (where he should go). To a contender that has elite creators (when healthy) he is useless for the reasons you mentioned. Unless he wants to come of the bench in a 12-15 minute role and actually give an eff on defense. We know how he feels about that... I honestly can't believe that Houston is on board with getting him. It's really weird.

He could be useful to a team in desperate need of offensive creation... Kind of a middle of the pack team like maybe Miami (where he should go). To a contender that has elite creators (when healthy) he is useless for the reasons you mentioned. Unless he wants to come of the bench in a 12-15 minute role and actually give an eff on defense. We know how he feels about that... I honestly can't believe that Houston is on board with getting him. It's really weird.

Did we see him doing any creating in the playoffs against the jazz? And now he’s a year older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the news that Tobias Harris passed up the 4/80 extension from the Clips is great for us. I could see him getting 4/100, but was worried that 4/80 was just enough to lock him up if he loves LA.

Did we see him doing any creating in the playoffs against the jazz? And now he’s a year older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He creates "bad" shots, but if you can't create something better then he's useful. But you are exactly correct... Favs owned him. The only time he got anything done was against Jonas and it was only a couple possessions. If he isn't good enough to take advantage of a traditional 4 I'm not sure what use he has.

There's a particularly mind boggling stat I forgot to mention. Carmelo Anthony had 2 assists in 194 minutes against the Jazz in that series. That's an assist every hour and a half.

Even crazier stat about Melo's assists. Both his assists came in the first half of game 1. He then proceeded to have no assists for the next 3 hours that he played in that series. 3 hours!!! Greg Ostertag was Magic Johnson compared to that.

Capella resigned with Rockets for less money. Major bad news for the Jazz... Kings the only team with cap space then they blew it

Capella resigned with Rockets for less money. Major bad news for the Jazz... Kings the only team with cap space then they blew it

How much money?