What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

I don't think we need any temporary solutions.

Exum has to stay. He is a key part of our defensive identity if we want to compete with super teams. We need to get a young, offensively focused SF/PF guy to groom like Hezonja. Then we simply bring everybody back for one year.

Next summer, Thabo, Jerekbo, Udoh, and Burks are gone (unless some worthy deadline deal catches our eye). If we kept Favors, hopefully we have an option on him. Rubio will be a very tough decision (if he demands big $) or an easy one (if he gives us an Ingles type deal).

Barring unanticipated trade, I think that's our plan.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Thing is tho the Kings have a huge chunk of space either way and what I see from them defensively, and what Exum brings to the table defensively, its in desperate need at PG, SG and SF, even more so if Temple leaves... They have no 2019 1st rd pick, its gone. 23 year old Exum former 5th pick with palpable upside, who's had some unlucky injuries but kept his burst, is a very worthy gamble for them when you really think about it if his shot starts coming around it'll pay off in spades -- for anyone who signs him...

The Kings like to roll out waves of new players every year til they stick, it;s actually a pretty good plan. Exum would fall in line with this. Temple isn't long-term plans, if they think Exum is they could be bidders.

I mean I am an Exum believer so I could see it, but it does seem like there are much better options on the table, especially considering they may want to be GOOD since they don't have their pick like you mentioned. With all the fit aspects, wouldn't an offer to Elfrid Payton make more sense?

Or even bringing Isaiah Thomas back on a big one-year prove it deal?

We can still keep Exum depending on the price. Jazz lose Favors and the NG guys. Also renounce Neto. Would not have the MLE. But it's ok. Teams only have 9 guys in the rotation. The main concern would be a backup to Rudy. You lose Favors and renounce Udoh. Only have vet minimum deals to offer. Can Bradley play 15 mins/per; he's barely out of diapers. Or is there a ring chaser out there who doesn't sign with GS or Houston or Boston?
In order to make the necessary space, the Jazz have to drop Favors, Neto and Exum’s cap holds, waive Selaflosha, Udoh and Jerebko, AND deal with Burks. The core of the team would be Gobert, PG13, Mitchell, Jingles, Rubio, Crowder and O’Neale.

I bet the Jazz could use one of their exceptions to add a PF to compete with Crowder, and a couple of minimum contracts pretty easily - including possibly bringing back all of Sefalosha, Jerebko and Udoh at a lower cost.

I mean I am an Exum believer so I could see it, but it does seem like there are much better options on the table, especially considering they may want to be GOOD since they don't have their pick like you mentioned. With all the fit aspects, wouldn't an offer to Elfrid Payton make more sense?

Or even bringing Isaiah Thomas back on a big one-year prove it deal?

No cuz the way I see it the Kings have **** for defense at SF between Bogdan and Bagley, and actually Exum could end up their best defender at the SF spot though he'd be used in a flex capacity off the bench.

Payton's shot is too broken, I much prefer Exum's chances at shooting it decently. the Kings actually shot the 3 really well last year too tbh like 38%, they don't really need Exum to shoot it from 3 that much, but they definitely like the idea of lineups where all 5 players can shoot the 3 so Payton isn't nearly the caliber of potential acquisition of Exum.

Fox is their PG. The IT era in Sacramento is long past.

Exum has to stay. He is a key part of our defensive identity if we want to compete with super teams.
Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
A guy that has hardly played cannot and is not a key part of anything. The apex of his 4-year career was guarding James Harden well (largely because officials strangely weren't calling fouls on him like they do everyone else that touches him) for a few games (and then suffering a non-contact injury).

One of the reasons I hope Paul George signs here (cue laughter) is so we no longer have to have these inane conversations about Exum and Favors suddenly becoming players they've never been.

We can still keep Exum depending on the Price.
Not really. Only if he wants to sign a minimum contract after PG signs.

The Jazz have to completely clear the deck of free agents, guys on team options, AND trade Burks without bringing salary back in order to have a max slot.

In order to make the necessary space, the Jazz have to drop Favors, Neto and Exum’s cap holds, waive Selaflosha, Udoh and Jerebko, AND deal with Burks. The core of the team would be Gobert, PG13, Mitchell, Jingles, Rubio, Crowder and O’Neale.

I bet the Jazz could use one of their exceptions to add a PF to compete with Crowder, and a couple of minimum contracts pretty easily - including possibly bringing back all of Sefalosha, Jerebko and Udoh at a lower cost.
If they resign Exum, the hold is replaced with his new contract amount.

1. Assume Jazz can get rid of Burks without taking salary back (that would likely require giving up next year's 1st).
2. Assume Exum is re-signed for $8M.
3. Jazz would then have 9 players (Gobert, Mitchell, Rubio, Ingles, Bradley, Crowder, O'Neale, Exum and Allen) at a total of ~$73M.
4. Minimum roster holds would be in place for 4 spots.
4. That would allow them to give George ~$26M and fill the remaining roster with rookies or players on vet minimum contracts.

Yes, if he demands a max contract, then Exum has to be sacrificed.

Last edited:
If they resign Exum, the hold is replaced with his new contract amount.

1. Assume Jazz can get rid of Burks without taking salary back (that would likely require giving up next year's 1st).
2. Assume Exum is re-signed for $8M.
3. Jazz would then have 9 players (Gobert, Mitchell, Rubio, Ingles, Bradley, Crowder, O'Neale, Exum and Allen) at a total of ~$73M.
4. Minimum roster holds would be in place for 4 spots.
4. That would allow them to give George ~$26M and fill the remaining roster with rookies or players on vet minimum contracts.

Yes, if he demands a max contract, then Exum has to be sacrificed.

"If PG demands a max contract to play in Utah." Are you high? Let me clear this up for you, if Utah is able to land PG it won't be for 26m/yr.

Do we really want to "sacrifice" a guy that plays 10 games a year so that we can make room for an All-Star sf? I dunno. Tough call

Srsly losing Exum is the least of our roster worries if we are fortunate enough to have to make room for PG.

If he doesn't land with Lebron in LA, what's his next best option? To play for $25M in OKC or to earn more in SLC and play with his buddy Donovan? I'm not saying this is likely. Just sayng he could sign a 1+1 and then Utah pays him $30M+ on his next deal.

And no, I wouldn't hesitate to give him the max and say sayonara to Dante. Jazz have Rubio and Mitchell who can play PG. O'Neale should also be getting minutes. So that's 4 players splitting 96 minutes. With PG at SF, I guess Ingles splits his time between the 3 and 4, with Crowder playing almost exclusively as the backup PF.

The Jazz should sign me to a 1 million dollar deal. For that I will sit behind the bench in a suit and be positive(I will put Trey Lyles to shame) The games that I do play I will brick open shots. Sure my defense for those 12 games will be way worse than Dante's but the 7-10 million dollar savings will be worth it especially considering that Rudy will have my back. Get it done DL

u guys are out of your mind if you think PG would ever be in UTAH. His wife is a former stripper and she would be damned if she ever is forced to live in Utah. Just looking at her shows she is all into the glamour and ******** name brands. Looks like a total materialistic ****. She would never agree to live in SLC.

Women these days control the **** out of the men and she will force pg13 to LA if anything, also can see him IN LA.

The Jazz should sign me to a 1 million dollar deal. For that I will sit behind the bench in a suit and be positive(I will put Trey Lyles to shame) The games that I do play I will brick open shots. Sure my defense for those 12 games will be way worse than Dante's but the 7-10 million dollar savings will be worth it especially considering that Rudy will have my back. Get it done DL

I’m in... but I’m hoping you are super thin or morbidly obese so when Gobert dunks you do the flex in a tank top and it is hilarious.

This deal goes beyond basketball... it’s a culture thing... we’d be stupid not to do it.

u guys are out of your mind if you think PG would ever be in UTAH. His wife is a former stripper and she would be damned if she ever is forced to live in Utah. Just looking at her shows she is all into the glamour and ******** name brands. Looks like a total materialistic ****. She would never agree to live in SLC.

Women these days control the **** out of the men and she will force pg13 to LA if anything, also can see him IN LA.

SLC is totally fake and we have Park City... word is he may stay in OKC... that may be more about signing a 5 year bigger max doe then later forcing his way out.

But word is he may do a 1+1... I don’t know the ramifications but there is another bump in cap expected next year so that may also be about dat $$$$

I’m in... but I’m hoping you are super thin or morbidly obese so when Gobert dunks you do the flex in a tank top and it is hilarious.

This deal goes beyond basketball... it’s a culture thing... we’d be stupid not to do it.

I am crazy thin. I look like a hapless villain from a family movie.

Thing is tho the Kings have a huge chunk of space either way and what I see from them defensively, and what Exum brings to the table defensively, its in desperate need at PG, SG and SF, even more so if Temple leaves... They have no 2019 1st rd pick, its gone. 23 year old Exum former 5th pick with palpable upside, who's had some unlucky injuries but kept his burst, is a very worthy gamble for them when you really think about it if his shot starts coming around it'll pay off in spades -- for anyone who signs him...

The Kings like to roll out waves of new players every year til they stick, it;s actually a pretty good plan. Exum would fall in line with this. Temple isn't long-term plans, if they think Exum is they could be bidders.

I’m fairly sure I saw a tweet that he had opted in already...

I love the second paragraph for several reasons:

1- you mention the kings plan.... they ain’t had no god damn plan in years.

2- you praise said plan even though they are one of the least successful franchises in the last 10 years.

3- you think they role out new waves of players every year as a master plan... they do that cuz they can’t find players who are both good and want to be there... thus high turnover. Do you love their plan of getting new ****** coaches every other year two....

Vlade is the worst.