What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

I could see a lot of this happening. But if Houston signs CP3 to a 5 year megamax and the Lakers and 76ers miss on get the big name free agents, where do LBJ/PG/Kawhi end up??

Before we get to that, we need to look at these two massive decisions before we can even look at what Houston or Philly does:

DeAndre Jordan's $24 million player option for next year. If he picks that up, and he should, the Clippers become sellers. If he doesn't, they actually can become buyers. If Jordan declines the option, the Clippers will pursue Kawhi pretty hard using Harris and the guys they just drafted.

LeBron James must decide by June 29 if he is choosing his $35.6 player option for next season. If he picks up his option, he can be traded. He could demand a trade. I see this being very likely because he could sell it to NBA fans that he wanted to make sure the Cavs get something back when he leaves (just like he did when he went to Miami).

- If LBJ wants Philly, they simply trade Bayless, the 2021 Miami pick and whatever else necessary. Cleveland probably demands that Philly sends Bayless elsewhere so they can save luxury money. I see Philly losing two 1st rounders in this scenario and Cleveland saves money.
- If LBJ wants Houston, the Rockets would have to trade Eric Gordon, PJ Tucker, Nene, and three other minor players to make the deal work financially. Cleveland would not take Anderson, but Houston could keep CP3, Capella, Harden, and even Ariza. The Cavs could either take all those players and make a run at the playoffs built around Sexton and Love OR they could try to find a 3rd team for Gordon and Tucker.

If DeAndre Jordan picks up his player option for next season ($24.1 million), that could lead to a crazy domino effect. The Clippers will try really hard to trade contracts so they avoid the luxury.

- The Clippers want to pursue Kawhi, but Jordan's contract would take away the cap space necessary to make a better deal to the Spurs. Without Jordan, the Clippers could have absorbed a good bit of Pau Gasol's $16 million. This is something the Lakers, Sixers, etc. don't want to or can't do.

- They will try to trade DeAndre to Dallas, but Dallas only wants him as a last resort since he's expiring. Dallas is the only team with space who might actually want Jordan. Every other trade will make the Clippers bring salary back.

- Milos Teosodic picked up his $6.3 million player option today. The Clippers can renounce Teosodic by paying him $2.1 million. They might do this just to save a few million and avoid the repeater tax. https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-ne...-player-option-but-his-nba-future-is-unknown/

- The Clippers might offload Harris if it means shedding more cap. If they could package Harris with Boban or DJordan or Wesley Johnson or Teosodic while bringing back less salary for this year and long term, they would jump on that.

I guess I hope Jordan exercises his option. It will lead to more chaos.

As the numbers I posted show, there are literally no teams who will overspend for Favors. Only 8 teams in the league have cap space and 2 of those teams only have around $10 million. Dallas, the Lakers and Sixers aren't in the market for a guy like Favors. So it comes down to the Kings, Hawks, Pacers, Bulls and Kings giving him more than $8.6 million which is the full MLE.

We have a very good chance of keeping Favors and Exum for less than $8.6 million each this season. A very, very good chance.
Again, that prospect doesn't excite me much. I just don't like the fit for either of them (neither shoot the ball well enough to drag defenders away from the paint, the value of floor spacing far outweighs what they can bring as individual offensive or defensive players considering the space that Rubio, Mitchell, and Gobert need, in addition to that added defense on this team at a certain point is diminishing returns).

The added production you get out of Gobert alone from that space for rim-running, lobs, and offensive rebounding almost replaces their contributions. Never forget that Favors was unreliable and it didn't matter in '16-'17 (the spacing made up for Johnson's shortcomings and made Gobert look like Dwight in his prime) and the issue of spacing has only become more important since then.

Last edited:
If DeAndre Jordan picks up his player option for next season ($24.1 million), that could lead to a crazy domino effect. The Clippers will try really hard to trade contracts so they avoid the luxury.

- The Clippers want to pursue Kawhi, but Jordan's contract would take away the cap space necessary to make a better deal to the Spurs. Without Jordan, the Clippers could have absorbed a good bit of Pau Gasol's $16 million. This is something the Lakers, Sixers, etc. don't want to or can't do.

- They will try to trade DeAndre to Dallas, but Dallas only wants him as a last resort since he's expiring. Dallas is the only team with space who might actually want Jordan. Every other trade will make the Clippers bring salary back.

- Milos Teosodic picked up his $6.3 million player option today. The Clippers can renounce Teosodic by paying him $2.1 million. They might do this just to save a few million and avoid the repeater tax. https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-ne...-player-option-but-his-nba-future-is-unknown/

- The Clippers might offload Harris if it means shedding more cap. If they could package Harris with Boban or DJordan or Wesley Johnson or Teosodic while bringing back less salary for this year and long term, they would jump on that.

I guess I hope Jordan exercises his option. It will lead to more chaos.
If Jordan opts in, there is no reason for them to really make any moves for cap reasons. They won't be in the LT, but they'll be way too far above the cap to be able to create any kind of meaningful room beneath it.

If Jordan opts in, there is no reason for them to really make any moves for cap reasons. They won't be in the LT, but they'll be way too far above the cap to be able to create any kind of meaningful room beneath it.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-ne...-player-option-but-his-nba-future-is-unknown/

The Clippers are worried about going over the tax again. They might be able to stay under by letting Teosodic go before July 15th (a move that saves them $4 million).

Again, that prospect doesn't excite me much. I just don't like the fit for either of them.

I agree 100%. If our whole offseason is keep everybody and draft Grayson Allen, I think this is a disappointing offseason after a season with so much promise.

Unfortunately, I could see a scenario where we just stick with what we have. My biggest fear is that we give Favors too much considering everything you said. If we give him $10+ for 3 or more years, we are going to be regretting it very, very soon.

I agree 100%. If our whole offseason is keep everybody and draft Grayson Allen, I think this is a disappointing offseason after a season with so much promise.

Unfortunately, I could see a scenario where we just stick with what we have. My biggest fear is that we give Favors too much considering everything you said. If we give him $10+ for 3 or more years, we are going to be regretting it very, very soon.
That's where the genius is of signing Favors to 1 year deal for $18-$20 million. Assuming we aren't getting Harris this summer, I think it makes a lot of sense.

That's where the genius is of signing Favors to 1 year deal for $18-$20 million. Assuming we aren't getting Harris this summer, I think it makes a lot of sense.

If we wanted to bring back everybody (Thabo, Jerekbo, Udoh and Exum), then we don't have much if any money anyway. Thabo ($5.5), Jerekbo ($4.2), Udoh ($3.4) and Exum ($8 let's say) take up all of our cap space. Since we have Favors' rights, we can give him whatever deal we want. Might as well give Favors a big one year deal if we are just going to continue from last year plus Grayson.

Favors and Exum are ours! Good.

Lets come back with a healthy squad next year. Yes, it might seem like a let down but look at it this way.

-Our "rookie" is "old" he maybe/should be able to contribute right away.
-Adding Exum is like adding a new player.
-Same for Thabo. He was out so much last year we didnt have him for the playoff run.
-Rubio was so good once he got into a groove with us. If he stays relatively healthy, especially in the playoffs who knows who far we can go.

Our team looked amazing at times during the second half. Now we add in Grayson who is a balls to the wall all out guy, healthy Exum, healthy Thabo. Chemistry is there. I LIKE our chances to go farther.

so do I, DL built in DM,Gobert and now Grayson a DO IT in UTAH team players who wants to play here and that is fantastic.
We hear that FA don't want to play in Utah for years. I like our chances too.

I don’t think Favors comes back. If he does, it’s on a 1 year deal. Love Favs, but I think he’s done here.

I would almost guarantee Exum is back. He plays elite perimeter defense, and him, Rubio, Mitchell and Allen makes a really nice backcourt. Exum
Can guard 1-3 very effectively, he’s young, and can still grow more. They’re not letting him walk.

Can’t imagine Jerebko is back.

I think if Favs leaves, we’ll sign Bjelly. Don’t know a thing about him, but it seems like something we’d do. The Jazz actually telegraph players they like really obviously.

Udoh comes back bc he’s tremendous on defense and a great locker room guy. Great community guy too.

Not sure about Thabo. I think he comes back and plays some 3/4. Just depends on his recovery. Another guy who’s a good teammate and really good on defense. A bargain rate Ariza.

With an off-season like that, we’re a 50-55 win team that’s set up for room coming into a big free agency period the next year. I think that sounds great to me.

Bottom line:

We’re not championship contenders, but we’re close, and that’s fine with me. It’s a fun team to watch with a bunch of great guys that play good basketball. That’s really all I want in a team tbh.