What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

If Favors doesn't come back with us then we officially did what we did the year before and sit on our hands hoping to bring someone back while everyone else is gone before that player "decided."

If Favors doesn't come back with us then we officially did what we did the year before and sit on our hands hoping to bring someone back while everyone else is gone before that player "decided."
And who is it that we could have gotten? Even if Favors had told us before free agency began that he wasn't returning, the Jazz' hands are tied. Exum has a $15M cap hold. Jazz would be at about $95M in cap space if they had renounced all three NG's. So either way, Jazz would have about the equivalent of the MLE to spend. The only way to clear more is if Favs leaves, Jazz renounce or sign Dante to a cheaper deal than his cap hold and/or DL finds a buyer for Burks.

This is not like the Hayward situation. Favors is letting us know on Day 2. There are still moves Dennis can make if Derrick leaves. I'm sure in a 5 hr. meeting a lot of scenarios and options were presented to him. And as far as a backup 5 if Favors leaves, a fair number are still available. It's not like we'd be going after Capela or DAJ. The only player I'd say we could have wanted is Ariza. But again, we don't have cap space for what he got.

This off season was never about getting the final piece. It was, and is, about using the scarcity of cap space to secure good contracts. Re-signing Favors and Exum to something like 3/33 and 3/25 would mean that we both would have space for a max deal next summer and have Favors, Exum and Crowder on very attractive deals that can be used in trades. This is obviously assuming they don`t get injured, but no strategy is risk free.

If DL can do this and also maybe secure another good role-player on a cheap contract, we will be in a great situation heading into the trade deadline and next summer. As a bonus we would also have a pretty damn good team and I am not sure what more we could realistically ask for.

Last edited:
Good morning fellas. After some ****** sleep, I'm back at it. And no @TheStormofWar , there was no howling at the strawberry moon or any need for morbid worry.

I wake up to find that we kept Thabo Sefolosha. For years during our Deron and following days, I pined for him due to his defensive prowess and positional flexibility. We are now going to pay him a good amount of money to stay. Overall, I'm okay with the move. He does many of the things this roster needs to defend our multidimensional opponents.

I'm not upset that we are keeping Thabo. I would be, however, upset if we keep Thabo and overpay Derrick Favors. Giving Derrick Favors anything $10+ for 2019 or beyond is just bad business in my opinion. You don't pay a guy that much money when you know that he is our weakest starter.

I think our delegation spent 3 hours to convince him not to go more than make him stay. He knows, we know, anybody with a brain knows that he's not a good fit on the court. Sure, he's an awesome guy, but he doesn't fit what we need to contend. Thabo at $5.25 is a little much, but he fits what we need to contend in addition to being a great guy.

Good morning fellas. After some ****** sleep, I'm back at it. And no @TheStormofWar , there was no howling at the strawberry moon or any need for morbid worry.

I wake up to find that we kept Thabo Sefolosha. For years during our Deron and following days, I pined for him due to his defensive prowess and positional flexibility. We are now going to pay him a good amount of money to stay. Overall, I'm okay with the move. He does many of the things this roster needs to defend our multidimensional opponents.

I'm not upset that we are keeping Thabo. I would be, however, upset if we keep Thabo and overpay Derrick Favors. Giving Derrick Favors anything $10+ for 2019 or beyond is just bad business in my opinion. You don't pay a guy that much money when you know that he is our weakest starter.

I think our delegation spent 3 hours to convince him not to go more than make him stay. He knows, we know, anybody with a brain knows that he's not a good fit on the court. Sure, he's an awesome guy, but he doesn't fit what we need to contend. Thabo at $5.25 is a little much, but he fits what we need to contend in addition to being a great guy.

Cool. I probably took things a bit far last night. I apologize if so.

I don't want to put much stock in it, but Favors re-signing with the Jazz would have some huge implications for the Jazz as a club. How much talent have we lost over the years? Rudy staying was kind of a given because he was an RFA, but Favors staying despite the fact he was unrestricted would be huge. If Utah is to compete, we can't hemorrhage players as we've had and continue to expect "holistic growth" to simply replace it. At some point, we have to be able to retain that talent we've developed. I'm pretty sure he'll be back, but it would be nice to demonstrate we can do it.

If we were to just keep everybody (without looking at what Exum and Favors get), we are looking at:
Gobert $23.5
Rubio $15 (expiring - extension?)
Ingles $13
Burks $11.5 (expiring)
Crowder $7.3
Thabo $5.25 (expiring)
Jerekbo $4.2 (expiring)
Udoh $3.4 (expiring)
Donovan $3.1
Neto $1.85 (QO - could be expiring)
Grayson $1.75
Bradley $1.7
O’Neale $1.4
OVERALL: $93 million for 13 players. Around $25 million in expendable expiring contracts (I'm not counting Rubio).
Of the contracts above, I think Udoh has the best chance of being let go followed by Neto then Jerekbo.

If we re-sign Exum to $8, that puts us at $101 and just below the cap. We would have $23 million between the cap and the luxury line ($124 million). It will be very interesting to see what happens with Favors today.

If we were to just keep everybody (without looking at what Exum and Favors get), we are looking at:
Gobert $23.5
Rubio $15 (expiring - extension?)
Ingles $13
Burks $11.5 (expiring)
Crowder $7.3
Thabo $5.25 (expiring)
Jerekbo $4.2 (expiring)
Udoh $3.4 (expiring)
Donovan $3.1
Neto $1.85 (QO - could be expiring)
Grayson $1.75
Bradley $1.7
O’Neale $1.4
OVERALL: $93 million for 13 players. Around $25 million in expendable expiring contracts (I'm not counting Rubio).
Of the contracts above, I think Udoh has the best chance of being let go followed by Neto then Jerekbo.

If we re-sign Exum to $8, that puts us at $101 and just below the cap. We would have $23 million between the cap and the luxury line ($124 million). It will be very interesting to see what happens with Favors today.

Assuming Derrick resigns with Utah, Ekpe seems the most likely man on the outs. If Bradley is solid enough in SL, he'll stick on the roster and eat Udoh's minutes. Depending on MLE or out TPEs and the players available, I suspect Neto might be on the way out as well. With Thabo back and Crowder in the rotation, plus the need to give minutes to Royce and Allen, Jonas might be a victim as well. Favors, Crowder, and Thabo is a solid enough rotation at the 4, but that many players is going to dictate some minutes behind Ingles be given to Royce, Thabo, and Crowder.

Assuming Derrick resigns with Utah, Ekpe seems the most likely man on the outs. If Bradley is solid enough in SL, he'll stick on the roster and eat Udoh's minutes. Depending on MLE or out TPEs and the players available, I suspect Neto might be on the way out as well. With Thabo back and Crowder in the rotation, plus the need to give minutes to Royce and Allen, Jonas might be a victim as well. Favors, Crowder, and Thabo is a solid enough rotation at the 4, but that many players is going to dictate some minutes behind Ingles be given to Royce, Thabo, and Crowder.

I agree with that.

It will be very interesting should Favors go elsewhere. If we picked absolutely everybody up and gave Exum $9 so we get to the salary cap, it would actually allow us to use the full MLE of $8.5 and Bi-Annual Exception. Not sure where we would use that though on the current free agents...

If we can get Exum for $7 and allow Udoh and Neto to leave, we actually will have around $6 or 7 million in cap room. It's not a lot, but maybe we can package Burks with that space to get aggressive to fill PF need.

I agree with that.

It will be very interesting should Favors go elsewhere. If we picked absolutely everybody up and gave Exum $9 so we get to the salary cap, it would actually allow us to use the full MLE of $8.5 and Bi-Annual Exception. Not sure where we would use that though on the current free agents...

If we can get Exum for $7 and allow Udoh and Neto to leave, we actually will have around $6 or 7 million in cap room. It's not a lot, but maybe we can package Burks with that space to get aggressive to fill PF need.

If Favors leaves, we're going to need to. Favors isn't a long term answer, but he's definitely workable for now. If he leaves, Lindsey better have a rabbit ready in that hat. I'm good with simply tweaking and internal improvement for now given how good we were last year, but that means bringing back those who contributed. We can't expect the maintain pace in the west while jettisoning players. There is the Donovan factor to consider as well. He's a franchise player. We know it, the FO knows it, and he knows it. I think he genuinely loves Utah, but we have to demonstrate we can build a winner. Derrick is the first step in that because it demonstrates we've go the chops to keep what we've grown.