What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

So you are calling 2 reporters liars who both corroborated the other's account of the conversation with the agent?

And why would two reporters come out of nowhere on the same exact day to quote the exact agent the exact same quote?
It wasn’t a quote.

Making a public statement is vastly different than making comments in private.

They were talking about a hot topic around the trade deadline and facts regarding these things are exceptionally rare. I also don’t find Marc Stein to be tier 1 of basketball journalists or whoever else was saying that stuff (which by the way is a tired narrative, and also even if true doesn’t have to remain true anyway).

So you are calling 2 reporters liars who both corroborated the other's account of the conversation with the agent?

And why would two reporters come out of nowhere on the same exact day to quote the exact agent the exact same quote?

Mike Conley later came out and said that wasn’t true.

That makes no sense and I’m increasingly doubtful that Tony Jones knows what the he he’s talking about half the time.

Only way it works is after free agency with cap space... would be tricky to do even with the space if we guarantee Favs. Maybe he’s not “in” the trade but we waive him to do it.

If they figure it out then I’m cool keeping Favs even though I think a stretch works better almost always... DL just can’t quit Favs I guess.

That makes no sense and I’m increasingly doubtful that Tony Jones knows what the he he’s talking about half the time.
I disagree. I think it makes all the sense in the world. I've posted this several times but I'll keep posting it. This trade works:

Jazz renounce the rights to Neto, Udoh, Rubio, & Sefolosha. They send Exum, Bradley, Korver, & 2019 1st round pick. The Jazz then receive Conley in return and keep Derrick Favors.

To me, it’s kinda like saying, “don’t commit to that really fun, really cute girl at the bar, because you might have a chance with a hooker.”
Or, commit to the hooker cuz you've never gotten remotely close to scoring with a really fun girl. And by the time you've been rejected by her type once again, the only girls left at the bar are "two-baggers."

It wasn’t a quote.

Making a statement is vastly different than making comments in private.

They were talking about a hot topic around the trade deadline and facts regarding these things are exceptionally rare. I also don’t find Marc Stein to be tier 1 of basketball journalists or whoever else was saying that stuff (which by the way is a tired narrative, and also even if true doesn’t have to remain true anyway).

Mark is the reporter who reports 10 minutes after Woj... “I’m also hearing what Woj did and can corroborate” I like him but don’t consider him a big insider.

So AD played like half the year and yeah I wouldn’t call Holiday a superstar. I didn’t say I don’t think Conley isn’t all that great, I said I don’t think he’s a superstar like everyone is talking about. He’s like a fringe all star kinda like Hayward so far in his career... hell I think Hayward is probably a better player than Conley and he’s what 4 or 5 years younger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lololol. And you don’t tri k a fringe all star is light years ahead of what Rubio was providing ???
Nobody is saying he’s a superstar, he’s a great fit for the Jazz as constructed in every way.

Dude you need to watch some basketball

That page is a mess. I use http://www.shamsports.com/capulator and would recommend everyone else does.

Declining every option, waiving every non-guaranteed player, and renouncing their rights* puts the Jazz at $32.7 million in capspace by my estimation (we don’t actually know what the cap will be heading into the offseason, although the number I’ve heard most projected is $109 million). That amount would likely be a max slot (for a player of up to 9 years of experience) or could absorb Conley outright.

If you can toss any guarantees salary in the deal, that would become spendable capspace. If you put Exum in the deal and stretch Korver, that gives the Jazz close to $15 million in cap space AFTER the trade. They would also still have the room exception of ~$4 million a year (which cannot be combined with capspace to make a larger figure).

*That means no Favors, Rubio, Neto, Thabo, Udoh, and whoever else I’m forgetting.

It sounds like the Jazz are wanting to keep Favors in a trade for Conley. So most likely that means sending them Exum and something else small like Bradley. Since I am positive we are not shipping any salary bigger than Exums from out team. I guess it could be Korver and Crowder or some combo of those two and a couple lower players. I think Korver, Bradley, Allen, and Niang gets it done but that would kind of surprise me as well. Plus it sounds like they really want Exum.

Or, commit to the hooker cuz you've never gotten remotely close to scoring with a really fun girl. And by the time you've been rejected by her type once again, the only girls left at the bar are "two-baggers."

We are headed towards the time when you look at your buddy and say “if it flies it dies... amirite” then you give each other a high five.

Dude ... it’s called posturing, prob by Memphis. Do you think the Jazz wouldn’t have checked with his agent since then ???

I disagree. I think it makes all the sense in the world. I've posted this several times but I'll keep posting it. This trade works:

Jazz renounce the rights to Neto, Udoh, Rubio, & Sefolosha. They send Exum, Bradley, Korver, & 2019 1st round pick. The Jazz then receive Conley in return.
If you keep Favors, you have to match a ton of salary. Korver counts for his guaranteed amount of $3.75 million, Exum counts for $9.6 and Bradley some pittance. I don’t think it matches.

I guess you could send Jae as well but there goes your stretch 4 which is the exact wrong direction.

The other consideration is of course what Memphis wants. I don’t think Memphis wants a bunch of spare parts that equal a bunch of salary they don’t want to pay.

Last edited:
The only downsize with Conley is we will run out of money for other deals so he would be our only free agent/trade this off season plus a possible veterans minimum or a small role player pick up

It works if you renounce the rights to Neto, Udoh, & Rubio. Then include Exum, Korver, & Bradley and the 2019 first.

Haven’t run the numbers but that would only work after July 6th obviously. So we don’t preserve our exceptions and would essentially use 17M in cap space for one year of Favs... kinda a ****** deal. Maybe they hope it works long term and they can retain him or maybe they think he becomes an asset... just seems like a full pivot from the plugged toilet offense would be nice.

It sounds like the Jazz are wanting to keep Favors in a trade for Conley. So most likely that means sending them Exum and something else small like Bradley. Since I am positive we are not shipping any salary bigger than Exums from out team. I guess it could be Korver and Crowder or some combo of those two and a couple lower players. I think Korver, Bradley, Allen, and Niang gets it done but that would kind of surprise me as well. Plus it sounds like they really want Exum.
I choose to not believe that the Jazz are dumb enough to think that way about Favors, otherwise he would be playing more than 23 minutes per game. I choose to believe that the Jazz are smart enough to play the positive PR with their players because that is smart.

If they are really this behind basketball truth we’re in for many more years of the same **** we’ve been frustrated by.

Is favors really the answer ? Maybe we trade him in another deal ? Just don't want another year of him and Gobert trying to coexist

Lololol. And you don’t tri k a fringe all star is light years ahead of what Rubio was providing ???
Nobody is saying he’s a superstar, he’s a great fit for the Jazz as constructed in every way.

Dude you need to watch some basketball

Thanks for the breakdown of all his skills he provides. I don’t think an aging 32 year old fringe all star making 30+ million for the next 2 years is a no brainer win like everyone else seems to think.

Oh and no I don’t think it’s light years ahead of what Rubio was providing. Rubio could probably qualify as a fringe all star too on some teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dude ... it’s called posturing, prob by Memphis. Do you think the Jazz wouldn’t have checked with his agent since then ???

I'm talking about what happened in February. And why would Memphis leak that the player doesn't want Utah? Wouldn't that make Utah go away and not pay more for him?

Just listened to this interview. Here's what Tony said:

- Jazz are in fairly serious talks with Memphis. He anticipates that if a deal were to get done, that it will happen in the next 3 days.
- He expects that #23, future assets, and Favors contract would have to be included as part of the deal
- Mentions Indiana is also in discussions for Conley