What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

The jazz need to explore younger trade options and they probably pay high for the word "potential"... I would explore options like Lavine, Porter Jr, even Love at 30 offers at least some potential to get better. There is no "equity" in Conley, he cannot get more valuable, he just gets older and older and more expensive over the next 2 years.

You are just completely dismissing what a monumentally massive upgrade Conley is at our position most in need

Once again, here's why I don't like the Conley deal.

In two years the Jazz will likely have Gobert on a supermax ($50mm/year) and Mitchell on a max deal ($30mm/year. That's $80 million between those 2 guys. That leaves limited cap space for the rest of the roster. If Conley is coming off the books the Jazz will basically not be able to sign any outside impact players. If the Jazz struck out on top FA's this year but alternatively signed some younger plan B type guys (Think Bobby Portis, Jabari, Terry Rozier, etc) Then those guys would be under contract for longer and then the Jazz would have their bird's rights to resign them in the future even though they're over the cap.

Basically with the Conley deal I think the Jazz will be screwed in two years.
I view it the other way around. Getting to a higher level requires picking up some inertia. Once the inertia gets going, it's easier to maintain. Conley gives us inertia. I think piddling around with our current plans puts is in a place where picking up momentum in two years is impossible.

Faking out Bjelica so that the Jazz could commit $30 million to a total ****ing lemon made a massive difference, as did re-upping Favors (which is forgivable considering the particulars of the contract).
If you take last season in a vacuum sure, the Exum deal sucked. I don't buy that Bjelica moves the needle much on our postseason success though. And again, if Exum is part of the deal that lands us Conley I'm good with it.

I can't figure out how we get Conley without losing a number of players. I tried NBA Trade Machine and got rejected on the following deal:

Jazz Get - Mike Conley

Memphis Gets - Dante Exum, Kyle Korver, Thabo Sefalosha, Tony Bradley

THIS TRADE FAILED - Cut $5,450,000 from the Jazz incoming trade value.

The Jazz cannot trade Ricky Rubio or Ekpe Udoh according to Trade Machine. Is that true? If we can trade Rubio then I would easily do:

Dante Exum, Ricky Rubio, Expe Udoh, Kyle Korver, Thabo Sefalosha, and Tony Bradley, and 2 draft picks for Mike Conley and Avery Bradley.

I think there are plenty of attainable guys who, with or without Conley, will improve our team in place of Favors. To name a few: Jabari, Niko, Aminu, Gay, maybe even Jamychal Green.
\

Those I disagree with, if its just them vs Favors. If it is them and a good PG or even SG that we could not get with Favors then we are talking about something.

If you take last season in a vacuum sure, the Exum deal sucked. I don't buy that Bjelica moves the needle much on our postseason success though. And again, if Exum is part of the deal that lands us Conley I'm good with it.
You don’t buy that a legit shooting and playmaking big (better than anything we have on the roster) wouldn’t have made a difference when all of our shaky shooting got badly exposed? I absolutely disagree.

Furthermore, a game or two difference in the regular season dictates a different and almost-certainly more favorable matchup.

I can't figure out how we get Conley without losing a number of players. I tried NBA Trade Machine and got rejected on the following deal:

Jazz Get - Mike Conley

The Jazz cannot trade Ricky Rubio or Ekpe Udoh according to Trade Machine. Is that true? If we can trade Rubio then I would easily do:

Dante Exum, Ricky Rubio, Expe Udoh, Kyle Korver, Thabo Sefalosha, and Tony Bradley, and 2 draft picks for Mike Conley and Avery Bradley.
I'm pretty sure the trade is going to have to involve Jae, and the trade machine may be using Korvers pre guarantee salary number.

I view it the other way around. Getting to a higher level requires picking up some inertia. Once the inertia gets going, it's easier to maintain. Conley gives us inertia. I think piddling around with our current plans puts is in a place where picking up momentum in two years is impossible.

Derek Fisher gave us a ton of inertia, he left after a year (which Conley could do since he has a player option), and we could be screwed because we didn't get a more long term piece.

Jazz Get - Mike Conley

Well yeah. They have to dump a bunch of players mate.

Derek Fisher gave us a ton of inertia, he left after a year (which Conley could do since he has a player option), and we could be screwed because we didn't get a more long term piece.
I doubt he declines that option, especially if he's as risky as everyone is saying. The flipside is that he plays so well that he feels he could ink a long-term deal worth more than $20M/year. In that case, he's playing really well, and we'd have his bird rights.

You don’t buy that a legit shooting and playmaking big (better than anything we have on the roster) wouldn’t have made a difference when all of our shaky shooting got badly exposed? I absolutely disagree.

Furthermore, a game or two difference in the regular season dictates a different and almost-certainly more favorable matchup.
Yeah I guess I'm not that big on Bjelica. Maybe we get a game or two here or there, but I'm 50/50 on whether or not it would have been enough to get us past Houston. I'm just saying it's not a huge mistake, as LOPO suggested.

I really would rather us look into Conley after FA. That might not be an option though. Russell and or Tobias would be much better options for the Jazz. Conley is a good option after that.

Jazz Get - Mike Conley

Right now my favorite trade that works is,

- Relinquish the rights to Rubio, Sefolosha, Udoh
- Trade Exum, 2019 1st, Kyle Korver, Tony Bradley
- Receive Mike Conley & retain Derrick Favors

I doubt he declines that option, especially if he's as risky as everyone is saying. The flipside is that he plays so well that he feels he could ink a long-term deal worth more than $20M/year. In that case, he's playing really well, and we'd have his bird rights.

You are right. He probably doesn't decline his option. Unless, he has a monster year, stays healthy, and realizes he can get one more big contract from somebody desperate like Miami.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. Conley's agent came out and said Conley doesn't want to be in Utah. Sure Conley addressed that later, but it still happened. I can't believe more people aren't thinking about that. It is very possible Conley leaves after a year if he doesn't want to be here AND he plays really well next year.

I really would rather us look into Conley after FA. That might not be an option though. Russell and or Tobias would be much better options for the Jazz. Conley is a good option after that.
I’m with you there (although it once again requires walking from Favors). I’m not sure the Jazz has that luxury, especially since other teams are probably thinking the same thing (particularly Boston).

Conley's agent came out and said Conley doesn't want to be in Utah. Sure Conley addressed that later, but it still happened. I can't believe more people aren't thinking about that. It is very possible Conley leaves after a year if he doesn't want to be here AND he plays really well next year.
You’re going to have to prove that.

It doesn’t have to include Jae. It doesn’t have to include anybody being sent.
I worded that poorly, of course it doesn't HAVE to include Jae or anyone, but for the salaries to match up, and not include say Ingles for instance, it seems hard not to.

You are just completely dismissing what a monumentally massive upgrade Conley is at our position most in need
Break it down for me... How does he provide the Jazz the massive upgrade? Its not in points, its not in size, its not in assists, not athleticism, its not in rebounds. Everyone is talking like he's freaking batman... Does he beat people with his outwit ability? He looks like a really good savvy veteran to me, he looks like he can be difficult for opposing players at times because hes left handed. He doesn't look like a superstar to me, but that is how he is being discussed. How many superstar players are on 30 win teams?

I worded that poorly, of course it doesn't HAVE to include Jae or anyone, but for the salaries to match up, and not include say Ingles for instance, it seems hard not to.
Nope.

The Jazz can absorb Conley’s salary outright if need be. Teams under the cap don’t have to match outgoing salaries with incoming salaries.