What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

If we got Conley, could we grab Aminu with the MLE?
We don’t have to have the salary to match, and they probably wouldn’t want any salary anyway. In short, that would be up to the Grizzlies.

If you can include Exum in the deal, that is a homerun.

If we can pick him up and only give up a 1st and keep everyone important then I'm all about this deal. I would prefer Russell but this could be good. That's assuming we keep Favors who is a big boost to our team and plays well with Gobert when our PG can shoot. Plus is a good trade chip if we go that route later. An experienced expiring big with a reasonable salary is great to have. Even just for the money aspect to pick up another good player.

That's assuming we use our mle on someone solid as well.

Also silly that people want to dump Exum for nothing. I'm happy to trade him if we get something we want back but dumping him is silly.

So what would you like to see the front office do? Who can they realistically add that will improve the team more than Conley? Their biggest fee agent acquisition over the last 10 plus year was an old, way past his prime Joe Johnson. Utah isn't and never will be a free agent destination. We also have very few trade assets so we aren't going to be able to acquire the Kawhi Leonard's or Anthony Davis's of the NBA that instantly make you a championship contender.

The jazz need to explore younger trade options and they probably pay high for the word "potential"... I would explore options like Lavine, Porter Jr, even Love at 30 offers at least some potential to get better. There is no "equity" in Conley, he cannot get more valuable, he just gets older and older and more expensive over the next 2 years.

I completely disagree. I think we could get a Russell. Or a Randle. Or others.

If we trade Exum and 2 1st rounders for Conley, it's going to be as bad as Brooklyn trading 3 first rounders for Paul Pierce.

You crazy. 2 picks like 23 and 21 are nothing like the 3 first rounders they gave up for Pierce.
I hope the Jazz don't give up 2 picks as well, but come on...

I completely disagree. I think we could get a Russell. Or a Randle. Or others.

If we trade Exum and 2 1st rounders for Conley, it's going to be as bad as Brooklyn trading 3 first rounders for Paul Pierce.

Yeah...not even close.
If we can pick him up and only give up a 1st and keep everyone important then I'm all about this deal. I would prefer Russell but this could be good. That's assuming we keep Favors who is a big boost to our team and plays well with Gobert when our PG can shoot. Plus is a good trade chip if we go that route later. An experienced expiring big with a reasonable salary is great to have. Even just for the money aspect to pick up another good player.

If we can do that, I will run around with no underwear on screaming praises to Lindsey. Sober. At Temple Square. While ditching the cops who will likely be hot on my heels.

Okay so lets assume your right and he makes the jazz much, much, better. It is still pretty wishful thinking that he makes the Jazz championship caliber better, after all very few players have that ability to change a franchise like that. What is the upside? Year two hes a year older on an expiring deal, hes not getting better, and the jazz aren't adding anyone else... The Jazz get worse again in two years when he leaves, but they have money to spend again! yipee... status quo

you really don't think there is an upside to getting better even if it doesn't mean a championship? We have two statues of players that never brought a title. Being a Jazz fan in 97 and 98 was glorious (until Dick Bavetta...) Getting better matters, and it's fun. Getting better for two years while Donovan develops and we continue building a core. I'm in.

We'd be exchanging Exum for something we value highly: flexibility.
I prefer Exum by a decent amount. I would rather be over the cap anyways so we can use our MLE and keep Exum.

But if it's Exum for Conley then great. I would even add a 1st or Bradley.

People who are hyper focused on salary are doing it wrong. The years on the contract and how they fit our core is what matters. And the 2 years on Conley's deal fit perfectly.

Also if 32 is ancient then I might as well just go slit my wrists lol. Guess the Lakers should go trade LeBron for a bucket of fried chicken. It will give them more value cuz at 34 there's just no way he could be useful.

You know we had this one guy on the Jazz a while back who won a freaking NBA MVP at 33 and a second at 35. But I guess we should have just dumped him for some picks when he turned 32. Those picks could be anything! They are way more valuable! They could even be nothing.

So what would you like to see the front office do? Who can they realistically add that will improve the team more than Conley? There biggest fee agent acquisition over the last 10 plus year was an old, way past his prime Joe Johnson. Utah isn't and never will be a free agent destination. We also have very few trade assets so we aren't going to be able to acquire the Kawhi Leonard's or Anthony Davis's of the NBA that instantly make you a championship contender.

This is the best year in the history of the NBA to chase free agents. There have never been so many quality players out there. Half of the league is a free agent. What's crazy is that only 13 or 14 teams actually have max cap space. If you look at all the dominoes falling right now, we are one of the few teams with max space who can go after Russell, Randle, and even sign a guy like Brogdon to an offer sheet.

There is a first time for everything. We gotta try. Summers like this don't happen often. We have a good group of guys, a future star, a great defensive center and max money. And, we can recruit guys telling them they will be the 2nd offensive option. That's huge.

Good news is that if we see something like this happen this week, it's also a tell that we weren't really in the running for any premier free agents at all.

Conley makes us a better team. A team that can somehow escape from the west and win a title? Not so much especially if you see Leonard go back to the Clips and the Lakers potentially taking on a third max.

Most of this myth. The Jazz have been worse with Gobert and Favors sharing the floor over the last two years by -5 vs Gobert with a stretchy not-very-good player (Thabo, Sefolosha, Jae, Jerebko, etc).

It is a bad fit. Period. Either he comes off the bench for the MLE or less (not happening and not fair to him) as a 5, or you just shake hands and let the man walk.

Most of this myth. The Jazz have been worse with Gobert and Favors sharing the floor over the last two years by -5 vs Gobert with a stretchy not-very-good player (Thabo, Sefolosha, Jae, Jerebko, etc).

It is a bad fit. Period. Either he comes off the bench for the MLE or less (not happening and not fair to him) as a 5, or you just shake hands and let the man walk.
Not when a shooting PG is with them.

Not when a shooting PG is with them.
With all lineups. Gobert with Favors is still positive, but not nearly as positive as Gobert and a “4” that can shoot.

It is a bad fit. We’re shoe-horning pure non-sense. The Jazz attempted the 2nd-fewest 3s from the starting 4 of all teams in the league. That is for a team that got every open shot and desperately needed spacing.

you really don't think there is an upside to getting better even if it doesn't mean a championship? We have two statues of players that never brought a title. Being a Jazz fan in 97 and 98 was glorious (until Dick Bavetta...) Getting better matters, and it's fun. Getting better for two years while Donovan develops and we continue building a core. I'm in.
John and Karl were 20 freaking years ago... It's like I'm taking crazy pills, are we the browns? status quo... The Jazz have to get better and still maintain the ability to get better year after year- I dont think Conley offers that.

How do the Jazz get better with Conley over the next 2 years if they mortgage draft picks and half the roster to get him?

This is the best year in the history of the NBA to chase free agents. There have never been so many quality players out there. Half of the league is a free agent. What's crazy is that only 13 or 14 teams actually have max cap space. If you look at all the dominoes falling right now, we are one of the few teams with max space who can go after Russell, Randle, and even sign a guy like Brogdon to an offer sheet.

There is a first time for everything. We gotta try. Summers like this don't happen often. We have a good group of guys, a future star, a great defensive center and max money. And, we can recruit guys telling them they will be the 2nd offensive option. That's huge.

The front office isn't dumb, they're doing a ton of homework right now and have been the whole offseason. If they truly believed they could land Kemba, Tobias or Russell then I'm sure that would be their preference and they wouldn't make the Conley deal. The fact that they are trying so hard to get Conley tells me that their intel is saying all those guy's are likely to sign elsewhere. As for Randle, it doesn't seem like the front office really has any interest in him...Tony Jones even said on twitter that the Jazz would much rather keep Favors than sign Randle.