What's new

Jazz history, Status Quo and Social Media

yes your first sentence was correct (about the lack of name calling) then franklin showed up and started calling people "apoligists" and saying "you're gonna need a flyswatter".... then george shows up and starts with the cursing and criticizing of other peoples opinions.

How DARE he!!? Haha

In all I like to read the differing opinions and insights. I am joining the replace Ty crowd more and more. My main complaint is playing time for the young guys.

I agreed with the rest of your post, for the most part. I'm just skeptical of this part. NBA history, including Jazz history, is replete with teams misestimating the abilities of players even after they played significant minutes, if they were still young at the time of their first extension. So, I don't see this as being a good motivation for getting them more playing time. I think they have earned more playing time, but for other reasons.
I don't recall ever claiming that more information = perfect predictive power. My assertion was that more information = more predictive power. Do you think that production while getting 0 minutes and 0 on court responsibility is as predictive of future performance as production while getting 30 minutes of game time, mostly against starters, as a key player?

I don't recall ever claiming that more information = perfect predictive power. My assertion was that more information = more predictive power. Do you think that production while getting 0 minutes and 0 on court responsibility is as predictive of future performance as production while getting 30 minutes of game time, mostly against starters, as a key player?

30 is better than 0, absolutely. That does not mean 30 is better than 15, 10, or even 5.

30 is better than 0, absolutely. That does not mean 30 is better than 15, 10, or even 5.
So at what amount of minutes/level of responsibility is the marginal benefit of additional minutes/greater responsibility less than or equal to zero?

So at what amount of minutes/level of responsibility is the marginal benefit of additional minutes/greater responsibility less than or equal to zero?

I don't know. Hence, my use of "that does not mean", as opposed to "is not".

30 > 0
30 > 5
30 > 10
30 > 15? Debatable.

For me Kanter should be at 20-25 minutes a game.

If you have any reasoning for that beyond "it's obvious" and "it allows the fan/scout to do a better evaluation", then I am listening.

If you have any reasoning for that beyond "it's obvious" and "it allows the fan/scout to do a better evaluation", then I am listening.

You can sit and watch all day long but at some point you need adequate realtime experience.

For example I spent 2 months getting prepped all day long everyday for my mission. But I was not able to master the things I had learned until I got the chance to tune them in the real world.

Same thing here. OK Kanter sit and watch. Fair enough. Now he has a theoretical knowledge of what he should do and how he should do it but not a working knowledge. That only comes with real world experience. He gets that by being on the court and playing.

I am not calling for Kanter or Burks to start. However Kanter is averaging 14 minutes a game and Burks is averaging 16 minutes. Keep in mind that that 16 minutes for Burks does not include his DNPs from earlier this year.

I think averaging 20 - 25 minutes, enough to play a meaningful role and a chance to hash out what they are learning, is a good amount of time to get that real world experience.

Games like the DNPs for Burks and the 7 minutes Kanter got against Chicago leaves them at a theoretical knowledge.

You can sit and watch all day long but at some point you need adequate realtime experience.

I don't see a direct connection between this and the ability of the coach/front office to evaluate a player; the latter of which is what I was questioning.

I don't see a direct connection between this and the ability of the coach/front office to evaluate a player; the latter of which is what I was questioning.

Not my fault you can't see what's "obvious". haha.

I am not talking about evauluation even though that would be happening. I am talking about the chance to put into application what has been taught. If that is not given then all the teaching they are doing is for nothing.

Quick guys learn all this!! Oh you want the chance to use what you learned? Oh, haha. Sorry guys, we don't do that here.

Having said that the evaluation itself is important. No sense wasting years, perhaps 7 maybe..., on a guy that is not panning out.

Ty isn't going anywhere. Just make peace with it. Your blood pressure appreciates it.

I am one of the lucky few. I eat what I want when I want. I am not over weight and I have good blood pressure and cholesterol. I also hardly ever stress.

You're a caricature of yourself sometimes. I'm waiting for you to say "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is."

I am not talking about evauluation even though that would be happening. I am talking about the chance to put into application what has been taught.

I agree, when it comes to improving upon what you learn in practive, 30>15>>10>>>5.

You're a caricature of yourself sometimes. I'm waiting for you to say "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is."

If being aware of deepness of my own ignorance makes me a caricature, I'll bear that burden gladly. If the only response you can muster to your opinion that it makes me a caricature, than I see no reason to relinquish that burden; I only feel pity for you that you refuse to carry it.

I agree, when it comes to improving upon what you learn in practive, 30>15>>10>>>5.

I agree that Burks and Kanter may not be ready to average 30 min. a game but a good 20 mpg average would be just about right.

Favors and Hayward should be 30+.

If being aware of deepness of my own ignorance makes me a caricature, I'll bear that burden gladly. If the only response you can muster to your opinion that it makes me a caricature, than I see no reason to relinquish that burden; I only feel pity for you that you refuse to carry it.

Sometimes I cannot tell if you are simply trying to hard or just need to get out more.