What's new

jazz identity under Corbin

jumpin bean

assuming we play ball next year,and with Corbin now knowing after the draft what players he has to work with,what type of offense will Corbin institute? will he be jerry jr. and keep things the same or will he change things greatly,maybe more run n gun?and we were bad on defense so what will tye change on that end of the court? what will be the new jazz identity under Corbin now he has had time to adjust.

assuming we play ball next year,and with Corbin now knowing after the draft what players he has to work with,what type of offense will Corbin institute? will he be jerry jr. and keep things the same or will he change things greatly,maybe more run n gun?and we were bad on defense so what will tye change on that end of the court? what will be the new jazz identity under Corbin now he has had time to adjust.

The answer is we really have no freaking idea. Jeff Hornacek implied that Corbin himself doesn't know either. Corbin played in many systems on many different teams in the NBA. So it really could be anything. But with Favors, Kanter and Jefferson being most comfortable in the deep post I think you will see set slanted toward getting really good post position.

Hard to say if the D will improve. On the one hand Hayward and Favors are going to be playing a lot, but on the other hand AK is probably gone. Hurts to say but a lot could hinge on CJ getting interested in playing defense, and Millsap developing perimeter defense. That spot looks like it will be platooned.

Offensively Corbin seemed to favor a higher tempo, less rigid approach. I would expect him to have the team pushing the ball and falling back into the flex if a quick score doesn't present itself. Hayward, Favors and Harris seem to be guys that will run a nice break. CJ and Watson too.

Hard to say if the D will improve. On the one hand Hayward and Favors are going to be playing a lot, but on the other hand AK is probably gone. Hurts to say but a lot could hinge on CJ getting interested in playing defense, and Millsap developing perimeter defense. That spot looks like it will be platooned.

Offensively Corbin seemed to favor a higher tempo, less rigid approach. I would expect him to have the team pushing the ball and falling back into the flex if a quick score doesn't present itself. Hayward, Favors and Harris seem to be guys that will run a nice break. CJ and Watson too.

Agree on offense. Sloan was trying to get the team to play more up-tempo and for some reason, Deron would generally just walk the ball up the court - and then try a few crossovers. With the young legs the Jazz have, I see Corbin wanting to push the pace and get some transition buckets. No reason to abandon the curls that worked so well in Sloan's system, as Hayward is as deadly as Harpring and Korver were. I think a lot will depend on personnel. Obviously, the style is much different when you have a low-post player like Jefferson vs. an Okur at the 5. And Burks brings a dimension to the SG position that the Jazz have never really had, although Hayward has also displayed some decent ability to drive and create.

Too early to say what coach Corbin will be. What does anyone know about him? He was was a NBADL mentor for two years, then hired by Scott Layden in NY to be a player development coach before becoming an assistant with the Jazz. Until Jerry quit the only head coaching experience he had was at summer league. While he had a better summer league record than Scott Layden he was only running what Jerry told him to, so it didn't show us anything about who Coach Corbin is.

The 8-20 record last year didn't tell us much about Coach Corbin either. He was just picking up Jerry's pieces, on a team that had its soul ripped out. What we learned was that Coach Corbin did not push Jerry out--because Coach Corbin wasn't ready to take over. When Corbin, Layden, & Hornacek took over, none of them had ever been a head coach before--its no wonder they forgot to tell Paul to miss the foul-shot.

The lock-out could help this coaching staff get some plans together, but it won't fix their inexperience. I hope they hire Chiesa to be the x's and o's guy and another guy who has been a head coach somewhere.

@ Mellow-

You are right. Corbin has been retained so the rest of us will have to just live with the results. My opinion, along with others will hold little water until the results of the 2011 season.

I happen to believe Corbin will succeed.

If Jerry was one of the best coaches in the NBA about the D. And we still had some problems with it.
Corbin...
i think many thing depends on chemistry in the team. If the players love play with each other. They will be willing to help each other.

Jerry failed to adjust his defense to the changing NBA. What I hope Corbin does is change the defense to adjust to the modern NBA. We need to defend the 3 and we need to stop double teaming every single guy who gets the ball in the post. If the guy you are playing can not stop Matt Bonner (and a multitude of others) from scoring in post position maybe he should not be playing.

Jerry failed to adjust his defense to the changing NBA. What I hope Corbin does is change the defense to adjust to the modern NBA. We need to defend the 3 and we need to stop double teaming every single guy who gets the ball in the post. If the guy you are playing can not stop Matt Bonner (and a multitude of others) from scoring in post position maybe he should not be playing.

I agree with you to a point, but the the players have to put forth some effort. The effort was there the first 15 to 20 games, then for what ever reason the players stoped giving the effort needed to stop other teams.

Sloan never got that in the Boozer era.

Corbin played for Lenny Wilkins, Rick Adelman, Jerry Sloan, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Bill Musselman, Alvin Gentry, Gary St. Jean and some guy named Wetzel.

I remember Fitzsimmons Suns teams got up and down the floor, played loose, had fun and shot a lot of threes.

Does anyone know enough about Wilkins, to characterize his coaching style and philosophy?

The Sloan = bad defense is garbage. That finals team played excellent D. When your front court is Jefferson/Boozer/Millsap there will be issues. For chrissakes I'm missing Memo's D.

The Sloan = bad defense is garbage. That finals team played excellent D. When your front court is Jefferson/Boozer/Millsap there will be issues. For chrissakes I'm missing Memo's D.
You ARE aware that was ****ing 13+ years ago, right?

Disallowing hand-checking, allowing zone, and the growth of the 3-pointer as a deliberate weapon rendered about half of Sloan's strategy moot. And somehow, despite every statistical measurement in the world to show otherwise, fouling a guy on every possession always seemed to make sense too. Besides all of that, I don't believe you can just make excuses because your players aren't known for defense. All I know is great defensive coaches always seem to have good to great defensive teams regardless of personnel.

I don't know what the Jazz's identity will be, but until the team (and organization as a whole) commits itself to defense, this team isn't going anywhere. That much I do know.

You ARE aware that was ****ing 13+ years ago, right?

Disallowing hand-checking, allowing zone, and the growth of the 3-pointer as a deliberate weapon rendered about half of Sloan's strategy moot. And somehow, despite every statistical measurement in the world to show otherwise, fouling a guy on every possession always seemed to make sense too. Besides all of that, I don't believe you can just make excuses because your players aren't known for defense. All I know is great defensive coaches always seem to have good to great defensive teams regardless of personnel.

I don't know what the Jazz's identity will be, but until the team (and organization as a whole) commits itself to defense, this team isn't going anywhere. That much I do know.

I can agree with some of this. The game has changed and old school guys that won't use zone concepts are not taking full advantage. But personnel has a lot to do with it too. You can't have a great defense without having players that are great defenders. Thibodeu got a lot out of Korver and Boozer but that team also has Deng, Rose, and Noah. Likewise Carlisle wasn't trotting out Stevenson and Chandler for their scoring abilities.

In Utah the Jefferson/Millsap frontcourt simply cannot defend. No coach could fix that. So hopefully Favors becomes that anchor.

I can agree with some of this. The game has changed and old school guys that won't use zone concepts are not taking full advantage. But personnel has a lot to do with it too. You can't have a great defense without having players that are great defenders. Thibodeu got a lot out of Korver and Boozer but that team also has Deng, Rose, and Noah. Likewise Carlisle wasn't trotting out Stevenson and Chandler for their scoring abilities.

In Utah the Jefferson/Millsap frontcourt simply cannot defend. No coach could fix that. So hopefully Favors becomes that anchor.
I also can agree with only some of this. You're helping the argument by saying that Chicago was able to get more D out of Booze and KK, which points to my underlying thesis: Sloan, despite having a reputation for defense, didn't enforce it. From Sloan, rarely if ever did Boozer lose any time at all--not even from one whistle to the next--for dogging it on D. And game after game of AJ's iffy D had similar effects, even though alternatives were available to at least show these PFs that their playing time was not to be taken for granted, and occasionally they did put forth additional effort, implicitly admitting that they weren't giving 100% and were hurting the team sometimes when they didn't.

Now that the frontcourt is even deeper, let's see if Corbin has the cojones to bench his cogs (Jefferson, a healthy Memo, etc.)--just like Carlisle carefully did--when they are not producing on both ends of the court. Play for performance.

As for Jefferson and Millsap not being able to defend, there were combinations in which this pair did work, and there were combos in which pairing one of them with a real center (Elson or Fes), usually worked better. It wasn't tried too often, though, as evidenced by Elson appearing in only three of the twenty most-used lineups last year (two of which were positive or even +/-), and Fes appearing in only one (also even).

Last edited: