What's new

Jazz need to bring in a big free agent, or they need to consider trading BOTH Rudy and Donovan

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
Regardless of the chatter out in the media about Rudy and/or Donovan being unhappy with the current situation, the Jazz may decide that neither Rudy nor Donovan give the Jazz a franchise cornerstone player to build around. Rudy is a primarily defensive player who is getting older. He can be a complementary player on a championship-level team, but he is ultimately too limited offensively to anchor a championship contender. Meanwhile, league history has demonstrated time and again that dominant scoring guards alone do not normally lead their teams to championships, even if those guards are playing at an MVP level--e.g., Westbrook, Harden, Iverson, Rose, Lillard, etc. The one exception to this might be Steph Curry, but he's probably the best shooter ever, and he had a nice complement of players around him during the Warriors' dynasty years.

To win at the highest level, a team really needs to have three All Star-level players, as well as a well-rounded supporting cast. Normally, one of those star players also needs to be a top-5 MVP candidate. The Jazz aren't there, obviously, and unless they can make some uncanny moves this offseason, they aren't going to be on track to get there whether they keep their current stars or not. If the Jazz were willing to clean house and trade virtually everyone, from Conley and Bojan to Rudy and Donvan, they might come away with enough of a war chest of assets to go after an MVP-level talent. Yes, this would be a hard reset. It would be equivalent to what the Thunder did when they traded both Westbrook and Paul George in the same offseason. The Jazz would need to be willing to drop in the standings for a season or two. However, if they come away with top-of-the-lottery talent, it could be worth it.

There is one other possibility that might help the Jazz, and that would be to offload enough salary in order to clear cap space to sign a significant free agent. In this scenario, the Jazz would be imitating the Warriors when they dumped contracts on the Jazz to sign Andre Iguodala in free agency. The Warriors attached a FRP to offload Andres Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush. In return, the Warriors were able to upgrade a team in the middle of the Western Conference playoff rankings into a real contender.

If the Jazz can attract a top free agent to play next to Gobert and Mitchell, say Zach Lavine, then maybe the Jazz can elevate this current roster. A core of Mitchell, Lavine, Gobert might be enough of an upgrade to move towards the WCF or even the Finals. Jazz would effectively be punting on Conley, Bogdanovic, Gay and/or Clarkson, and they'd have a young or thin roster around their three main players.

Last edited:
Regardless of the chatter out in the media about Rudy and/or Donovan being unhappy with the current situation, the Jazz may decide that neither Rudy nor Donovan give the Jazz a franchise cornerstone player to build around. Rudy is a primarily defensive player who is getting older. He can be a complementary player on a championship-level team, but he is ultimately too limited offensively to anchor a championship contender. Meanwhile, league history has demonstrated time and again that dominant scoring guards alone do not normally lead their teams to championships, even if those guards are playing at an MVP level--e.g., Westbrook, Harden, Iverson, Rose, Lillard, etc. The one exception to this might be Steph Curry, but he's probably the best shooter ever, and he had a nice complement of players around him during the Warriors' dynasty years.

To win at the highest level, a team really needs to have three All Star-level players, as well as a well-rounded supporting cast. Normally, one of those star players also needs to be a top-5 MVP candidate. The Jazz aren't there, obviously, and unless they can make some uncanny moves this offseason, they aren't going to be on track to get there whether they keep their current stars or not. If the Jazz were willing to clean house and trade virtually everyone, from Conley and Bojan to Rudy and Donvan, they might come away with enough of a war chest of assets to go after an MVP-level talent. Yes, this would be a hard reset. It would be equivalent to what the Thunder did when they traded both Westbrook and Paul George in the same offseason. The Jazz would need to be willing to drop in the standings for a season or two. However, if they come away with top-of-the-lottery talent, it could be worth it.

There is one other possibility that might help the Jazz, and that would be to offload enough salary in order to clear cap space to sign a significant free agent. In this scenario, the Jazz would be imitating the Warriors when they dumped contracts on the Jazz to sign Andre Iguodala in free agency. The Warriors attached a FRP to offload Andres Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush on the Jazz. In return, the Warriors were able to upgrade a team in the middle of the Western Conference playoff rankings into a real contender.

If the Jazz can attract a top free agent to play next to Gobert and Mitchell, say Zach Lavine, then maybe the Jazz can elevate this current roster. A core of Mitchell, Lavine, Gobert might be enough of an upgrade to move towards the WCF or even the Finals. Jazz would effectively be punting on Conley, Bogdanovic, Gay and/or Clarkson, and they'd have a young or thin roster around their three main players.
They aren't going to tear it all down with the hosting of the all star game. The problem is that Jazz really have no valuable assets to trade right now.

All we have to do to get cap space is move every player not named Rudy and Donovan and we are gold... so just find enough teams with space to take Mike, Bogey, JC, Royce, Gay, NAW... do this while courting a free agent and netting some assets and we can fill the rest of the roster with minimums.

Sorry bruh... this one of the dumber things I've see proposed.

Embrace the tank.

All we have to do to get cap space is move every player not named Rudy and Donovan and we are gold... so just find enough teams with space to take Mike, Bogey, JC, Royce, Gay, NAW... do this while courting a free agent and netting some assets and we can fill the rest of the roster with minimums.

Sorry bruh... this one of the dumber things I've see proposed.

Embrace the tank.
There were two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says, how do you drive this thing?

They aren't going to tear it all down with the hosting of the all star game. The problem is that Jazz really have no valuable assets to trade right now.

Figures, perfect time to cash out on both Mitchell and Gobert along with their childish feuding, and not be terribly impacted because guys like Clarkson and Dok are going to step up along with incomings like possibly Fournier and Vucevic along with multiple first rounders for the years ahead! But noooooo, we ain't going to do that and ruin our chances of having two All Stars in the hometown hosting of the event. And of course, that means Snyder stays as well! Somebody shoot me, just put me out of my misery!

Honesty, if we’ve got nothing better I wouldn’t mind taking a shot at Tobias Harris and Thybulle for Conley, Gay, and whatever else we need. Philly needs off that contract, we could break it up for them into smaller chunks of decent players they could either sell off individually or keep. We get back a really good player on a way too big contract, but also an amazing defender in thybulle who we could negotiate the next deal with. Retain our future picks, get rid of some bad money in the deal and bring in some upgrades. To me, it’s worth a shot. Hell, maybe at that point you do trade Bojan and some picks for Jeremi grant.

Donovan- thybulle - grant- Harris- gobert

Butler- Royce- joe ingles on min- house- (white side?)

NAW-

More athletic, if it goes to crap we’re stuck with Harris but at that point we’ve sold off our stars for but returns so who cares to have an overpaid dude on a tanking team.

I could see the Jazz trade Gobert to the Pels if the Pels were to send back Valanciunas, Trey Murphy and two Lakers' picks. Pels have the Lakers FRPs unprotected in 2022 and 2024, plus a pick swap in 2023.

Pels with McCollum, Ingram, Jones, Zion and Rudy would be legit contenders.

Trading Donovan is a fake scenario that only occurs if Donovan demands out himself. Even if you think it is the best possible move, you’re kidding yourself if that’s a realistic option that the franchise is considering.

Wake up call is not the right term here. I don’t think people would actually deny that what’s about to happen is about to happen. But there’s a ton of energy spent on theoreticals that absolutely will not happen. Jazz trading Don without him demanding it himself is as realistic as us trading Mike Conley for Giannis. It ain’t happening.

Will depend on what FO think of current situation. If they do believe that adding one good player can give us a 2 years window, they may try to do it and get a good FA. If they do believe that Don-Rudy partnership even with another good player has no chance of winning, they may go for a complete rebuild. Both options are possible for me .

Trading Donovan is a fake scenario that only occurs if Donovan demands out himself. Even if you think it is the best possible move, you’re kidding yourself if that’s a realistic option that the franchise is considering.

Wake up call is not the right term here. I don’t think people would actually deny that what’s about to happen is about to happen. But there’s a ton of energy spent on theoreticals that absolutely will not happen. Jazz trading Don without him demanding it himself is as realistic as us trading Mike Conley for Giannis. It ain’t happening.
Exactly. Spot on.

You don't have to be a Don hater or Don fan to realize that building around a 25 year old 3 time All Star under contract the next 3+ years is the path they will take.

If he wants to stay....

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

We don't even have the salary space to do a Memo/Booz type of signing. Unless we can offload Conley’s contract. Gay too

Figures, perfect time to cash out on both Mitchell and Gobert along with their childish feuding, and not be terribly impacted because guys like Clarkson and Dok are going to step up along with incomings like possibly Fournier and Vucevic along with multiple first rounders for the years ahead! But noooooo, we ain't going to do that and ruin our chances of having two All Stars in the hometown hosting of the event. And of course, that means Snyder stays as well! Somebody shoot me, just put me out of my misery!
B-A-N-G!!!!!!!