What's new

Jazz need to realize this is the best shot at winning a title

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

Probably since the Stockton and Malone era.

It feels like the jazz need to do something to solidify their chances.

One move I’d like to see is trading for Reddick. He fits the identity of this team, remember the second time the jazz traded for Korver, at the time the jazz were losing a lot and couldn’t hit a jump shot to save their lives, adding Korver completely turned out shooting around and revitalized the team. Adding Reddick now would give an already elite offense yet another gear. Honestly I’m not sure he would cost too much to be honest, not saying we can get another JC deal, but I don’t think it would break the bank. It’s something to discuss, maybe my idea isn’t the right move, so I’d like to here from the rest of you idiots on what realistic move gets us closer to a nba title?

I agree with the basic premise of this thread. I don't think we need another small guard.

I don't have a clear move that puts us over the hump and makes us the favorite. I think the best we could hope for is an OP jr. trade and eventual buyout... but I'd say that has like less than a 5% chance of happening. I think we'd have a low likelihood of being the favorite.

We are really good so any trade that adds something likely takes something away too. I think our hopes ride on:

1- DM and Mike making shots when it counts.
2- Rudy finding a way to be ultra effective regardless of matchup in the playoffs.
3- Getting some damn luck... like we stay healthy and AD isn't 100%... or PG is hurt... or the Nets lose to Philly... or something weird like Bojan goes on a heater in the playoffs. We will need some luck... all title teams do.

I don’t think it needs to be a trade. Maybe someone that would be useful to the jazz will get bought out? I haven’t seen many rumors of who will be bought out. Thought?

I can pretty much guarantee we will not bring anyone else in besides 10-days, as the team is fully focused on tax mitigation. The only thing I could see happening is if they somehow found a trade that would help us avoid the tax. Otherwise I just don't see us making any moves at all.

Frankly I am not certain the team feels we need anything else. We do, as fans, but I'm sure the FO feels comfortable and confident in what we have on the floor right now so unless some giant blockbuster fell into our laps, we aren't adding anything at this point.

I agree with the basic premise of this thread. I don't think we need another small guard.

I don't have a clear move that puts us over the hump and makes us the favorite. I think the best we could hope for is an OP jr. trade and eventual buyout... but I'd say that has like less than a 5% chance of happening. I think we'd have a low likelihood of being the favorite.

We are really good so any trade that adds something likely takes something away too. I think our hopes ride on:

1- DM and Mike making shots when it counts.
2- Rudy finding a way to be ultra effective regardless of matchup in the playoffs.
3- Getting some damn luck... like we stay healthy and AD isn't 100%... or PG is hurt... or the Nets lose to Philly... or something weird like Bojan goes on a heater in the playoffs. We will need some luck... all title teams do.

We also don’t have much trade-able contracts outside of our core guys. Not a lot of total combined contracts to move.

Redick will do nothing to make us better. He is not what we need.

I'd take Redick in a flipping heartbeat, the guy can still stroke it, but I question the org's ability to take on that contract given the tax implications.

Would still prefer a big defensive wing. Preferably one who can shoot - but a big wing defender who can shoot is going to be very expensive to trade for.

Redick makes $13M, so the only way we could end up with him is as a ring-chasing buyout. In that case I'd definitely take him. A team like the Lakers could really use a spot-up shooter and have more minutes. But he's said a lot of favorable things about us.

But NOP suck at shooting, averaging 35.9% from deep and have limited spacing. If they're wanting to compete this year, then maybe they wouldn't want to buy him out.

But if we're talking about grabbing a 37 year old Redick, we should also be talking about grabbing a 40 year old Korver.

The trade deadline might allow the opportunity to pick up a decent part and trade two or three of our parts gathering dust on the bench so the salaries match.

I read on Tony Jones' twitter feed that someone said Ersan Ilyasova is in town right now. I can't find the link but he makes some sense to me as a role player to give some spot up minutes defending the elite length players in spot minutes without giving up too much of the spread offense (36% from 3 last year). He wouldn't cost anything major other than a spot and a min. contract.

I read on Tony Jones' twitter feed that someone said Ersan Ilyasova is in town right now. I can't find the link but he makes some sense to me as a role player to give some spot up minutes defending the elite length players in spot minutes without giving up too much of the spread offense (36% from 3 last year). He wouldn't cost anything major other than a spot and a min. contract.
Found it...

Ilyasova is a great hustle energy guy who can shoot a bit, okay defense, and rebounds. I didn't see him much last year but the year before that he was pretty solid in the playoffs. He could be a rotation player if someone gets hurt. He could play the 4 or 5 3rd string role. I prefer bringing in proven vets over potential guys, especially come playoffs.