What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

No way he does that... its not just 44M its like $100M he would walk from. If he opts out he gets a big three year deal and then asks out during the year... the guy is on every other commercial... he won't leave that much money on the table.
I doubt he does that too. Just saying it's possible.

I guess if Phoenix won't help Paul by doing a S&T, I guess they could trade Paul (after he picks up his player option) to the Lakers for KCP, Kuzma and THT or Shroeder. They could then pawn off those guys individually in other trades.

The Lakers would have Paul's Bird Rights at that point. Phoenix will have sapped LA of a lot of resources and put them miles into the luxury.

I get that. Can you turn Bojan into a rangey defender who is at defend 2v3 situations on the weakside? Probably not, and he's not the only one on this roster. We are playing with so many statues on defense and you can't put that all on Quin. But I do think defense is very habitual, and Quin built habits for everyone besides the C to be a statue.

If he doesn't recognize that he's part of the problem we are done for. It's frustrating to see everyone asked to do less on defense when that is clearly our main issue. One of the more disappointing things over the past few seasons is how we've essentially allowed Mitchell to become a complete zero on defense and embrace his new found awful defense. Meanwhile, Monty Williams has Devin Booker taking on the toughest assignments and fairing well in those matchups. Demand more from your players, not less.

I can't disagree if you think Quin had an impossible task defensively with this roster. But I also think his coaching his very much a part of the problem. Give him 5 all NBA defenders and we still get cooked with our defensive principles.
On the other hand I think we had the third best defense in the league.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

They're also very long and athletic. Something the Jazz don't have at ALL outside of Rudy (Don is athletic AF but not long)
Don's wingspan is like 6'10", Don is long, he just doesn't play defense lol. He's short though for sure.

On the other hand I think we had the third best defense in the league.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
In the regular season... for several years the defense has been ****** in the playoffs. The swing is pretty wild... Bucks defense was actually much better in the playoffs than in the regular season... there is a difference. Our defense went from Lakers, Suns, Bucks level in the regular season to Wizards, Nuggets, Mavs levels in the playoffs.

In a lot of ways, I feel like the effort exerted in this thread will outweigh what we actually do. I think we'll kick the tires on a few options, but I just get the sense that the core will run back in so many ways.

Does Conley come back? Entirely on him - I think we give him the best chance to win but I think he's going to want that last sizable contract before calling it a day.

I feel like getting takers for Faves is going to be uphill - I think Ingles sticks around as a glue guy. Bojan is probably the most tradable asset realistically but I really think the team would rather keep him and improve the bench scoring. If we don't come away with a stretch four, how do we expect to take the step?

As for the bottom of the roster, we really need to know if these guys can crack the bench unit. Can Udoka get some minutes? Can Elijah get some PT? Are Oni and Brantley pretenders?

Because our system works in the regular season. We've had historically bad defensive breakdowns two seasons in a row in the playoffs. The defense is not built for the playoffs and is very easily exploitable.
Just two seasons? Nah

In a lot of ways, I feel like the effort exerted in this thread will outweigh what we actually do. I think we'll kick the tires on a few options, but I just get the sense that the core will run back in so many ways.

Does Conley come back? Entirely on him - I think we give him the best chance to win but I think he's going to want that last sizable contract before calling it a day.

I feel like getting takers for Faves is going to be uphill - I think Ingles sticks around as a glue guy. Bojan is probably the most tradable asset realistically but I really think the team would rather keep him and improve the bench scoring. If we don't come away with a stretch four, how do we expect to take the step?

As for the bottom of the roster, we really need to know if these guys can crack the bench unit. Can Udoka get some minutes? Can Elijah get some PT? Are Oni and Brantley pretenders?
Most likely not a lot of movement. What we need is a better end of bench options that fit our needs but the bigger issue is we need some coaching flexibility and self-awareness. Unlikely to change on the latter.

Because our system works in the regular season. We've had historically bad defensive breakdowns two seasons in a row in the playoffs. The defense is not built for the playoffs and is very easily exploitable.
Sad but true

I think the answer, although difficult to stomach, is to S&T Conley to an Eastern Conference team for the best offer we can get. Something like:

To Boston for Smart and one of their young guys
To Indiana for Brogdon
Three team deal where we get Nance and assets while Sexton goes to a 3rd team
To Orlando for Jonathan Isaac???
Three team deal where we get Jerami Grant and Conley goes to a 3rd team

I think bringing him back doesn't solve our issues in either the short or long term. He's got a good rep right now. Trade high.

I think we would have lost to the Suns in the conference finals, but would have beaten the Bucks had we advanced.
I think the answer, although difficult to stomach, is to S&T Conley to an Eastern Conference team for the best offer we can get. Something like:

To Boston for Smart and one of their young guys
To Indiana for Brogdon
Three team deal where we get Nance and assets while Sexton goes to a 3rd team
To Orlando for Jonathan Isaac???
Three team deal where we get Jerami Grant and Conley goes to a 3rd team

I think bringing him back doesn't solve our issues in either the short or long term. He's got a good rep right now. Trade high.
I doubt a sign and trade is on the table.

It could also help to manage players a bit better during the regular season. Don’t run the top 8 guys into the ground chasing the top seed. Make sure everyone gets to the playoffs in good shape even if it means being a slightly lower seed. Throw some of the young guys (Hughes, Brantley, Doke) out there some times with rotation players outside of garbage time. Create a proper opportunity to evaluate who can contribute and who can’t. Brantley had a good game in such a situation this season, got the water bottle treatment and was never seen again.

If Mike wants more than the MLE and doesn't want to go to Dallas, NY, OKC, Cleveland, Sacramento, Miami or Houston, he'll need a S&T.
I think the odds are extremely high he plays for Dallas, NYC, Miami, or the Jazz next season.

Nah you need Mike… you hope he’s healthy at the right time. Lots of players are in that same situation injury wise… Kawhi, Kyrie, CP, hell even Steph. We need great options on the bench to help manage things and a philosophy change. Maybe we feel graduated from being a every year playoff team class and now move to the build for a full blown title class. Watching Jrue lock up Booker should help folks understand why you need Mike. You need multiple high level scorer creators.

Get some good bench alternatives… pivot with some of the solid guys but only if something really good comes up. Maybe the bench options you get allow you to move Bojan or JC for a different type of part we need. Then be opportunistic as hell… a Torrey Craig, Blake Griffin, PJ Tucker type addition becomes available then go make it happen. We need all the ammo we can get… even if some of it doesn’t end up being used. Tell Quin he needs to experiment and prepare for multiple styles. If he doesn’t do it then we need to move on.

Give yourself the best chance possible… it likely doesn’t work… look at the clips and Nets… **** happens. If it doesn’t work make the big pivot the following year if you feel you need to. Donovan more than likely wants to leave in 2-3 years… the best way to maximize him is to keep what we have and add to it. If Ryan gets the bill and pays it… then we need to understand in future years when we operate near the floor when we are rebuilding… and continue supporting the product through the lean years.

I don't follow either sport. How does that work out?
They have a number of rounds of their drafts. I don't know the specifics, but when teams lose starting players, they are compensated by getting an extra 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th rounder depending on the quality and contract of the lost player.

I think this only works if the NBA went to a 3 round setup instead of a 2.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Great people of Alabama
Great people of Texas

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app