What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Lots of tough decisions to be made this offseason, and I pray it isn’t DL or Zanik making the decisions.

- the Brantley and Oni experiences need to be done. They are not NBA players. Replace them with literally any vet minimum players, or buy some second round picks and take another swing at finding an NBA player. I am ambivalent on what happens with Hughes and/or Forrest.
- get Doke some serious run in summer league. See what we have there.
- it’d be nice to find a way to get rid of Favors without giving anything up. Man, what were we thinking there.
- I don’t know what to do about Georges. He is a rotation player against most teams and is pretty cheap.
- field trade offers for everyone not named Mitchell, and if there is anything there that potentially makes us better in five years, do it. Some combination or one of Bogey, Clarkson, or Ingles needs to be turned into perimeter defense.
- do the obvious thing we should have done last year with Bane and draft Chris Duarte if he is there when we pick. Yes, he is older, but he is right on Don’s timeline.
- find a way to get Marcus Garrett from Kansas in the second round or as an undrafted guy. I promise he is a Thybulle. I PROMISE.

I know Tobias Harris got a lot more than Bojan, but Harris is a better all-around player and about four years younger. That’s one thing.

Another thing is Malcolm Brogdon is basically the perfect backcourt mate for Mitchell and went for a rate that I refuse to believe the Jazz couldn’t have gotten him.

Conley and Bogey have been good. But the age thing was always a problem, not to mention Bogey’s bad D and passing and Mike’s size. And I get it, the Jazz got both of them whereas they probably only could’ve gotten one of Harris or Brogdon. But they also get to keep assets to build the team with and that’s important.

If the Jazz win it all (or get damn close) by going all-in on aging dudes, then it’s hard to argue against it. Anything less and it looks pretty damn short-sighted.
I wanted both Brogdon and Harris... bummer

Honestly, Rudy was meant to play with Trae Young. That is a perfect pair. The Hawks also have some wares we would like. I am not saying we should trade Rudy, but the Hawks as a trade partner make a **** ton of sense for both sides if it does happen.

We could get Capela, one of their other nice young pieces, and draft compensation out of it. I also wouldn’t hate doing something with Indiana for Brogdon and Sabonis.

Just some crazy ideas.

I wanted both Brogdon and Harris... bummer
I would’ve been happy with *either* + the assets (Crowder, Allen, two 1sts, four 2nds, etc). Both would’ve been insane (and if the Jazz hadn’t re-signed Exum then it was within the realm of possibility).

This game is fruitless. Also... maybe you coulda just got Jimmy Butler outright?

Wish our local media would actually ask hard hitting questions to Quinn and DL instead of underhand fluffballs. They're almost as soft as Rudy is

Honestly, Rudy was meant to play with Trae Young. That is a perfect pair. The Hawks also have some wares we would like. I am not saying we should trade Rudy, but the Hawks as a trade partner make a **** ton of sense for both sides if it does happen.

We could get Capela, one of their other nice young pieces, and draft compensation out of it. I also wouldn’t hate doing something with Indiana for Brogdon and Sabonis.

Just some crazy ideas.
Capela, Hunter, Huerter would be awesome. And probably what Rudy is worth. Hawks hang up laughing though.

Trae and Rudy would be incredible together.

Rudy’s limitations are exactly why it would make sense to have the C depth be more perimeter-oriented because the Jazz have no ****ing versatility. It’s just:
-put big man in paint
-hit as many threes as you can shoot
-sometimes pass inside

It’s not a winning formula in the playoffs at all. If you’re not gonna have the best top-end talent then you sure as **** better have versatility on your roster.

To answer the more general question of the thread; last off-season was the last chance to do anything substantial and the Jazz used their two best assets to grab two low-skill centers and giving the entire bag to their best low-skill center. The Jazz have almost no chance at even a diamond in the rough because they pissed away all of their 2nds, too. Homers laughed at the criticisms while the Jazz thumped teams reeling from a compressed regular season but this **** was always real, was always a problem, and now we are directly facing the consequences.

The upshot to this is I can spend less of my summer(s) figuring out what the Jazz can do to improve the roster.
So much this... if you must fail... fail in a different way. Give the bag to Jamychal Green to come in and be the backup 5 and make Quin figure it out during the regular season. He'd at least allow you to go big and small... gives some versatility.

You could also take a moonshot at Boucher... the shot looks janky but if he can protect the rim and shoot then that changes things right.

Hell you could use the MLE on a perimeter player (guard or wing) and say we will have a minimum player as a backup... Frank the Tank or Alex Len are totally gettable examples... i mean you did just draft a center so it buys you a year to get him ready.

Hell go get Favs... give him 3 years even... but he has to take $2m less per year so we can avoid the tax and the repeater effect in the future... maybe he negotiates full mle but only two years... maybe he walks... any of those options are much much better.

DL is sloppy and he's conservative... nailed a couple picks obvi but drafting is as much luck as it is skill... he's showed with the though processes behind his other picks that he may just have had a little drafting luck.

Wish our local media would actually ask hard hitting questions to Quinn and DL instead of underhand fluffballs. They're almost as soft as Rudy is
I mean DL would have to do media to get asked a tough question... only does media these days when his character is attacked.

I’m not saying there isn’t some version of a more versatile team featuring Don and without Rudy that is more successful in the postseason.

But we simply can’t make it happen. The team was built around Rudy. He has WAY less value anywhere else. So the number 1 asset you might flip, you are getting pennies on the dollar in terms of impact back in a trade. Gobert guarantees you a great regular season defense and is a huge floor raiser. Lose him and play-in game or missing the playoffs completely becomes a real possibility.

And beyond that. The asset cupboard is absolutely wiped clean. While I understand the desire. We are simply in no position to completely rebuild the roster that just got us the best record in the league. We don’t have the moves to make.

Let Ryan Smith spend a bonkers luxury tax bill by retaining Conley. And run it back hoping for better health luck. And make some roster improvements on the fringes. I don’t see any other viable options.
I think Rudy has trade value... may not love what we got in return (will not get Sabonis or Brown as proposed by @LoPo ).

We'd almost certainly take a step back in the regular season... maybe a huge step back... but to a team that hasn't made the playoffs I could see them ponying up a decent haul.

Its all the other stuff you'd want to do to re-tool that would come with that. You wouldn't do that large of a pivot with an unprotected (basically) pick hanging out there for next year. You'd have to have brass stones to make that sort of move a year earlier than maybe you should. We only makes moves a year or two too late under DL.

So yeah its hitting on a minimum home run like Payne, Dort, or a draft pick like Bane... nailing a fringe move like a second for Bruce Brown and we can get slightly better. I have no confidence DL can do it... we've had glaring needs and ample opportunities to address those needs and punted... year after year.

I think Rudy has trade value... may not love what we got in return (will not get Sabonis or Brown as proposed by @LoPo ).

We'd almost certainly take a step back in the regular season... maybe a huge step back... but to a team that hasn't made the playoffs I could see them ponying up a decent haul.

Its all the other stuff you'd want to do to re-tool that would come with that. You wouldn't do that large of a pivot with an unprotected (basically) pick hanging out there for next year. You'd have to have brass stones to make that sort of move a year earlier than maybe you should. We only makes moves a year or two too late under DL.

So yeah its hitting on a minimum home run like Payne, Dort, or a draft pick like Bane... nailing a fringe move like a second for Bruce Brown and we can get slightly better. I have no confidence DL can do it... we've had glaring needs and ample opportunities to address those needs and punted... year after year.
I think we’d get a better haul for a 5 time All-NBA, 2x all-star, and 3x DPOY than many people on here think.

I don’t think there’s a package where we net Jaylen Brown, but Indiana easily gives us Sabonis in a package for Rudy. Zero doubt of that.

So if Conley and Donovan both play game 6 and 7 and Jazz win series does that change off season plan
Of course it does. I think Smith will have a much easier time justifying going deep into the tax if we advance past this round.

How can you justify it for a semi-finals treadmill roster though?

This just isn’t happening though. We’re an hour away from seeing the word “questionable” and about 24 hours from seeing the word “out.”

I think we’d get a better haul for a 5 time All-NBA, 2x all-star, and 3x DPOY than many people on here think.

I don’t think there’s a package where we net Jaylen Brown, but Indiana easily gives us Sabonis in a package for Rudy. Zero doubt of that.
You are wrong... Sabonis is younger and Indiana isn't full on in win now mode. Offense gets paid more than defense. Sorry.

I agree. Indiana has been split between Sabonis and Turner for a while. Neither has blown them away. I think Rudy fits them perfectly. And in the East, he has better pre-Finals matchups with more teams that rely on a traditional center.

Charlotte might give us such a haul that we use the picks to acquire some of what we lack.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

If you trade Rudy you are likely looking at something like Harrison Barnes and the Kings pick this year... maybe some other minor throw ins. Hornets and Wizards could do some poo-poo platter of stuff... same with the Knicks. Warriors might do Wiggins, Wiseman and a pick (the Green Rudy fit would be rough though).

It would be a pretty mediocre return and you'd be relying on hitting on the draft capital or the prospect to make it work. The hope is to move the championship window or give you the flexibility to open it up.

I agree. Indiana has been split between Sabonis and Turner for a while. Neither has blown them away. I think Rudy fits them perfectly. And in the East, he has better pre-Finals matchups with more teams that rely on a traditional center.

Charlotte might give us such a haul that we use the picks to acquire some of what we lack.

Sabonis has blown them away... there is no split there whatsoever.

Indiana doesn’t do that. And it doesn’t answer the concern that that would at least make the Jazz much worse in the regular season.

Unless proven otherwise, I am absolutely in the camp that the return in a Rudy trade would be less than the value of just keeping Rudy, even understanding his limitations. The move has always been where you can improve around that understanding, and getting a big that is the opposite of Rudy in a lot of ways as his backup I think would go a long way in the playoffs. That’s worth the MLE (and beyond if they can play next to Rudy as well). Getting a worse, hobbled version of Rudy absolutely is not worth that.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if DL does not resign and/or is not let go after this year. The roster ****ups, bad trades losing assets to cover prior bad roster moves, and lest we forget — Millsap-gate will likely do him in with the ownership.

I think there is something going on with Ainge behind the scenes. Not sure I’m crazy about it, but I think it’s there.

Sabonis has blown them away... there is no split there whatsoever.
There was plenty of speculation that Sabonis was available at the right price at the deadline.

Brogdon was definitely available. Maybe Indiana sends us Turner and Brogdon for Rudy.

I think Indiana, especially in 3 team scenarios, is a possibility.