What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Utah Jazz want Mike Conley to return, finding more guard and wing depth on a budget: Offseason questions
https://theathletic.com/2689414/202...fseason-questions/?source=user_shared_article
A couple things:

- I honestly wouldn’t mind bringing Neto back on a cheap deal. Teague would be fine too.
- I am glad the Jazz are prioritizing bringing Conley back. It’s a no brainer. I hope he wants to be back.
- Whether or not Conley comes back, I think we need to do more than use the mini-MLE and sign vet min guys (i.e., we need a trade). If Conley does not come back, there needs to be a hard pivot of some kind, IMO.

Based on the Tony Jones article this morning, the Jazz really want Conley back and are gonna make a hard push for Nic Batum.

Guess someone is reading my **** here on Jazzfanz. Re-signing Conley, signing Batum (I assume to full MLE though I’m not sure why he’d take it as I think he can get much more), nailing the 30th pick, buying another 1st or high 2nd and nailing that, adding a super cheap pg (Elfrid Payton plz) somehow too, and then watching Quin really limit starter minutes (Rudy and Don to 32, everyone else <30) to get the young guys burn would be a complete boner of an off-season and a season.

A couple things:

- I honestly wouldn’t mind bringing Neto back on a cheap deal. Teague would be fine too.
- I am glad the Jazz are prioritizing bringing Conley back. It’s a no brainer. I hope he wants to be back.
- Whether or not Conley comes back, I think we need to do more than use the mini-MLE and sign vet min guys (i.e., we need a trade). If Conley does not come back, there needs to be a hard pivot of some kind, IMO.

I think Teague is cooked. I’d really like to see someone like Payton here who’s known for his strong defense. It’s a wrinkle we don’t have at the 1 right now. And I’d guess he’d be super cheap.

Last edited:
The Jazz really need to find ways to get longer/more athletic, as well as younger. We don’t want to lose Mike for nothing but I hope it’s like a 3 year contract with team control over the 3rd year or even a flat 2 year contract.
Yes, I agree. Especially on the younger front. Otherwise, there’s really nowhere to pivot except to a total rebuild if things go south. That’s what happens when you deplete your assets to get older to contend.

Bogey needs to be moved for someone younger, longer and athletic with some upside, IMO. To match, it might mean taking on some average salary we don’t really want to get a younger guy we do want.

If finishing 2nd in 6th MOY voting is not playing well, then I'll take it!
Just like the rest of the Jazz as a whole, Ingles underperformed in the playoffs. His defense especially was noticeable, at least to me. He's just getting older and never relied on athleticism, it happens. Still love the guy and would be loathe to trade him.

I love the optimism in this thread getting off Fave's contract. I don't think that is going to happen that easy. He won't be a starter for any team with his minutes restrictions so I don't see why teams that want to contend for a playoff spot would buy low on him.

At best we would be getting a similar contract back.

I wonder if the Jazz are going to go old in FA signing and really walk the walk in young player development with the bringing in the Notre Dame guy that set Australia on fire and the having of a second summer league team to find undrafted gems. I think Quin was sending a message that he really did not like last year's draft by not playing those guys.

Well, my takeaway is that we are still trying to be damn old to win a title next year. Not saying I agree or disagree.

Other names mentioned in the article: Jeff Teague and Raul Neto. Looks like a “run it back” situation with some minor tuning.

I just disagree with the FO on how close we are to winning it all. I think we need more than a couple end of rotation guys that provide a bit of versatility. I think we need starter/initial rotation level changes around Conley/Mitchell/Gobert that significantly upgrade this team’s length and athleticism.
I guess it's worth one more shot, but I'm with you. The Jazz are at least 2 major pieces away from contending and have too many holes-length, perimeter D, athleticism, vet bench players instead of half a bench of young projects, etc.

There are realistic paths forward: A-one a real run at the title, or B-retool for a run in a couple years. I'm leaning B.

A-seems to be what they're going for. Re-sign Conley, get a backup for him like Neto (Teague is done,) sign Batum, etc. I don't think this works if they just make minor moves like that, because the roster is inherently flawed. You need to move Bojan for someone more well rounded like Tobias Harris. Let the half dozen young projects walk for vets: Rudy Gay, James Johnson, Reggie Bullock, etc.

B-get under the tax, move some of the older guys, find placeholders/young vets, etc. Let Conley walk, trade Bojan and maybe Ingles for cap and picks or a younger prospect like Lauri Markennen, try to dump Favors, etc. Play the young projects like Oni and Morgan. Try to fix the flaws in the roster-the tiny backcourt, the lack of athleticism and perimeter D, the lack of size. Do not move picks, at all, for the love of god. Try to get a Lonzo Ball type that compliments Donovan, or low cost placeholders like Ish Smith. Contemplate moving Rudy, but only for a solid deal bordering - has to be as good or better than the Deron Williams trade.

What I think they're going to do is A and half-*** it. They'll keep last year's line up, not make major moves, not develop any of the young guys during the season, trade yet another pick for someone that doesn't move the needle, and still fall short. They'll probably overpay Niang. They'll keep mortgaging the future instead of addressing the real issues. I don't think Zanik will be any bolder than DL.

GOBERT for 3rd pick as Mobley???
his body language and energy level raises red flags for some … His lack of bulk is the main cause for concern in terms of physical attributes Look at Rudy work has done, We're now win mode team.
We need veteran and wing depth not new young center.
And most people are incredibly skeptical of the Jazz’s contender status for good reason.

If the Jazz stay on the track they are on, the Jazz will probably miss the playoffs in Donovan’s contract year and you can guarantee he’s gone then.

I guess it's worth one more shot, but I'm with you. The Jazz are at least 2 major pieces away from contending and have too many holes-length, perimeter D, athleticism, vet bench players instead of half a bench of young projects, etc.

There are realistic paths forward: A-one a real run at the title, or B-retool for a run in a couple years. I'm leaning B.

A-seems to be what they're going for. Re-sign Conley, get a backup for him like Neto (Teague is done,) sign Batum, etc. I don't think this works if they just make minor moves like that, because the roster is inherently flawed. You need to move Bojan for someone more well rounded like Tobias Harris. Let the half dozen young projects walk for vets: Rudy Gay, James Johnson, Reggie Bullock, etc.

B-get under the tax, move some of the older guys, find placeholders/young vets, etc. Let Conley walk, trade Bojan and maybe Ingles for cap and picks or a younger prospect like Lauri Markennen, try to dump Favors, etc. Play the young projects like Oni and Morgan. Try to fix the flaws in the roster-the tiny backcourt, the lack of athleticism and perimeter D, the lack of size. Do not move picks, at all, for the love of god. Try to get a Lonzo Ball type that compliments Donovan, or low cost placeholders like Ish Smith. Contemplate moving Rudy, but only for a solid deal bordering - has to be as good or better than the Deron Williams trade.

What I think they're going to do is A and half-*** it. They'll keep last year's line up, not make major moves, not develop any of the young guys during the season, trade yet another pick for someone that doesn't move the needle, and still fall short. They'll probably overpay Niang. They'll keep mortgaging the future instead of addressing the real issues. I don't think Zanik will be any bolder than DL.
Yep, and the end result of this is a long, painful rebuild.

Here’s the deal. It wasn’t even the Clippers that exposed the current roster construction, it was the GODDAMNED Minnesota Timberwolves, who are very young, long, and athletic. They gummed up our entire offense with their length and were terribly hard for us to defend because of their length and athleticism.

We can’t solve even bad teams that can throw a lot of perimeter length at us. It’s more than just a couple vet min signings. We need at least one starter level guy with length and athleticism and one key rotation guy with length and athleticism, or this team ain’t winnin’ ****.

It won’t hurt bolstering the end of the rotation and roster with some length, athleticism, and shooting (I mean yeah, go sign a big guard like Wayne Selden for the minimum that is playing in Israel now—still young, long, can defend, and can shoot the 3 a bit), but that’s not going to get us over the hump.

Last edited:
Hoopshype picked up Tony's article about Conley and Batum. They also had a bunch of Summer League rosters from two years ago. On the Jazz roster were rookies JWF, Brantley, and Oni, Bradley, Willie Reed, Stanton Kidd, William Howard, Isiah Cousins, Jarus Lyles and the trombone player. We need the trombone player back. He had a big game and was on Sportscenter. When is the last time the Jazz had one of the scrubs on Sportscenter? Quin ought to be lobbying hard to get him back in the fold.

Based on the Tony Jones article this morning, the Jazz really want Conley back and are gonna make a hard push for Nic Batum.

I've really been hoping we could nab Batum. I wonder if our taxpayer MLE is enough to get him or if he's going to get offered more than that from another team? I'm sure it helps that him and Rudy are friends.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't see how you have any chance at keeping Donovan in a few years if you don't pivot like right now. You cannot just keep getting older without any good young talent that will be useful in a few years. I think Donovan seems to like Trent Forrest, and I do as well, his shot is horrible but I think he's a viable young player the Jazz have. Who else though? Like really who? The Jazz are heading down a path to assuredly lose Donovan if they keep building an entirely aging roster. You have to trade some of the age and try to pivot some. Trading Joe, Bogey, Fav (or even consider trading Rudy) to get a little younger and a little more perimeter length has to be done. If you go with Mike, Batum, and can't find ways to get younger, better talent you're so so screwed in a couple years with Donovan, and that's the last thing anyone wants. Donovan is one of the most prized players the franchise has had, or will ever have, there has to be a short and long term outlook and right now it feels like it's just a short term outlook. If you re-sign Mike, I hope the Jazz are immediately looking to trade him for some younger talent. A sign and trade would be nice but isn't super feasible. If theres a chance to buy a good 2nd round pick, or (very unlikely) a first round pick in this draft, they need to do it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be honest, I don't see how you have any chance at keeping Donovan in a few years if you don't pivot like right now. You cannot just keep getting older without any good young talent that will be useful in a few years. I think Donovan seems to like Trent Forrest, and I do as well, his shot is horrible but I think he's a viable young player the Jazz have. Who else though? Like really who? The Jazz are heading down a path to assuredly lose Donovan if they keep building an entirely aging roster. You have to trade some of the age and try to pivot some. Trading Joe, Bogey, Fav (or even consider trading Rudy) to get a little younger and a little more perimeter length has to be done. If you go with Mike, Batum, and can't find ways to get younger, better talent you're so so screwed in a couple years with Donovan, and that's the last thing anyone wants. Donovan is one of the most prized players the franchise has had, or will ever have, there has to be a short and long term outlook and right now it feels like it's just a short term outlook. If you re-sign Mike, I hope the Jazz are immediately looking to trade him for some younger talent. A sign and trade would be nice but isn't super feasible.
The Jazz honestly may be approaching this from the angle that he’s gone no matter what, so they’re going to just try to make the most of the moment.

Unfortunately, the moment to win it all was this year.

I also had the feeling Spida liked Hughes. He was also tight with Tucker but the powers that be voted him off the island after paying the Cavs to take him.

The Jazz honestly may be approaching this from the angle that he’s gone no matter what, so they’re going to just try to make the most of the moment.

Unfortunately, the moment to win it all was this year.
It's possible, but they would have to know know that, and I don't get the feeling that's Ryan Smith's approach. As has been reported, a big reason Smith brought in Wade was because he wants Donovan here for the long term, I think Wade wants Donovan here long term. I just don't think they've completely given in on that. Ryan Smith's biggest goal outside just winning a title is to change the perception and narrative of Utah, I think Donovan re-signing one more time would be huge for that, and I think Smith wants a 3rd contract from Donovan a lot.

If the Jazz bring Conley back there needs to be some shift into how the roster is played during the regular season. Quin and Zanik need to be on the same page with the end of the bench/rotation players giving them more playing time during the regular season because come playoffs time Conley needs to be as close to 100% as possible so get him and other starters as much rest as possible. Do I think if Conley & Donovan were close to 100% this playoffs the Jazz would've gone further? IDK maybe but the definitely would've had a better shot that's for sure.

The big issue is the Jazz absolutely want/need to get longer and more athletic well the problem is that so does every other team in the NBA wants to do that as well and DL screwed the pooch these last few years so now you're already a step behind other teams in that department. Do I think it's impossible? No but it's going to be very difficult to accomplish. It feels like this roster is championship or bust for the next 2 seasons and honestly it might bust before the 2nd season. There's still a lot to be excited about in the short term but equally a lot to be worried about in regards to the future.

I also had the feeling Spida liked Hughes. He was also tight with Tucker but the powers that be voted him off the island after paying the Cavs to take him.
Rayjon Tucker was at that Powder League thing last week for a few days, I've met Tucker, he's a very awesome dude, I wish he could harness his athleticism in a more impactful way. He's very talented, he just isn't a great NBA player. As for Hughes, yeah, I think he has a chance to be a JC type, so there's him as well I guess, but Quin seems to refuse to play him (his defense is supposedly really bad, so that is probably why).