What's new

Jazz Players Frustrated in Half Court Offense

Dwill4mvp

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218960/Jazz_Frustrated_By_Slow_Stagnant_Halfcourt_Offense

Turns out we aren't the only ones that get frustrated when we just dish it down to Paul, and Al. Complaints of ball movement really points to Al, although I'm not sure that is Al's fault. It's not like Devin Harris is trusted to call all the shots like D-Will was. I think it has alot to do with Ty calling for plays to go through the bigs. I understand Paul and Al are probably our best offensive weapons right now, but maybe we need to incorporate some new plays into this offense. We could use some fresh sets, because teams have learned to double down and just hope we miss 3's, which we do. High-Low doesn't always work for them either because they aren't that great of passers even for big men,(not so much for Sap). Also, are bigs are not very reliable at all. Inconsistency has been an issue for them.

Although, I do find Devin Harris to be complete garbage right now. I do notice that nothing is really ran through him. He just passes it to a wing for pick 'n' roll or he dishes it inside. I think that is his fault tho. I think he just doesn't give a ****.

Lack of a pure PG
Poor shooting
Lack of moving without the ball
Minimal passing out of the post

Too easy to defend and tough to score. I blame the last point the most.

I've been bitching for a while about our one-dimensional offense. I thought we'd see it complexify a little bit weeks ago (after the defensive philosophy became a bit more second-nature). We have a poor backcourt, no doubt, but it isn't very controversial to say that they aren't being utilized that well (ahem, Burks and Hayward).

I also wouldn't mind seeing Harris get a few more of his minutes against the opposing teams' second unit and letting him push it harder. That kind of thing doesn't work with SlowAl, but Favors, Kanter, and Sap will run. Let him play a bit more like he did in Dallas; push and then kick to another playmaker (Howard, Burks, *cough*CJ).

It's a bit mind-boggling that our offense looks the same with both units out there. Not only should our starting O be more complex at this point, but the second unit's O (i.e. without SlowAl) should look really different (more high screen-roll and up-tempo).

These are my biggest gripes with Corbin

I know I heard a lot of teams with the lock out primarily focused on D in preseason and I know Corbin said the same and the O would be a work in progress. Sounds like it's time to try and implement some progressions if for no other reason to keep moral and energy up.

I wish the camera guys would do a split screen shot when the Jazz are on offense. I want one on the play and one on the opposing teams bench. I'll bet those guys giggle like little school girls every time the Jazz launch a three. I would have loved to watch the Thunder bench last night for the first 6-7 minutes of the game when we started 1-16 (or whatever it was). They were probably getting a good laugh out of watching our offense.

Last night Harris looked broken like a dead mule that someone tried to beat a fart out of.

Last edited:
lol....

Amazing what an easy early schedule has on a team. Just a few weeks ago everyone was in a hugging fest and David Locke and Ben Bagley were talking about how "great" of chemistry we had.

Now, after being exposed, this team is eating each other. LOL.

If the backcourt players want to bitch about not being utilized, maybe they should attempt a drive, make a shot, get an assist, or hell, GET TO THE FT LINE (other than Burks, NO ONE in our backcourt does it. How does Burks in 1 game get to the FT line more than Devin Harris has in a month?).

Without Millsap, Favors, Kanter, and Jefferson carrying this team, we'd be a top 3 team contending for the top draft pick(s) next year.

We have an allstar frontline and a D-league backcourt. Stop your moaning. It isn't the offensive design that's necessarily the problem (although I concede that it needs to be adjusted. I have no idea why Hayward's curls aren't being used), it's the horrific backcourt play.

Bottom line is we don't have a point guard capable of making us better than an average team. Nothing will change until one is added to the roster.

I'd tend to give Ty more leeway because 2 weeks is a ridiculous amount of time for training camp and preseason - but IMO the biggest reason Utah's halfcourt offense is stagnant is coaching - not talent.

Two Jerryisms:
1. "If you don't do it right, you're not going to get anything out of it."
If you're 100% comitted to the system and you execute it properly, you'll get quality looks at the basket. If you're not, you end up with ugly basketball that results in alot of rushed perimeter shots with the shotclock winding down as well as giving up transition opportunities because you lose floor balance.

2. "Don't hangout" is something else Jerry used to say during timeouts.
That was his way of saying don't stand around and go through the motions on offense. You have to be 100% focused and mentally involved to play Jazzbasketball, not only to set good screens (which we rarely do) but set good screens on time . You can't just go half speed down the lane, you need to set your man up, then cut hard at the opportune time - and there's none of that. It's not just Al's inability to pass out of the lowpost, it's our inability to hit backdoor cutters from the high-post and UCLA sets (which Ty tweaked so the ball doesn't often move to the wing) and we basically get nothing out of those sets. Poor timing, poor screening (I could type another 3 paragraphs on how sissy our screening has become), lackadaisical cutting and we put no pressure on a defense with our passing. Anytime we try to run our flex sets we get nothing and thus are left with Harris/Watson/CJ running a high screen-roll with the shotclock winding down.

As a result, our best option is to repeatedly throw it down to Al on the block - which only amplifies his inconsistency inside of 8-feet and blackholeibility. Al can score the ball but he doesn't change the game - doesn't hurt teams who double and doesn't get opposing bigmen in foul trouble.

Until a team is able to execute any type of offensive system - halfcourt offense is going to be ugly unless you have an elite talent which Utah doesn't.

I would take Utah's offense over 20-25 teams in the NBA.

That being said, lately the players just have been setting awful screens. Raja Bell, Favors (if he doesn't commit Offensive foul), Kanter are the only players lately who seem to be setting good screens.
This offense needs:
1) Good screens
2) Crisp, quick passes (looking at you, Harris)
3) Good off the ball running (Brewer did it best as far as I remember)
4) Big men passing out of post

And right now, the first 3 are just not happening. #4 happens, but I think Al is the only one doing it. Favors and Kanter need to establish themsellves, so I won't be hard on them.....but Milsaps been lacking it.

I'd be frustrated too!

After working hard for position, battling my man down low, drawing the double and triple team, to only pass the ball out and watch CJ, Harris, or Howard clank another or watch Hayward then try and drive and jump up in the air with no where to go would piss me off too.

We're playing with a very good NBA frontline (Millsap, Favors, Jefferson, and Kanter) and a Utah Utes backcourt.