What's new

Jazz Preparing Conley Offer in Range of 75/3

We went 15-6 (.714) with Conley injured last year.
We went 37-14 (.725) with Conley playing.

Does Conley even actually tip the scales for us? Can’t we just focus on putting Don in his natural size position at the 1 and get a defensive 2 and stop having a tiny backcourt?
This has been my (and many others around here) argument since rumors first broke that we might be pursuing Conley 2 years ago. We are now stuck in terms of salary that makes it so Conley is just about the only place we can spend money due to bird rights. I'd rather we look at larger scale (bogey, Ingles, even Clarkson if it makes sense) trades to add perimeter defenders. It's been blatantly obvious for years that we are missing long athletic defensive-minded wings and we've done nothing to address that. Conley is a good player. I like him as a good dude and teammate. He doesn't make the difference that we really need. We need to find at least 1 solid 3&D guy we can throw at the PGs and Kawais of the league, a bigger combo guard to run with, and sometimes without, Mitchell, and we need to re-tool the bench in this same mold.

We have great regular season success because we've built a team with high-floor guys, but we have limited playoff success because those same guys largely have low ceilings. In the playoffs it's the ceilings that matter.

If all we do this off-season is draft another small guard clone and re-sign Conley, which is essentially doing the same thing and expecting different results, then in all likelihood we will get the same results.

Of course there is a chance we roll into the offseason much more healthy and we buck the odds. This year I think we would have advanced if we had been completely healthy against the clippers and we had at least a 50% chance against Phoenix. But this off-season all those teams are going to look to improve and plug the holes on their teams. If we don't do likewise then we are going to **** up maybe the best window we've ever had to win a ring.

When it comes to a guard in their thirties, I really only care about recent injury history, maybe 2-3 years. If I’m not mistaken, most if not all of the games Conley has missed due to injury here are for the same issue, the hamstring.

There is zero evidence to say it can be resolved. At this point it needs to be viewed the way Kawhi’s chronic issue is-something you load manage and hope for the best on, but you have to live with.
It’s not going anywhere.

that’s the main reason I’d rather let him walk, hopefully I’m proven wrong

I can't help but wonder if the people suggesting we "let him walk" understand that we are capped out even if he leaves.
Or that, barring a miracle from our rookie or FA’s signed for the minimum, we have 0% chance of winning a championship without him.

I hate to pay Conley what we will and hate that he always a no show. However without him I don't think we even beat the grizzlies in round 1.

From someone covering the Mavericks. 3 year/$60 million. If true, it feels better.

Don't know how much I trust it but apparently he called Ruddy signing his extension before anyone else.
But if true I like 3/60 a whole lot better than 3/75 now just need to get a team option on year 3 and it's golden.

Don't know how much I trust it but apparently he called Ruddy signing his extension before anyone else.
But if true I like 3/60 a whole lot better than 3/75 now just need to get a team option on year 3 and it's golden.
I would guess the price drop means no TO. If they get a TO it’s a wild steal of a contract from what I was expecting.

No kidding? You like the same amount of years for less money? SHOCKER!

Yes, this guy was the first one to report that Rudy was close to signing a 5 year extension with the Jazz at around $200 million and within a day or two he signed for 5 years and $205 million. I don't know who his sources are but I trust him.

Yes, this guy was the first one to report that Rudy was close to signing a 5 year extension with the Jazz at around $200 million and within a day or two he signed for 5 years and $205 million. I don't know who his sources are but I trust him.

His sources would have to be the agents.

I can't help but wonder if the people suggesting we "let him walk" understand that we are capped out even if he leaves.
I’m more worried about his contract in the two years after next. It just screams albatross to me. The gamble is 100% on next year, the two years after that are the poison pill.

I ain’t mad at 60/3. Mike left money on the table. Nicest guy ever, no doubt. Let’s make sure he’s healthy for the playoffs, eh? And same for joe, pretty ****ing please!?