What's new

Jazz select Udoka Azubuike with pick 27 & trade Tony Bradley + pick 38 to the Pistons

the obvious issue with this "dropping big" strategy is that we will keep relying on that one guy on the floor to carry out all the hustle plays/dirty work without ever touching the basketball, as the other four continue to shoot and handle the ball at every opportunity they are given.

just prepare for more of "40-minute-Royce", folks.

I will gain a little respect for the decision if Udoka is in the rotation to start the season and they actually keep him in there sink or swim... it would show actual invest beyond just picking the kid. BUTTTTT we kinda know that Quin won’t like it if it costs us some games and if Ed plays ****** but not worst center in the league ****** then Udoka will have to put up like 60 in a g league game to take the spot from him. Hopefully we wait until after the trade deadline to install him as the backup and then we will have no choice... DL can throw up his hands... what am I supposed to do?

I love that we are all assuming he will come in a and immediately be a rotation piece. Took us three years to make TB borderline playable.

This was the year to draft a four year guy who can step right in and be better than the guy he replaced. That’s exactly what the jazz did. Udoka should have been a lottery pick.
You forget that we run the sex machine offense and this kid lacks feel and passing ability... not even Veteran Ed could figure out how to not be a major **** up in the offense. Every rookie needs time to figure out the play book.

the issue is never the backup center. it is that we have no guys on other positions who can take load off of our center's shoulder. everyone is basically getting ready to surrender on defense at any moment because they knew their DPOY's got their back. But basketball is supposed to be a five man's game. that's why no matter how many "scorers" we bring in, Royce will continue to be handed 30min a night because he is one of the only guys on the team who can come in and bring the energy/intensity/hustle to the team without even touching the basketball, even though he isn't all that good at it to justify his PT.

Did the Jazz miss the league memo on 3&D wings or something?

The cupboard is bare, we don't even have a pick next year. Take some wings with some upside. All we need is shooters at the corners and dudes who can switch and hold their own on defense,

Could have come away from tonight with Woodard and Bey, no sure thing both make it. But insert either one into the lineup and tell then to play defense and shoot open threes? I think they'd be plenty capable. That is what the team needs.

Plenty of backup big men out there. Hell, go all in on Baynes. Great backup C who actually gives you some different lineup looks.

I just imagine the war rooms of teams around the league reacting when they see what the Knicks did with the pick we gave them, then 10 minutes later we draft a player exactly like our current starting center except 10x worse. And that dude already has a tough time showing his full value in playoff series. Meanwhile the Jazz will start a tiny starting backcourt. With their small and/or unathletic wings and have more massive disadvantages matchup wise once the playoffs role around.

The cupboard is bare, we don't even have a pick next year. Take some wings with some upside. All we need is shooters at the corners and dudes who can switch and hold their own on defense,

Could have come away from tonight with Woodard and Bey, no sure thing both make it. But insert either one into the lineup and tell then to play defense and shoot open threes? I think they'd be plenty capable. That is what the team needs.

Plenty of backup big men out there. Hell, go all in on Baynes. Great backup C who actually gives you some different lineup looks.

I just imagine the war rooms of teams around the league reacting when they see what the Knicks did with the pick we gave them, then 10 minutes later we draft a player exactly like our current starting center except 10x worse. And that dude already has a tough time showing his full value in playoff series. Meanwhile the Jazz will start a tiny starting backcourt. With their small and/or unathletic wings and have more massive disadvantages matchup wise once the playoffs role around.
i'd bet Ed Davis would all of sudden becomes a serviceable backup the moment we insert someone like Bey or Woodard into the lineup, because they don't actually look to their center to bail them out on defense on almost every damn possession.

there are supposed to be guys in a team known as "role players" who specialize at making plays without touching the ball. getting their hands dirty so your stars can shine.

instead, the FO wants to load us with stars-wanna-be who looks to run an entire offense at every given opportunity, DM, Bojan, Ingles, Conley, Clarkson, now add Hughes to the mix. just how useful are these guys when they don't see the ball? not much

Last edited:
Even just as a trade asset... you take a McDaniels and he has a good g league game or two and you can get some trade value out the pick (think anfernee simons).

I just seriously can’t believe we are this dumb... when Don and Rudy leave cuz we aren’t good enough I won’t blame them... just hope we have a more innovative front office to handle the year down and rebuild.

Or the memo on passing bigs that can switch on the perimeter like Tillman? If you want to go with a big that’s fine... get one that gives you a change up or has some upside... this was a terrible pick.

This was the year to draft a four year guy who can step right in and be better than the guy he replaced. That’s exactly what the jazz did. Udoka should have been a lottery pick.
Ten years ago. For a team without a franchise player at center.

I for one love the UDOKA pick!

The Jazz are addressing some major concerns:

1. The got someone who helps then win NOW not a project. He's got an NBA body, and plays through contact. 4 year college, and he's ready to go.
2. Rim protection - the Jazz were among the best in the league with Rudy on the floor last season, when he sat down - they would hemorrhage points in the paint.
3. Rebounding - he's a great rebounder, averaging almost 11 per game in college minutes is terrific.
4. Pick and Roll Defense - this guy moves his feet and reads the action well.
5. He's a legit 5, this guy and his 7'7" wingspan essentially gives us 2 Goberts. Do you realize how frustrated and demoralized teams are going to feel playing against Utah? To give you an idea - Derrick Favors wingspan was 7'4" and he never shot 75% FG in college.

The selection tell us something else too. The Jazz are saving their MID LEVEL EXCEPTION and MINIMUM exception for things other than CENTER. We can draw a pencil line through the name Derrick Favors and Aron Baynes on the free agents list and under line names like:

Bobby Portis
Derrick Jones Jr.
Alec Burks
Rodney Hood
Austin Rivers
Garrett Temple*
Justin Holiday*

Right. Did you see the post I was replying to in regards to his post play?
It wasn’t open dialogue.
I will gain a little respect for the decision if Udoka is in the rotation to start the season and they actually keep him in there sink or swim... it would show actual invest beyond just picking the kid. BUTTTTT we kinda know that Quin won’t like it if it costs us some games and if Ed plays ****** but not worst center in the league ****** then Udoka will have to put up like 60 in a g league game to take the spot from him. Hopefully we wait until after the trade deadline to install him as the backup and then we will have no choice... DL can throw up his hands... what am I supposed to do?

I love that we are all assuming he will come in a and immediately be a rotation piece. Took us three years to make TB borderline playable.
Honestly, I think part of the problem is that a lot of you guys are seeing a TB clone. You need to get away from that kind of thinking.

Bradley was a one year guy who didn’t even start on his college team. He also just wasn’t very good. He had a 24 inch vertical. He was flabby, he lumbered, he played below the rim.

this dude is the antithesis of TB. He played four years. He was productive, all time leader in FG%. 37 inch standing vertical. He’s chiseled, he plays above the rim. He’s experienced.
It took TB three years because he was inexperienced and just not very good at basketball. Udoka is experienced and legitimately good.

the jazz drafted a physical freak of nature who also produced at a high level.

TB was a physical retard who couldn’t even start on his college team.

The guy behind this channel puts together what are in my opinion some of the best video draft prospect breakdowns.

Dudes not just a dunker, but a legit post game/threat. The #'s are there for context.

Well they better figure out a zone cuz he gonna get blown by on the perimeter... better upgrade the wings to help.

Over. But you could throw out that over/under about anybody they might have drafted. Bradley would play over 10.5 minutes and Udoka is twice the player, in that role, Bradley is.
Also, I haven’t been on JF- what is the feeling here? Must be that the Jazz are definitely signing Rudy to the Supermax, right?
They better NOT! I want him back but if he demands supermax I'd rather us trade him.

Good points Seattle Jazz Fan - it's more like the Jazz drafted a taller, more chiseled version of Zion Williamson that can't shoot. Certainly with Udoka, he has a slightly smaller wingspan than Gobert, but his LOB radius is much larger. Dude can catch.

Lmao at some of you clowns.

Utah goes into a very blah draft with a late 1st and some of y'all expect the FO to turn that trash into gold. Then, when it doesn't happen, you lose your ****ing mind and call for everyone to be fired, and declare Utah to be on the same level as the Kings and Knicks.

Maybe it's too much to expect to say some of you need to get a life, but at least invest in a blow-up doll/girlfriend and take her on some pretend dares or something. Y'all been locked away inside with this covid ish for too long.

Well they better figure out a zone cuz he gonna get blown by on the perimeter... better upgrade the wings to help.
Pretty sure tonight was our last chance to upgrade our wings. No valuable wings are gonna be available in FA or wanting to sign with us even if there is one.

Honestly, I think part of the problem is that a lot of you guys are seeing a TB clone. You need to get away from that kind of thinking.

Bradley was a one year guy who didn’t even start on his college team. He also just wasn’t very good. He had a 24 inch vertical. He was flabby, he lumbered, he played below the rim.

this dude is the antithesis of TB. He played four years. He was productive, all time leader in FG%. 37 inch standing vertical. He’s chiseled, he plays above the rim. He’s experienced.
It took TB three years because he was inexperienced and just not very good at basketball. Udoka is experienced and legitimately good.

the jazz drafted a physical freak of nature who also produced at a high level.

TB was a physical retard who couldn’t even start on his college team.
Boban could have been had in a trade... he is similarly effective imo.

There are several guys drafted after Udoka that will be way more impactful in the league and fill needs that are harder to fill. WCS, Whiteside, Alex Len, hell even Javale are out there to be had.

Hope this guy is awesome... if not DL should leave... because the process and thinking on this pick was really bad. If the talent eval is off too then this is kinda the final piece of evidence I’d need to decide I can do better.