What's new

Jazz Sign Ekpe Udoh

Then how many minutes do you see Favors getting next year, if you think Quin is highly reluctant to roll with Rudy/Derrick lineup?

I think he will roll out the Favors/Gobert lineup, I just don't think he is going to finish halves with it. So like, maybe they get on the court and share the first 6 minutes together. Then Favors subs out for JJ or Jonas, and subs back in to play w/ Udoh. So I see them playing 12-ish mpg together, then Favors getting 12-ish w/ Udoh.

But was anyone making this argument prior to this season? IIRC, this argument only came up this year because the lineup was never used. Prior to that it was highly touted.

Yeah it was a huge point of contention in that year because Booker started finishing games in place of Favors or Gobert.

I think he will roll out the Favors/Gobert lineup, I just don't think he is going to finish halves with it. So like, maybe they get on the court and share the first 6 minutes together. Then Favors subs out for JJ or Jonas, and subs back in to play w/ Udoh. So I see them playing 12-ish mpg together, then Favors getting 12-ish w/ Udoh.

I don't see why he wouldn't use Favors/Gobert more this year, Udoh/Favors presents the exact same problems as Gobert/Favors.

He is to hoping and praying that Favors starts the season off very strong so that the Jazz can fleece another team and trade him away. (IE Boston. He would be a great fit next to Horford

I don't see why he wouldn't use Favors/Gobert more this year, Udoh/Favors presents the exact same problems as Gobert/Favors.

No, Udoh has a midrange game and is a better passer (at least he showed that this past year in the Euroleague) than Rudy. You can make Favors the primary roll man and have Udoh space the floor better than Rudy. It's not ideal by any means, but I think Favors offensively could be pretty good next to Udoh in ways he just can't next to Rudy because you aren't running PNR for Favors when the best PNR roll man is on the court.

But I think this year we could see more experimentation from Quin w/ lineups. So maybe Favors/Gobert play more together, maybe they play less. IDK. Anything could happen and I don't 100% believe anything I'm saying about Favors. I think it could go a lot of different ways but if I had to bet I would put it towards more a minutes share among all the bigs not named Gobert.

I've only been talking about the 15/16 season...

Other people are the ones bringing up the past year. I dont use that as evidence for anything because of all the injuries that happened that year.

Looking at 15/16, our backup 5 still stunk and I'd imagine defensive integrity may have been even more important to Quin than stretching the floor. We didn't have Udoh, Sefalosha, any real starting point guard, or even the Ingles we know now on defense. In order to remain competitive minute to minute, he probably found it more important to keep a stalwart at the 5 for 48 a night and thus played Favors there a decent chunk.

It's really as simple as that imo with the other 18 of Gobert and Favors together.

I'd imagine this year, with Udoh now in the fold, Favors sees a little at the 5 (maybe 4 minutes) and about 24 minutes at the 4, with JJ seeing the other 24, and Jerebko playing only due to injuries, blowouts, match-ups, or to provide a spark for the most part. Ballpark of course.

Last edited:
Jerebko played 78 games each of the last two seasons with Celtics
He averaged about 15 minutes per game
He is not coming here to play occasionally
He will play significant and important minutes

Based on what facts?

Looking at 15/16, our backup 5 still stunk and I'd imagine defensive integrity may have been even more important to Quin than stretching the floor. We didn't have Udoh, Sefalosha, any real starting point guard, or even the Ingles we know now on defense. In order to remain competitive minute to minute, he probably found it more important to keep a stalwart at the 5 for 48 a night and thus played Favors there a decent chunk.

It's really as simple as that imo with the other 18 of Gobert and Favors together.

I'd imagine this year, with Udoh now in the fold, Favors sees a little at the 5 (maybe 4 minutes) and about 24 minutes at the 4, with JJ seeing the other 24, and Jerebko playing only due to injuries, blowouts, match-ups, or to provide a spark for the most part. Ballpark of course.

I dont think Withey stinks, I just think Udoh is an improvement and that Withey didnt matchup well w/ a lot of backup centers.

If I had to guess he and Joe split the minutes at the 4 Favors doesnt get, with Joe Johnson playing some 3 next to Jonas in some lineups (because Jonas can give Joe the space he needs to create)

He just listed them....

Yeah, he listed some facts. What he failed to mention is that Boston's frontcourt absolutely blows and that his playing time is a reflection of that as much as it is Jerebko's skill.

Gobert and Favors are both better than anyone in Boston's frontcourt, including Horford. Quin will play our best players, not limit them because he feels he has to play Jerebko.

Yeah, he listed some facts. What he failed to mention is that Boston's frontcourt absolutely blows and that his playing time is a reflection of that as much as it is Jerebko's skill.

Gobert and Favors are both better than anyone in Boston's frontcourt, including Horford. Quin will play our best players, not limit them because he feels he has to play Jerebko.

Favors isnt better than Horford at all....

And I missed the part where our PF rotation was so dominant. Favors has to fight for his minutes just as much as Jonas does after the season he had.