What's new

Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside

I know most of this forum isn't very found of him. But it wasn't very long ago that him and Rudy were competing for DPOY. So now we have the DPOY and someone who has the potential DPOY caliber skill backing him up. It would not surprise me if this works out.. That we are by far the best defensive team in the league next season.

Maybe i'm overly optimistic but I don't mind it. Sure he eats into potential Dok minutes but at the end of the day it's insurance at little cost. If Dok is ****ing **** up then Whiteside is very disposable and not going to cost a lot to get rid of. If Dok isn't cutting it and needs more seasoning in the G League then you have someone to cover Rudy as the traditional big man defender who's going to be learning the system from the get go and not going to be a mid season pickup who struggles to learn Quin's system.

I know most of this forum isn't very found of him. But it wasn't very long ago that him and Rudy were competing for DPOY. So now we have the DPOY and someone who has the potential DPOY caliber skill backing him up. It would not surprise me if this works out.. That we are by far the best defensive team in the league next season.

no just no

Imagine trying to go to the rim as a Jazz player in practice. Udoka/Whiteside/Gobert. That's an insane amount of shotblocking talent on one team.
We are all kinda eye rolling the signing but for 12 minutes a night Whiteside is just dandy. He does some stat hunting that drives people nuts… he has some brain farts… but he’s fine as long as you only need him for a limited time. Udoka looks okayish too… haven’t finished the sl game… so if Whiteside is doing Whiteside stuff you sit him or cut him.

Lol Whitesides stinks on D. Blocking shots and defense aren’t the same thing.

“ask his coach to put him in at the end of the game”
The upside is Whiteside isn't going to be in at the end of the game. He's not a defensive anchor but the dude is a legit shot blocker. 10-14 minutes a night of shot blocking will be huge for us if he buys into the system and accepts his role.

I like this signing. Whiteside is going to clog the paint like Rodney Hood clogs the toilet. Plus Whiteside is a rebounding machine and adds solid depth.

A 2nd string of Butler, Clarkson, Ingles, Gay and Whiteside sounds weird but it'll end up making our nipples harder than the Jazz offensive playbook.

The upside is Whiteside isn't going to be in at the end of the game. He's not a defensive anchor but the dude is a legit shot blocker. 10-14 minutes a night of shot blocking will be huge for us if he buys into the system and accepts his role.
I’ll co-sign that version of him.

But people acting like he’s a defensive savant: no

I like this signing… I think the Jazz are now better this year vs last year. But, I just keep thinking the other shoe is going to drop and there will be a cost saving move that will send one of the guys out for future assets.