What's new

Jazz Sign Patty Mills

Better safe than sorry I guess....but we can only take in players via the MLE in salary dump and you don't have to be at 15 during the off season.

My thoughts on this....The Jazz are holding out hope they can receive a salary dump before the season. Given that there are many teams with their MLE's open, I doubt it will happen for us, but better safe than sorry. This is also true just in case we take in an extra player in any other potential deal.

The Jazz want to sign their exhibit 10 guys first before Patty....why??? If you're an exhibit 10 guy, you probably want to ink up a contract soon to know where you're going to camp and eventually the G-League. If you're Patty, you don't really care and there isn't anxiety to find a place right now. So instead of leaving roster spots open that could be taken by exhibit 10 guy, they keep Patty's spot open just in case the salary dump comes about. It's better to keep Patty in the waiting room and not miss out on an exhibit 10 guy you wanted to take a flier on. I expect we'll see a couple more exhibit 10's come through soon.

If I recall two years the Jazz had 17 guaranteed deals going into camp and waived Saben Lee, Stanley Johnson and Jared Butler at cutdown time.

Better safe than sorry I guess....but we can only take in players via the MLE in salary dump and you don't have to be at 15 during the off season.
Sorry, what? My understanding is that you can only do that with space under the cap or a sufficiently large trade exception.

This sounds very wrong and I can’t find anything about this. Can you cite your source?
Seems correct. The CBA wording has changed from 2017 version to 2023 for MLE's (see below):

Wording on Room MLE:
2023: "....use the Mid-Level Salary Exception for Room Teams to sign and/or acquire by assignment one (1) or more Player Contracts....."
2017: "the Team may at such time use the Mid-Level Salary Exception for Room Teams to sign one (1) or more Player Contracts"

The wording on Non-Taxpayer MLE:
2023: "A Team may use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception to sign and/or acquire by assignment one (1) or more Player Contracts during each Salary Cap Year......"
2017: "A Team may use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception to sign one (1) or more Player Contracts during each Salary Cap Year"

The wording on Taxpayer MLE is still the same:
2023: "A Team may use the Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception to sign one (1) or more Player Contracts during each Salary Cap Year"
2017: "A Team may use the Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception to sign one (1) or more Player Contracts during each Salary Cap Year"

Salary dump situation doesn’t look promising for us. Many teams with their MLE’s available, and we only have the room MLE.
Yeah. Honestly would’ve needed to do it before signing anyone other than Lauri. Unless they trade a guy like Collins/Clarkson and take back more salary, I think this is pretty much it for salary based moves this year.

The Suns waived two guys, the Wiz and Griz one each in the last week . In a couple of them it was to avoid paying the guarantee and the others were to "stretch" their salaries per the CBA.

Back