What's new

Jazz sign Thabo Sefolosha

So our goal is to keep teams under 80 points every game? I like it. Also Spence said he shot over 40% from 3 a few times in his career.

You forgot Harpring, he was clearly second best player on the team.
One of my favorite years. Everyone expected the team to be so terrible that McDonald's had a 2-for-1 offer on tickets. I was able to turn those into half-price tickets for one, and I went to a bunch of games that year sitting on the 5th to 10th row for cheap. And they kept winning! It was so much fun. What a nice stroll down memory lane.

According to statistics that I have read we will have a top 6 defender at 3 positions:

Rudy Gobert (top 2 center on defense)
Thabo (points allowed - #5)
Rubio (Dennis Lindsey said he was a top 2 point defender 2 years ago and in the top 7 last year)

Add in Mr. OCHO Donovan (8 steals last night) and we are in full on beast mode on defense.

Regarding offense...

My first question is can Rubio get with our many wings/guards to facilitate a solid offense?

Next, who is going to get and remain healthy between Favors, Hood, Burks, and the rest of the crew?

Who closes?

Next, who can average 20+ points per game next year? If it's no one, can we have 7 guys average +10? Or at least 5 guys averaging +13? Gobert, Favors, Hood, Rubio, Mitchell, Exum, and Ingles?

Only time will tell.

And don't forget, either Ingles or Favors could be our second best defender and Exum has elite defensive qualities. Other than Hood, pretty much every player getting major burn has major defensive attributes and potential.

So our goal is to keep teams under 80 points every game? I like it. Also Spence said he shot over 40% from 3 a few times in his career.

Yes, the goal is to lose 78-75 instead of 90-86.
Much easier for fans to check their cell phones, check out other scores, etc. if they know Jazz are just going to chuck up a shot with 1 second remaining on the clock.

So does signing Sefolosha signal Jazz are serious about getting a playoff spot and does this guarantee it?

Was that the year Doc Rivers won coach of the year? And then got fired thevery next season like 12 games into the season after losing to the Jazz?

Nope, it was the year Hubie Brown won it in MEM, the media gave him the sentimental vote given Hubie's age and that MEM had yet to ever be good and they finally made the playoffs and the Jazz just missed the playoffs (as was already stated).

So does signing Sefolosha signal Jazz are serious about getting a playoff spot and does this guarantee it?

Not really and no. It does signal that they are going to give the team every chance to make the playoffs, without jeopardizing the future.

Can't really read that much into this, other than they aren't just going to give up and tank. Our FA options have been pretty limited this year IMO. If they are serious about something, it is about building that defensive identity. Our defense is going to be a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8

They are serious, just have to be careful on contracts this year. The ability to retain Exum and Hood are more important than making the 7th or 8th seed next year.
When a rival smells luxury tax blood they are much more likely to throw a high offer out quickly.

They have been in win mode all off season and that won't change. They fully expect to make the playoffs, as do I. I don't think the Sefolosha pickup moves the needle much, it just fills out the roster with solid backups for depth.

I think there will be a lot of starter rotations this season. Maybe more of a trial and error? But I like the pick up. Welcome!

Not really and no. It does signal that they are going to give the team every chance to make the playoffs, without jeopardizing the future.

Can't really read that much into this, other than they aren't just going to give up and tank. Our FA options have been pretty limited this year IMO. If they are serious about something, it is about building that defensive identity. Our defense is going to be a thing of beauty.
Our defense is going to make games UGLY. And that will be a thing of beauty.