What's new

Jazz starters according to Jazz produced Media Notes:

Can you image Jefferson/Okur vs Dirk/Odom? We are screwed.

Thankfully Dirk and Odom dont play for portland. Relax... As alot of people have said, this is the starting lineup for tonights game only. Millsap is hurting.

Who starts at this point is pretty meaningless. One expects that the 'cream will rise to the top' eventually and those who deserve to start will start and those who deserve to play will play.

ALTHOUGH this was not always the case with Sloan--how else to explain that Bell started and played heavy minutes the entire (or almost entire) time Jerry coached last season? Let's hope that Ty is a bit more open minded than Jerry was on such issues.

Who starts is less crucial than who plays and who finishes, IMO.

Who starts at this point is pretty meaningless. One expects that the 'cream will rise to the top' eventually and those who deserve to start will start and those who deserve to play will play.

ALTHOUGH this was not always the case with Sloan--how else to explain that Bell started and played heavy minutes the entire (or almost entire) time Jerry coached last season? Let's hope that Ty is a bit more open minded than Jerry was on such issues.

Who starts is less crucial than who plays and who finishes, IMO.

Well, with three 20-pt scorers in the starting line-up already (Millsap, Jefferson and Deron), I think the feeling was that Bell could start and play limited minutes, providing some toughness, ball-handling and an occasional outside shot when needed. Besides, who else was there? Sloan needed someone off the bench to take shots, hence CJ as the 6th man. Hayward was just turrible the first half of the season; he didn't know the plays and couldn't shoot. Price? Umm, yeah. Sloan must have been doing something right; the Jazz started off at 27-13. Then a little adversity hit, Deron couldn't handle it and threw his hissy fits and the team spiraled out of control.

Raja certainly looks a lot healthier and his shot has returned - at least for the scrimmage. If Corbin starts Harris, Jefferson, Millsap and Hayward (at SF), then I could see Raja getting 6-8 mins to open the 1st and 3rd quarters. That's 4 scorers and a seasoned vet who won't pout when he doesn't get a lot of touches. Then CJ and Memo are the shooters with the 2nd unit, with Burks driving the lane and dishing to Favors inside, all directed by another vet in Watson. And I haven't even included Howard. He could be a real wild card, especially if it looks like he can return to starting form.

Maybe they just disagree with you on the defensive potential of the line-up.
Then they are fools, whether it works out or not. Memo has always been an awful team defender and so has Jefferson. One of them will have to guard starters on the perimeter and neither have ever been able to do anything besides give up points in transition.

It is really the worst defensive frontcourt the Jazz could put out there. At least based on history (and the sample size is very large).

I'm chalking it up to nothing but allegiance to seniority and giving it a shot. YB is right, it's not a big deal right now, but if this is happening in March, then it's time for the pitchforks to come out.

Unless this is all a cunning front to tank this year.

Then they are fools, whether it works out or not. Memo has always been an awful team defender and so has Jefferson.

"Always" being Jefferson's first year here? Okur is a solid post defender, and Jefferson has the talent and timing for being a weak-side blocker. If he's still out of shape, he'll be awful. If he's actualy trimmed down and has some lateral movement, he'll be adequate to guard the non-post-player.

as you wiiiiiiiiish

“@tribjazz: #UtahJazz starting lineup: D. Harris, Raja Bell, Miles, Jefferson, Okur.”

Anyone else following the little back and forth between tribjazz and Locke? Looks like Lock jumped the gun and was wrong as M3at pointed out.

Here are the tweets from smith for everyone

"Jazz haven't opened shootaround but team employee is tweeting supposed starting lineup. #mediafriendly"

"Jazz's Corbin hasn't announced starting lineup; shootaround hasn't opened. Team employee took lineup from game notes, which often change."

"If a beat reporter regularly announced official starting lineups from game notes, they wouldn't have a job."

I'm ok with Raja starting now, but if he starts to struggle don't hesitate pulling him during the season.
He should be a short leash.

I suspect this has a lot to do with playing the guys that know the system. Obviously there is no question over starting Harris and Jefferson, the other 3 guys have a very good grasp of the Flex offense, hence Okur over Favors, CJ & Bell over Hayward.

I really doubt anyone gets a DNP anyways. Everyone that dresses will get on the court.

Well, with three 20-pt scorers in the starting line-up already (Millsap, Jefferson and Deron), I think the feeling was that Bell could start and play limited minutes, providing some toughness, ball-handling and an occasional outside shot when needed. Besides, who else was there? Sloan needed someone off the bench to take shots, hence CJ as the 6th man. Hayward was just turrible the first half of the season; he didn't know the plays and couldn't shoot. Price? Umm, yeah. Sloan must have been doing something right; the Jazz started off at 27-13. Then a little adversity hit, Deron couldn't handle it and threw his hissy fits and the team spiraled out of control.

Raja certainly looks a lot healthier and his shot has returned - at least for the scrimmage. If Corbin starts Harris, Jefferson, Millsap and Hayward (at SF), then I could see Raja getting 6-8 mins to open the 1st and 3rd quarters. That's 4 scorers and a seasoned vet who won't pout when he doesn't get a lot of touches. Then CJ and Memo are the shooters with the 2nd unit, with Burks driving the lane and dishing to Favors inside, all directed by another vet in Watson. And I haven't even included Howard. He could be a real wild card, especially if it looks like he can return to starting form.

Ok, fair enough.

"Turrible,' LOL. Has Barkely coined a new word?

So is Burks going to be our EMOTY, or will that be Evans?
Burks as TMOTY?

By the way if you are number twelve, you don't get 10 minutes a night.
You are lucky to get 3.

I suspect this has a lot to do with playing the guys that know the system. Obviously there is no question over starting Harris and Jefferson, the other 3 guys have a very good grasp of the Flex offense, hence Okur over Favors, CJ & Bell over Hayward.

I really doubt anyone gets a DNP anyways. Everyone that dresses will get on the court.

Would not be so sure about this with only two preseason games. The guys who are training camp filler may or may not see any time.

I love the opinions on this board, even when it's a crappy pre-season game. I really could give a rats *** who starts these games, especially when Corbin has said that things will change. For what's it's worth, I'm putting together a team that I think gives us the best chance to win the most games. Not a starting line-up per se, but, more of a 'who should get the most minutes' type scenario. I'm not going to take into consideration any possible or hopeful trades, I'm just going to suggest that the following players get the most time in order for us to win. I wil try to do it in some kind of order. But, no matter what happens these guys may get the most time, whether or not I like it:

Harris, Jefferson, Milsap, Hayward, Howard, Favors, Watson, Okur, Miles, Burks, Bell, Kanter, Evans, does it really matter after that?

My personal line-ups/rotation would be:

PG: Harris, Watson
SG: Hayward, Burks
SF: Howard, Miles
PF: Jefferson, Milsap
C: Okur, Favors (PF when playing with Jefferson)

Not sure there is enough time to rotate 13 players every game/all season. Rotations are usually 9-10 guys a game, and with a healthy Okur it makes sense to play him with Jefferson. I think that Favors will play PF with Jefferson in the game at a quazi-center. Howard should get the bulk of the minutes, throughout the season, at the SF.

With all this said, given 66 games, rotations may go all the way to 12, see some Bell and Evans, not much of Kanter.

I was one. I suppose it's completely proper to judge the effectiveness after a single preseason game. They are always dispositive.