What's new

Jazz trade Devin Harris to Atlanta for Marvin Williams (merged)

that's 1.46 PPS, 4th in the league behind chandler, harden and dwight, still ahead of lebron.

my point is simply that for a guy like marvin to increase his scoring, he's going to have to increase his touches. you just can't consistently score much more than 10 points when you shoot 8 times per game. that's been his consistent FGA average for three years, and if we want more points out of him, he's going to need the basketball more than 8 times.

you make a solid point. And, like I've already said, my reasoning wasn't math based. It was about usage. I'll quote myself, "The point is that his usage suggests problems that can and should be fixed."

I'll double down and say he could get 13ppg on 9.5 shots a game... andI'llTakeYourCommentsOffTheAirThankYou

^ in other words, you've appropriately hammered me for reaching for a number when I was trying to make a point about usage. Now that I've clarified myself, would you like to say something about his usage? I'm genuinely curious.

no, that's fair. i agree with your overall point that marvin could learn to be more effective, but given the type of player he is and the type of shots he takes, he realistically is going to need to increase his shot count to increase his ppg. and, going farther back in this thread, i don't know how he does either in the starting five because he'll be playing with 4 guys who like having the basketball.

I heard Locke and Checketts talking today and they mentioned the Marvin Williams deal won't be official until July 11th. Was that discussed earlier in the thread and I missed it?

I heard Locke and Checketts talking today and they mentioned the Marvin Williams deal won't be official until July 11th. Was that discussed earlier in the thread and I missed it?

nothing can be made official between july 1 and july 10. since it didn't get approved before the moratorium began, it will be "pending approval" until the 11th.

interesting looking back at the comments the night he was drafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hummeJ-pdko&feature=relmfu

dick vitale got it right...

David Locke: Talk to an NBA coach last night about Marvin Williams "He is a legitimate starting 3, better shooter than people think, strong rebounder" Twitter

this was just twitted... I hope Williams works out. I really do.

....I think being stuck in Atlanta with all those hoppers stifled his game big time! This kid is a solid player, fundamentally sound, intelligent, raised proper....probably doesn't have a single tat on his whole body!

I think they go big with Hayward at SG. I think that's where you start and then adjust if needed. It also probably means less time for Milsap at SF.

Thats going to be an awesome line up. WIlliams, Hayward, Williams, Millsap, Jefferson. Size, shooting, Defense. Man i'm excited about the new additions. Williams is a low risk high reward player. He's underacheived for the 1st 7 or 8 years of his career, giving him a new beginning , with no #2 pick attached to it, going to do wonders for him. Utah traded for him because they wanted him. Which is going to build his confidence and if it doesn't pan out, he's expiring next year. If it does work out, he is 26 and will be part of the core for years to come.

Thats going to be an awesome line up. WIlliams, Hayward, Williams, Millsap, Jefferson. Size, shooting, Defense. Man i'm excited about the new additions. Williams is a low risk high reward player. He's underacheived for the 1st 7 or 8 years of his career, giving him a new beginning , with no #2 pick attached to it, going to do wonders for him. Utah traded for him because they wanted him. Which is going to build his confidence and if it doesn't pan out, he's expiring next year. If it does work out, he is 26 and will be part of the core for years to come.

If Favors isn't starting next season I'm going to scream, or something.

If Favors isn't starting next season I'm going to scream, or something.

Id really like to see Millsap moved to open up some minutes for Favors. Maybe something with the 76ers for a true SF/SG either Turner, Young, or AI

Id really like to see Millsap moved to open up some minutes for Favors. Maybe something with the 76ers for a true SF/SG either Turner, Young, or AI

Oh man I would love to get this guy. If we somehow got Turner the Jazz would be looking so solid. Evan is going to have a breakout season this year. I would trade Al or Sap and a future first (not GS) for him.

Oh man I would love to get this guy. If we somehow got Turner the Jazz would be looking so solid. Evan is going to have a breakout season this year. I would trade Al or Sap and a future first (not GS) for him.

The 76ers are going to amnesty Brand, but I doubt they'd be interested in someone like Jefferson. It looks like they want to run and Jefferson won't allow them to do that. Maybe Millsap, but I feel like Hayward and Evans similar and having both on our team would be redundant.

The 76ers are going to amnesty Brand, but I doubt they'd be interested in someone like Jefferson. It looks like they want to run and Jefferson won't allow them to do that. Maybe Millsap, but I feel like Hayward and Evans similar and having both on our team would be redundant.

Evans can play the point. He needs to get his assist numbers up but a 6'7'' point guard? That creates some serious matchups. He's young and has some things to work on but this kid has some real potential. Not to mention he averages close to 6 boards a game.

76ers are perfect for Al. Hawes can shoot, everybody defends, the one thing they don't have is an iso scorer to get the ball to when the O sputters.

I really think that Turner for Millsap would fill needs for both teams. Evans can play the 2/3 and Millsap would be able to run with Philly and be the starting PF that he no longer can be in Utah. I think its a win win for both teams.