What's new

Jazz Trainer Gary Briggs said

I met former Jazz trainer Gary Briggs at the party I went to and we had a long talk about the Jazz -- he said everyone had problems with Deron, that basically AK was a wuss when it came to injuries and that Dante is the nicest kid you'll ever want to meet and works as hard as anybody in rehab.

Cool story. Do you put your keys in the bowl at these sort of parties?

I met former Jazz trainer Gary Briggs at the party I went to and we had a long talk about the Jazz -- he said everyone had problems with Deron, that basically AK was a wuss when it came to injuries and that Dante is the nicest kid you'll ever want to meet and works as hard as anybody in rehab.

Earth shattering revelations that nobody ever would have thought

I first read this as “Jazz trainer Gary Briggs is dead.”

Where did you see him anyway? He’s not a Utahn.

Wow, I feel bad for Gary Briggs. I hope you didn't claim affiliation with Jazzfanz, or else the rest of us are ****ed if we ever encounter Jazz people.
Why is that? Deron is long gone and everyone had head this before, or knew this, same for AK, but there was more to the story that I'm not telling about AK, and about Dante, you might understand why the Jazz continue to support him. One thing he did say about Dante was that sometimes there are guys who are so athletic that they do things their body can't withstand. He said this might be the problem with Dante because he is so fast, that perhaps he needs to slow down. Probably could've said that about Burks too, he could jump so high and do such acrobatic things, or Derek Rose.

Also, he absolutely loved Jerry, said off the court he was one of the nice people you would ever meet. But then we've heard that before. Just that you hear it once and you think, ok, but then you hear more times and it rings true.

Wow, I feel bad for Gary Briggs. I hope you didn't claim affiliation with Jazzfanz, or else the rest of us are ****ed if we ever encounter Jazz people.

When I came out for the playoff game, I remember being in the stadium pre-game, walking to get a beer or something, and as I passed by some 20 somethings, I could’ve sworn I heard one of them say something about Jazzfanz. I stopped and asked the kid if he had. His look made me think he believed I was on the spectrum.

Why is that? Deron is long gone and everyone had head this before, or knew this, same for AK, but there was more to the story that I'm not telling about AK, and about Dante, you might understand why the Jazz continue to support him. One thing he did say about Dante was that sometimes there are guys who are so athletic that they do things their body can't withstand. He said this might be the problem with Dante because he is so fast, that perhaps he needs to slow down. Probably could've said that about Burks too, he could jump so high and do such acrobatic things, or Derek Rose.
Hopefully he converted you to the “AK was just a wuss” side of things.

When I came out for the playoff game, I remember being in the stadium pre-game, walking to get a beer or something, and as I passed by some 20 somethings, I could’ve sworn I heard one of them say something about Jazzfanz. I stopped and asked the kid if he had. His look made me think he believed I was on the spectrum.
Instead of asking if he said JazzFanz, you should have just started talking about act and dutch and Sloanfeld.

But I have wondered what exactly our place is in the Jazz universe. Like, how much influence does our group think on here have in other circles of lurkers?

Instead of asking if he said JazzFanz, you should have just started talking about act and dutch and Sloanfeld.

But I have wondered what exactly our place is in the Jazz universe. Like, how much influence does our group think on here have in other circles of lurkers?

Probably little to none.

I mean, I was at a game with about 20,000 people. There are probably many more serious Jazz fans than just those out there. Maybe like a legit 100,000 fans? I don’t know.

And there are like maybe 50 of us who post very regularly here.

Hopefully he converted you to the “AK was just a wuss” side of things.
Yes, there is more to the story, some of the things we already had suspected, one really crazy thing. But basically he felt that AK lost some of his desire to play which is why his career faded at the end. Also, he said in the earlier years, AK would work so hard during games that he would be exhausted by the end of the third quarter and Jerry had to take him out to rest. You might recall some games Jerry would take him out and we wondered why.

Probably little to none.

I mean, I was at a game with about 20,000 people. There are probably many more serious Jazz fans than just those out there. Maybe like a legit 100,000 fans? I don’t know.

And there are like maybe 50 of us who post very regularly here.
Very true, but if you’re looking for Jazz discussion online, we used to have a quasi monopoly. Until the advent of Twitter and Reddit, you really had here, RealGM (sucks), and the now defunct JazzHoops. It was slim pickings. And if you were looking for anything Jazz related online (at least back a few years ago), this was one of few places.

I'm really curious as to what these things may be about AK and Dante that you haven't shared. Or perhaps aren't able to share?

Did he have any comments on Boozer?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
Didn't ask about Boozer, loves Memo, they still keep in touch. Didn't seem to want to talk about Deron. He had a story MJ being so gracious in signing memorabilia for his family, and some other positive things about MJ the person.

Last edited: