What's new

Jazz vs Rockets game thread , Thursday, 8:30pm MT.

What a game to watch in the arena, me and my dad couldn’t believe it when they said that Gobert had been ejected. Then Ingles starts setting the tempo for what would be an awesome win.

Favors was great on the offensive boards.
Udoh had a good presence on defense.
Rubio controlled the game very well, baring a few easy shots that he missed.
Exum was aggressive and explosive (more please).
Royce O’Neal looked like a bona fide NBA player.
Korver pulls a player out to the perimeter all the time on offense.

Amazing how much harder the game looks like in person.

Exum was +24 tonight. Harden was -27

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Rocket offense is all about beating your man one-on-one.

Unfortunately, for most of the rest of the league, it's about getting through screens and being able to switch quickly and effectively - this is Exum's Achilles' heel on defense

Reactions: MVP
A not-that-small minority saw this when they dropped Luc and Ariza for Melo, but all the talking heads could see us ‘OMG Melo,’ and a lot of casual fans followed. They are exposing the real Rockets. Plus, it goes to show how much success is dependent on guys who may not get the largest stage.
Yup, Melo really hurt them along with losing those other two. Melo now going to Fakers? Let's hope so and he can work his magic there.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

The Rocket offense is all about beating your man one-on-one.

Unfortunately, for most of the rest of the league, it's about getting through screens and being able to switch quickly and effectively - this is Exum's Achilles' heel on defense
That's a good point. Exum is elite in iso defense but gets eaten alive on screens sometimes.

That's a good point. Exum is elite in iso defense but gets eaten alive on screens sometimes.

A lot of Jazz players get eaten alive on screens. If they aren't switching every screen, they need to anticipate and react better to get over the screens aggressively.

Would not call it elite - elite is Kawhi, T.Allen ( prime), B.Bowen( prime), Thabo ( prime), Jrue Holiday. Exum is good to very good iso defender.

Would not call it elite - elite is Kawhi, T.Allen ( prime), B.Bowen( prime), Thabo ( prime), Jrue Holiday. Exum is good to very good iso defender.
I would, he is consistently the best in the NBA at staying in front of his guy in iso. His rotations and getting through screens is where he struggles.

Two nice wins but against two highly diminished teams. Could be that neither will make the playoffs, which is pretty amazing. I will take the wins as we totally handled them. Lets hope it is a sign that we are on track now.

I would, he is consistently the best in the NBA at staying in front of his guy in iso.
Do you have any stats to prove it? Because it is a bold statement to say that he is better or at the same level as Kawhi for example.

Agree,zman. Not too surprised at the Spurs missing the playoffs if they do. I think I had them out or a low seed in my projections. Houston is surprising, though. They just have no depth.

It's good to see the Jazz take care of business at home. Need to continue through the next stretch of games.

Do you have any stats to prove it? Because it is a bold statement to say that he is better or at the same level as Kawhi for example.
Yes, the stats were posted here before. I'll have to try and dig them up when I have time and am at a computer.

I mean, Kawhi isnt the best defender because of his ability to stay in front. He's the best because he has ungodly length, super quick hands, and the ability to guard 1-4.

I mean, Kawhi isnt the best defender because of his ability to stay in front. He's the best because he has ungodly length, super quick hands, and the ability to guard 1-4.
ok, lets talk T.Allen then. Do you see Exum being at the same elite level as T.Allen when it comes to iso defense? I looked up opponent FG%per 100 plays - maybe not the best stat but still - Exum is decent at 46.3% , Rubio just a tiny bit worse at 46.7%, but for example D. Green 42.9%, Rozier 41.9%, Siakam 43.4%, Kawhi 43.6%, heck even our own Korver in 4 games for the Jazz is at 43.6%.

ok, lets talk T.Allen then. Do you see Exum being at the same elite level as T.Allen when it comes to iso defense? I looked up opponent FG% - maybe not the best stat but still - Exum is decent at 46.3% , Rubio just a tiny bit worse at 46.7%, but for example D. Green 42.9%, Rozier 41.9%, Siakam 43.4%, Kawhi 43.6%, heck even our own Korver in 4 games for the Jazz is at 43.6%.
Yeah, in some aspects. He's better at moving his feet and staying in front than Allen was. Allen relied on his strength and physicality. It's why he was so good at guarding Kobe, a guy who loved to post-up guards.

And those are small sample size numbers, so yeah, I don't care. It's more about eye test.