What's new

Jazz Will Beat The Warriors On Wednesday 7 PM MT 03/30/16

Very commendable, but ultimately dumb. You're entirely eliminating the personal accountability of the students and placing it all on yourself.

I'm not placing it on myself, it IS on myself. I'm not hired to simply deliver content, and then whatever happens happens. I am hired to ensure every one of these kids succeeds. I am hired to inspire those who don't give a damn, to motivate those who are apathetic, to go the extra mile for those who need extra help. If the job was simply to be a deliverer of content and a neutral arbiter, you could just get a random person off the street to do that. Believe me, reading off power point presentations prepared by others, assigning worksheets and playing videos IS as easy as it sounds. It's not 1985, though, and teaching is supposed to be much more than that. And if I can't help a kid succeed, maybe I need to step back and let someone who can do it.

By standards one would use at school, the Jazz have failed this season. No ifs, no buts, no excuses. They have failed. They have underperformed, and you can talk about individual players and accountability, but at the end of the day, there's only one person whose job is to ensure the team succeeds. And if he can't do it, we should find someone who can. There are three basic scenarios when it comes to coaches. Bad coaches lead teams to perform below expectations, average coaches lead teams to perform at or around expectations, and good coaches lead teams to perform above expectations. Am I that unfair for wanting the only team I've ever been a fan of to have the third kind?

There is the chance that Jim just sucked as a teacher too of course.

JK Jim. I understand your position and fully agree with Stoked and bern here. I have a ton of dip****s who do nothing to academically succeed despite not just my, but all their teacher's best efforts. Sadly, the cycle of ****ty parents and kids will just continue for many of these.

Funny you'd bring this up. I'm not a teacher anymore. At least for now, until I figure things out. And the biggest reason I couldn't do it anymore is that I felt personally responsible for every single student and it killed me when any of them didn't succeed and I held it against myself. And I had to quit because I could not reconcile the two possible explanations for this. Either I'm not doing everything I could to help them succeed in which case I should not be teaching them, or there is absolutely nothing I can do for some of them and they are going to fail regardless, in which case this is all pointless and soul crushing and there's no reason for me to do it. Either way, it's not the kids. It's me.
This would be like if throughout the process of raising my daughter she makes a few mistakes and bad decisions so I just say **** it and give up and stop trying to help her make good choices and decisions.

I'm not placing it on myself, it IS on myself. I'm not hired to simply deliver content, and then whatever happens happens. I am hired to ensure every one of these kids succeeds. I am hired to inspire those who don't give a damn, to motivate those who are apathetic, to go the extra mile for those who need extra help. If the job was simply to be a deliverer of content and a neutral arbiter, you could just get a random person off the street to do that. Believe me, reading off power point presentations prepared by others, assigning worksheets and playing videos IS as easy as it sounds. It's not 1985, though, and teaching is supposed to be much more than that. And if I can't help a kid succeed, maybe I need to step back and let someone who can do it.

By standards one would use at school, the Jazz have failed this season. No ifs, no buts, no excuses. They have failed. They have underperformed, and you can talk about individual players and accountability, but at the end of the day, there's only one person whose job is to ensure the team succeeds. And if he can't do it, we should find someone who can. There are three basic scenarios when it comes to coaches. Bad coaches lead teams to perform below expectations, average coaches lead teams to perform at or around expectations, and good coaches lead teams to perform above expectations. Am I that unfair for wanting the only team I've ever been a fan of to have the third kind?

Again, idealistic. Some people just aren't going to succeed. You can't make them, they have to do it themselves.

Ah but if you listened to any interview about expectations from players/coaches or Jazz staff, this year was still about development and not necessarily playoffs. Furthermore, a successful season in this game with an up and coming team is ultimately to make the playoffs which we are clearly on track to do. So the simple fact that we have developed tremendously guys like Hood and Lyles and are competing for a 5-8 seed, I'd say that's pretty successful given the current makeup of the team.

This would be like if throughout the process of raising my daughter she makes a few mistakes and bad decisions so I just say **** it and give up and stop trying to help her make good choices and decisions.

Wait you havent done this already? Man dad of the year, sticking with his unborn daughter even though she has made some bad womb choices. I would have been in another country by now.

Big question is when she misses a free throw are you still going to pretend to be her Dad? Or you going to give that to a Dad that can better mentally prepare her to make free throws at 100%clip?

I was bummed last night about the Jazz meltdown last night but today I feel more optimistic about this young team. Last night's game showed that the Jazz can play with the best team in the league and one of the best teams ever.

People forget that the Jazz are playing without Exum and Burks, two starters and Favors was hurt last night. I know GS were missing Iggy and Ezeke but I take heart in the fact that except for a miserable night at the free throw line. The went toe to toe with the defending champs.

Winning last night would have been huge but lessons need to be learned as the cake is being baked, last night was a very hard lesson to learn but it also can ignite a resolve to not let it happen again. This team can go either way now,they can melt and just fold or they can put this tough loss behind them and realize that there is more work to be done. It will be interesting to see how each guy and the team handles it.

Funny you'd bring this up. I'm not a teacher anymore. At least for now, until I figure things out. And the biggest reason I couldn't do it anymore is that I felt personally responsible for every single student and it killed me when any of them didn't succeed and I held it against myself. And I had to quit because I could not reconcile the two possible explanations for this. Either I'm not doing everything I could to help them succeed in which case I should not be teaching them, or there is absolutely nothing I can do for some of them and they are going to fail regardless, in which case this is all pointless and soul crushing and there's no reason for me to do it. Either way, it's not the kids. It's me.
Sounds like you were just looking for an excuse to give up. Congratulations, you found one.

The reality is that no teacher or coach can take full credit or blame for their student or player's success or failure. You held yourself to an unreasonable standard (you are going to fail at nearly everything you ever do by that measure) and you are doing the same to Snyder.

Yes, because you are creating three categories that don't exist in the real world.

Have the Jazz underperformed? The over/under them coming in this season was 42.5 wins. If they finish 6-1 they've hit that. And with all the injuries they've had this season it's remarkable they have a shot at finishing about .500 at all.

The Jazz are the ***** in the armor. It won't be this year, but we're coming for you dubs. The blood has been tasted and we are circling.

We match up ok against the Warriors.

But pleasr do not forget. They were tired, that game was our super bowl, and they were playing without the Finals MVP.

The best we can hope for in a 7 games series is maybe steal a game to prolong the series to 5 games.

We match up ok against the Warriors.

But pleasr do not forget. They were tired, that game was our super bowl, and they were playing without the Finals MVP.

The best we can hope for in a 7 games series is maybe steal a game to prolong the series to 5 games.
Th e point about back to back is valid but calling Igoudalla the finals MVP makes him sound a lot more central to their success than he actually is. Do you think his value to them is equal to Burks value to the Jazz? That leaves Exum out of the equation because he's not really part of the mix for us this season... or is he?

Th e point about back to back is valid but calling Igoudalla the finals MVP makes him sound a lot more central to their success than he actually is. Do you think his value to them is equal to Burks value to the Jazz? That leaves Exum out of the equation because he's not really part of the mix for us this season... or is he?

Ummmmm... Iggy has been described by Steph and Kerr as their most important player.

As far as Exum, Mack has been far FAR better than Exum ever was. Remember, looking good in some summer league against players who are D league players is quite different than succeeding in the NBA. Mack has thus far showed far more than Exum. I think people are forgetting, Exum was ranked as one of the worst offensive players IN THE LEAGUE last year.

I think we need to take off the homer glasses for a bit. Many of you sound like the fans who thought that Jefferson and Millsap could give the Spurs a run a few years ago. How'd that work out?

Exum is still an unknown and we still lost while we played a great game and GS played terribly on the back end of a b2b. How many b2b games will GS play in the playoffs?

Again, we match up ok against the Warriors. But everyone outside of Utah sees the obvious, in a 7 game series the best case scenario for us is extending it 5 games. Personally, I see it a sweep just like the Spurs and Lakers did to us a few years ago. We might have one close game in the series.

Ummmmm... Iggy has been described by Steph and Kerr as their most important player.

As far as Exum, Mack has been far FAR better than Exum ever was. Remember, looking good in some summer league against players who are D league players is quite different than succeeding in the NBA. Mack has thus far showed far more than Exum. I think people are forgetting, Exum was ranked as one of the worst offensive players IN THE LEAGUE last year.

I think we need to take off the homer glasses for a bit. Many of you sound like the fans who thought that Jefferson and Millsap could give the Spurs a run a few years ago. How'd that work out?

Exum is still an unknown and we still lost while we played a great game and GS played terribly on the back end of a b2b. How many b2b games will GS play in the playoffs?

Again, we match up ok against the Warriors. But everyone outside of Utah sees the obvious, in a 7 game series the best case scenario for us is extending it 5 games. Personally, I see it a sweep just like the Spurs and Lakers did to us a few years ago. We might have one close game in the series.
I don't know anyone in Utah who thinks we could beat the Warriors in a seven game series. The people I've talked to would consider the season a huge success if we win one playoff game. If Kerr and Steph are calling Iggy their most important player it's just to stroke his ego. Steph is far and away the most important player on that team.