What's new

Jazzfanz Bookclub

I recently finished a novel called "Death by Interruptions" by Jose Saramago that I cannot stop thinking about. The book is set in some unnamed country where the entity that controls death for this country takes a break and people stop dying. Sounds ideal at first, but there are a lot of complications and unintended consequences. His writing style is quite different, odd punctuation and run-on sentences and such. The ending was weird, but it still worked. I loved this little book and its thought-provoking concepts.

I read that a couple years ago, VERY interesting and a novel concept (no pun intended)

I just finished EXIT WEST by Mohsin Hamid, the author of The Reluctant Fundamentalist, which I'd also read a couple years ago. It was good, though I think I enjoyed The Reluctant Fundamentalist a bit more, except for the ending. Some very interesting questions raised in Exit West.

Now I just started LINCOLN IN THE BARDO by George Saunders about how President Lincoln handles the death of his son Willie in 1862. I'd never heard the term "bardo" before - - apparently it's something in Tibetan culture that represents sort of a limbo where souls wander before they are reincarnated into another body. It's written in a VERY UNUSUAL fashion... it took me a while to figure out that half the narration is provided by other "ghosts" that are in the bardo with Willie.

Interesting that all these books have a rather supernatural element to them. Well, maybe not The Reluctant Fundamentalist - but Exit West definitely does.

After seeing it recommended many times I finally got my hands on the "Autobiography of a Yogi"

51D02n+0COL._AC_US218_.jpg

Outstanding book, even if one is not spiritual or take his accounts literally (I do) it is an outstanding book. I'm only a 1/4th of the way thru and adding to my favorite books of all time list.

Here's a link

Just finished "Station Eleven" by Emily St John Mandel. Great post-apocalyptic novel, if you like that sort of thing. Very interesting plot. This one will stick with me for awhile.

Some of the most interesting books I have read lately:

"Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World" by Ret Gen William H McRaven
If you like military stories, this will be right up your alley. He was a Navy seal and uses the stories of his experiences to teach lessons of being a better person. Short, entertaining read. I still do not make my bed and therefore have not yet changed the world.

"The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For" by David McCullough
A compilation of some of his essays and speeches that has some pretty interesting tidbits. There is a speech or two that seems really strange considering the audience, but mostly they are very entertaining and historically informative.

"Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood" by Trevor Noah
If you aren't familiar with him, he's the successor to Jon Stewart on The Daily Show. He grew up in South Africa at a time when it was illegal for a white person and a black person to have "relations," much less a child. It is fascinating! It helps that he is a comedian which brings some fun into such a serious topic.

"The Green Mile" by Stephen King
I have managed to avoid reading any Stephen King (blasphemy, I know), mostly because I consider him a horror writer and that isn't my scene. I gave this one a try because I loved the movie. I enjoyed the book and will probably try another one sometime.

"Small Great Things" by Jodi Picoult
A novel about a black nurse who runs up against a white supremacist family who do not want her to touch their newborn child, and the fallout when the baby dies.

"The Final Spark" by Richard Paul Evans
The final volume of the "Michael Vey" series about a group of electric children. Fun middle school sci fi series. Sorry it's over.

"Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari
I think this book has been discussed in a few other threads, but it was very informative and a bit mind-blowing. Encompasses not only the history of mankind as far as physically evolving, but also religion, laws, money, government.

"Origin" by Dan Brown
While this series isn't everyone's cup of tea, I love it because of all the things I learn from it. This book is set mostly in Spain and other nearby countries, and I burned up my phone looking at photos of all the locations mentioned. The underlying mystery is rather interesting as well.

"A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles
A novel of a nobleman who survives the Russian revolution but is confined to house arrest, which in this case is a hotel. It is amazing how much life was lived in one location. I also learned a lot about Russia as well.

"Lilac Girls" by Martha Hall Kelly
A novel of three women who lived through World War II. One was an American who worked for the French embassy, one was a girl sent to a concentration camp, and one was a doctor who performed horrible experiments on camp victims. Two of the three women are real people, while the third was a compilation. It's fascinating and horrifying and beautiful.

"Wonder" by R.J. Palacio
I haven't yet seen the movie, but the book was fantastic. It's about a 10-year-old boy who has terrible facial abnormalities and his struggle to fit in.

"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding
This has been on my TRL for decades now, and I finally got around to it. It was a bit horrifying, actually, what happens to a group of boys who are stranded on an island. I wish our base natures were not so brutal.

"The Book of Separation: A Memoir" by Tova Mirvis
A woman born and raised Orthodox Jew struggles with doubt and chooses to leave the religion. The book is about that experience and the fallout. Being an Orthodox Jew is not for the faint-hearted, for sure.

Of those I have read lord of the flies and the green mile. Both fantastic. (When I read the green mile it was released like a month or two at a time in small 50ish page little paper backs. Strange but fun way to read a novel)

I saw the movie Wonder and liked it.

I enjoyed Origin, I do the same thing as i'm reading it I'll stop and google the locations around Spain he's talking about, makes you want to visit them. I liked Inferno, but I think this is a better book. It had some twists that i didn't see coming. I was wondering if I was going to be let down in the end because the driving force is these two big questions where are we from and where are we going but the ending was satisfying for me.

51ek_IMkriu_L._SX332_BO1_204_203_200.jpg

I liked Borne a lot even if it's really out there(flying bears and stuff like that) Vandermeer does a really fine job of building these worlds. I really liked his book Annihilation, and I can't wait to see the movie.

I have been thinking of reading Annihilation but not sure I want to based on the synopsis and reviews.

For Origin does it matter if I haven’t read all the other dan brown books? I read divinci code and angels and demons but that’s it

For Origin does it matter if I haven’t read all the other dan brown books? I read divinci code and angels and demons but that’s it

The only character that goes from book to book is Robert Langdon, so you are fine to read it without having read all the others.

After seeing it recommended many times I finally got my hands on the "Autobiography of a Yogi"

51D02n+0COL._AC_US218_.jpg

Outstanding book, even if one is not spiritual or take his accounts literally (I do) it is an outstanding book. I'm only a 1/4th of the way thru and adding to my favorite books of all time list.

Here's a link

Oh.. I'm glad you reminded me of this dude!! His **** is awesome. I saw the documentary "Yogananda" (sp?) A while back, would highly reccomend it if you haven't seen.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go thru the works of Joseph Heller, best known for Catch-22, next..

By-chance does anyone have a recommendation of something of his thats not Catch-22?

Last edited:
Just finished "Station Eleven" by Emily St John Mandel. Great post-apocalyptic novel, if you like that sort of thing. Very interesting plot. This one will stick with me for awhile.

Guessing you've read "The Road"? How'd you compare it to Station Eleven?

Guessing you've read "The Road"? How'd you compare it to Station Eleven?

The Road will always be the gold standard. Station Eleven isn't as bleak and intense, and of course not quite as good, but it holds its own in different ways. More personality development, more characters, etc.

I just read the novel "Only Child" by Rhiannon Navin. I checked it out from the library prior to the Florida school shooting (recommended by a friend), but didn't start reading it until afterwards and didn't realize it was about a school shooting. It is the story of the shooting from the perspective of a 6-year-old, and it is an interesting, fast read. While I don't believe 6-year-olds are quite as self-aware as this kid, it does show how children fill in the gaps of their knowledge when their parents don't give them the full story of a traumatic event. For example, it took a couple of days for him to realize that the shooter was dead and not coming to his house to kill him.

I'm gonna go thru the works of Joseph Heller, best known for Catch-22, next..

By-chance does anyone have a recommendation of something of his thats not Catch-22?

I read his book "God Knows" quite a few years ago. It was my pick for my book group. It was some sort of a semi-humorous recounting of the life of some Biblical hero (David maybe, the boy who shot Goliath?) - - as I recall we all found it rather confusing and not as good as we were expecting based upon the reviews.

I read his book "God Knows" quite a few years ago. It was my pick for my book group. It was some sort of a semi-humorous recounting of the life of some Biblical hero (David maybe, the boy who shot Goliath?) - - as I recall we all found it rather confusing and not as good as we were expecting based upon the reviews.

Cool thx for the heads up. Knocked it down my list a few notches, I wanna check it out still though I have a knack for deciphering confusing stuff. will leave a review when I get to it.

Gonna go with "Picture This" first.

The Road will always be the gold standard. Station Eleven isn't as bleak and intense, and of course not quite as good, but it holds its own in different ways. More personality development, more characters, etc.

I've gotta read the road... THX FOR the reminder.. I refuse to watch the movie too cuz I want to read it first.. I'm putting Station Eleven on the list too, U said the magic words,Character/personality development, I'll always look at anything that has great characters..

The road was recommended to me by a great man many years ago, back when I only read non-fiction, he said; this reminds me of my relationship with my father, and its nothing like the relationship you had with yours.. I was never actually one of those kids from a ****ed up/dysfunctional family who was jealous of the other people who had normal stable support systems, so it didn't appeal to me at the time.

Nowadays I'm voraciously hunting down great works of fiction, so the time is neigh!!

By-chance have you seen the Movie? can u just tell me what i already know, that it's **** compared to the book.

I've gotta read the road... THX FOR the reminder.. I refuse to watch the movie too cuz I want to read it first.. I'm putting Station Eleven on the list too, U said the magic words,Character/personality development, I'll always look at anything that has great characters..

The road was recommended to me by a great man many years ago, back when I only read non-fiction, he said; this reminds me of my relationship with my father, and its nothing like the relationship you had with yours.. I was never actually one of those kids from a ****ed up/dysfunctional family who was jealous of the other people who had normal stable support systems, so it didn't appeal to me at the time.

Nowadays I'm voraciously hunting down great works of fiction, so the time is neigh!!

By-chance have you seen the Movie? can u just tell me what i already know, that it's **** compared to the book.
I though The Road movie was pretty good (obviously not as good as the book, but few are), but I cannot be objective since I have a big crush on Viggo Mortensen.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

I read "Ready Player One" over the weekend. What a fun read! While I'm not a gamer and was not familiar with most of the games mentioned, I really enjoyed the 80's pop culture blast from the past. I'm excited to see the movie now.

I read "Ready Player One" over the weekend. What a fun read! While I'm not a gamer and was not familiar with most of the games mentioned, I really enjoyed the 80's pop culture blast from the past. I'm excited to see the movie now.
Fun is exactly the word I use to describe it. It's not groundbreaking, or meaningful, but it's a good, fun story.

You should read Redshirts.