What's new

Joe Johnson Coming to Utah

I think I'm a fan of this, so long as he doesn't always start ahead of Rodney. I'm pretty sure he'll know his role though.

Man our bench offence just got so much better. Maybe he plays the 3 next to Alec?

There were a number of needs that the Jazz demonstrated last year:

1. Consistent 3-point shooting
2. Veteran leadership (especially in late-game situations)
3. Go-to scorer during times of scoring droughts

I believe that Johnson checks off most of these needs to an extent. Actually, George Hill does, too. I actually liked trading away the draft pick for Hill; the last thing that the Jazz need is to get younger. They definitely need some additional experience. Not flashy, but overall, great offseason for the Jazz so far. Not to mention, hopefully, Exum and Burks can come back healthy and improved. Jazz and Wolves are going to the be class of the West in the next couple years.

I think I'm a fan of this, so long as he doesn't always start ahead of Rodney. I'm pretty sure he'll know his role though.

Man our bench offence just got so much better. Maybe he plays the 3 next to Alec?

Only reason I would be disappointed with him starting over Hood is because Hood hasn't improved much. The best player should start, I hope that is Hood though.

Part of me is worried we are getting a good player just past his prime like with Raja Bell and Josh Howard. Guys I would have loved on the Jazz 3-4 years before they came. Hopefully he still has a little left in the tank. I was never as big of a fan of Johnson as a #1 or #2 option earlier in his career, but he's got a lot of talent. Has enough size to play the 4, and has/(had?) enough athleticism to play SG. Great fit if he comes in with the right attitude to mentor some of these guys. Is a career 37 % 3pt shooter. Could be higher as he probably won't be asked to create his own offense so much. I like the signing, especially with a 2 year deal.

How good of a defender was he last year? Is that something we need to worry about?

Seriously though, can't wait to hear the takes of the chronic complainers.

Well, surprise. I like the signing. Like the number of years. Decent price, too. Sends a message to current teammates and agents that Jazz are going to be wise with their money.

Johnson shot 44%/38% last year. He's no longer an all-star but can still be a scorer when needed. I assume he'll come off the bench, but he's capable of starting if Hood goes down. Certainly an upgrade over Johnson or Jingles.

Lindsey surprised me with this signing.

I havent read thru all these but I like this signing a lot...Joe Johnson isn't elite any more but he is a solid smart vet that can help us close games out, this is a great signing, two years is good and the money really isnt all that much.
We really needed a good vet and we got him

I'd be shocked if he started. Not happening (barring injuries, of course).

Well, surprise. I like the signing. Like the number of years. Decent price, too. Sends a message to current teammates and agents that Jazz are going to be wise with their money.

Johnson shot 44%/38% last year. He's no longer an all-star but can still be a scorer when needed. I assume he'll come off the bench, but he's capable of starting if Hood goes down. Certainly an upgrade over Johnson or Jingles.

Lindsey surprised me with this signing.
Wow. If Stifle can't find anything to bitch about I'm not sure anyone will be able to.

oh god why did someone have to raise the specter of Raja Bell 2.0 ... man that totally backfired. And was a somewhat similar move too, a solid vet who was supposed to be able to shoot the 3 and provide leadership. .....I'm gonna push it out of my head. I like the signing, a lot. Probably would have preferred Dudley, but it seems like 3 years was a sticking point for him. For us, prob cap reasons we had to do a 2 year deal.

A lot of optimism right now, and that's great. But mark my words, JF will sour on him within a month.

Personally, I think it's an okay deal. A 35 year old chucker with decent shooting %s for 11m. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

A lot of optimism right now, and that's great. But mark my words, JF will sour on him within a month.

Personally, I think it's an okay deal. A 35 year old chucker with decent stats for 11m. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Why do you say that?

Personally, I think it's an okay deal. A 35 year old chucker with decent shooting %s for 11m. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, I mean, we have to sour on someone.

I'm a huge fan of the deal. Came out of nowhere, I didn't even consider Joe Johnson. I haven't dug into the cap but this doesn't effect anything really? I guess the one criticism could be wanting the Jazz to use their money elsewhere but this does seem like one of the better deals that was made today in terms of productivity and fit.

Part of me is worried we are getting a good player just past his prime like with Raja Bell and Josh Howard. Guys I would have loved on the Jazz 3-4 years before they came. Hopefully he still has a little left in the tank. I was never as big of a fan of Johnson as a #1 or #2 option earlier in his career, but he's got a lot of talent. Has enough size to play the 4, and has/(had?) enough athleticism to play SG. Great fit if he comes in with the right attitude to mentor some of these guys. Is a career 37 % 3pt shooter. Could be higher as he probably won't be asked to create his own offense so much. I like the signing, especially with a 2 year deal.

How good of a defender was he last year? Is that something we need to worry about?

Josh Howard was out of the league a year and a half.

Raja Bell was known to be nothing more than a spot up shooter who couldn't really create.

Joe Johnson fits neither of those negative categories.