What's new

John Lucas III prefers the Jazz & looking like another contract/draft pick trade

A-Train (old)

Bill Oram ‏@tribjazz
Sources continue to say the Jazz will use remaining cap space ($5mil) to take a contract and get a draft pick.

Bill Oram ‏@tribjazz
Once/if that happens, Jazz will then want a PG for vet minimum. John Lucas remains a likely option.

Bill Oram ‏@tribjazz
That would be complicated only if Jazz found a point guard via trade. Otherwise, strong signs that Lucas is the choice.

Bill Oram ‏@tribjazz
In meetings with other teams, John Lucas has indicated his preference is for Utah. Last week was told he had interest from 4 teams.

This is good news, lets get a solid role player and a first-round pick for the salary cap space and sign John Lucas III.

I wouldn't mind a 2nd-round pick either because a 2nd-round and cash netted us Gobert this year. :cool:

Jazz acquiring a nice bunch of assets. Really looking like they are trying to set up an offer to good to pass up for something down the road.

I'm not sure what Luke the third brings to the party that Michael Stockton or some other DLeague guard like McNeal or someone else doesn't. He doesn't know our offense right now and basically we are gonna be horrible next year. Might as well be horrible with younger players than journeyman aging hacks. At least a youngster might develop.

Jazz acquiring a nice bunch of assets. Really looking like they are trying to set up an offer to good to pass up for something down the road.

ala how the Rockets and James Harden. Not saying we will get a guy as valuable as Harden, but maybe pretty close.

I'm not sure what Luke the third brings to the party that Michael Stockton or some other DLeague guard like McNeal or someone else doesn't. He doesn't know our offense right now and basically we are gonna be horrible next year. Might as well be horrible with younger players than journeyman aging hacks. At least a youngster might develop.

I'd lean towards this. I am excited to see if the Jazz pull the trigger on another trade though.

ala how the Rockets and James Harden. Not saying we will get a guy as valuable as Harden, but maybe pretty close.

Either a big name player or a 2014 pick for a shot at one of the must haves.

The Harden situation is so rare....a team so full of ballers that the team would rather give him up and collect more assetts. What NBA team has three young potential superstars, and has or will already signed two of them to max contracts, and the rest of their roster extends to near the luxary tax? YOu gotta admit that is a rare set of circumstances.

I can see it happening in Cleveland---maybe.... but whats the prize? Tristan Thompson or Tyler Zeller?

Kendal Marshal from Phx? He's not Harden.

GS with Barnes??? Now that would be Ironic.

The Harden situation is so rare....a team so full of ballers that the team would rather give him up and collect more assetts. What NBA team has three young potential superstars, and has or will already signed two of them to max contracts, and the rest of their roster extends to near the luxary tax? YOu gotta admit that is a rare set of circumstances.

I can see it happening in Cleveland---maybe.... but whats the prize? Tristan Thompson or Tyler Zeller?

Kendal Marshal from Phx? He's not Harden.

GS with Barnes??? Now that would be Ironic.

You just acquire the most assets possible. No telling what opportunities arise in the future.

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

Lucas and Tinsley are very different. Lucas can shoot and Tinsley can't. Tinsley can pass and has size. Lucas does not.

I'm not sure why everyone is having such a hard time grasping we're using cap space for picks... we may be far better off getting a pick and a sub-par player than no pick and a slightly better player.

Who does he play for?

I'm not sure why everyone is having such a hard time grasping we're using cap space for picks... we may be far better off getting a pick and a sub-par player than no pick and a slightly better player.

Who does he play for?

He is a free agent and does not play for anyone. The thing they are talking about is that the rumors say Utah will go after 1 more expiring contract for a pick. Then turn around and sign this Lucas guy for the vet minumum to fill out the PG rotation. 2 different transactions.

Last edited:
Burke did not play good in any of the four Summer League games. He is not more than a 15-20 minutes per game backup for this season. Try to bring Neto, too. Play him 10-15 minutes per game. We need a starter that can play 20-25 minutes per game as a starter at the PG position.

This is what Utah will look to do. When they get the 5th pick, they can then package Kanter and that pick to get Jabari. By having all these other picks, they can toss in another pick as well. That is the homerun they are looking for.

Burke did not play good in any of the four Summer League games. He is not more than a 15-20 minutes per game backup for this season. Try to bring Neto, too. Play him 10-15 minutes per game. We need a starter that can play 20-25 minutes per game as a starter at the PG position.

The summer league is garbage. Being your team's best player vs their sixth best player are two totally different things. The only people who learned anything about Burkes the last 10 days are Jazz coaches and in practice.

scd