What's new

Josh Howard has agreed to terms with Utah

You ARE saying the team brass should try and get us to lose. If the team have a chance to add a player who would add 5 wins to our total, then they should.

Trust me, I was one of the posters last year who was MOST for preferring our team to win, and locking up an 8th seed as opposed to missing the playoffs and getting a "worthless" 11th-14th pick. We then got Alec Burks. The future is not as black and white as you are making it, both situations have immeasurable positives that we won't catch beforehand.

I am not sure how I feel about this signing. If I had to pick I don't see the reason. I guess the good thing is this means no AK. I am going to be pissed if he takes time away from Burks or Hayward. I am not of the believe that sitting guys make them better. You sit guys who can't play not guys who have talent and NEED experience. I am glad it is only for one year but this may lead to the Jazz not keeping their pick. I think it will be ok because even without Howard I think the Jazz are going to be in the playoff hunt.

I'm not saying our guys shouldn't try to win, I'm saying that, given our current roster, there's a good chance we will be in the lottery. Might as well just do our best, develop our youngsters in the process, and be excited about adding another potential All-Star through the 2012 draft.

I will never understand the mindset that A) predetermines a young player is going to be good so he has to play; B) then gives said player minutes at the expense of winning; C) accepts losing to get higher draft picks, so D) we can keep repeating this process.

Just play the players who help you win. Pretty simple.

I give every player a clean slate when they are added to the team. I have my doubts but I hope Howard has a bounce back year.

I'm okay with having vets who need to prove themselves. Howard's not a bad guy. It's not like he's Gilbert Arenas or Javaris Crittendon...

There are going to be enough games and enough minutes for everyone. We need some depth anyway.

You ARE saying the team brass should try and get us to lose. If the team have a chance to add a player who would add 5 wins to our total, then they should.

I think the players and coaching staff should try to win every game, it's their job. But it's the job of management to do what's best for the FUTURE of the team when you're in rebuilding mode, which imo, means acknowledging that a lottery pick in a loaded draft helps your future more than getting swept by Dallas in the first round.

In other words, I think the players and coaches should do everything in their power to win now, while management should do everything in their power to win big in the future, and if that means NOT supplying the team with someone like Josh Howard, then so be it.

Surprises me he agreed to a 1 year contract. Glad KoC stuck to that. Now we'll see if he's recovered enough to actually help us get more wins this season. He may not be able to go in back-to-backs, etc. Dunno; we'll see.
I honestly think KoC and Corbin want to get back to a winning culture as quick as possible; losing can become a BAD habit...
So long, AK; enjoy Moscow/Jersey...

Does anyone get how unlikely it is that Burks is ready for regular minutes? (And don't get me wrong, I light a candle every day that we lucked into the next Dwayne Wade with him.)

Last year, the most "pro ready" wing drafted was Evan Turner. Pretty similar players (outside athleticism), too -- primary ball handlers who could score and fill box sheets. Only Turner was more accomplished. And he could still barely hang on to a rotation job. The other guys (going off memory) were Hayward, George, Aminu, Henry, and George. Not one of those guys was ready for minutes out of the gate.

Does anyone get how unlikely it is that Burks is ready for regular minutes? (And don't get me wrong, I light a candle every day that we lucked into the next Dwayne Wade with him.)

Last year, the most "pro ready" wing drafted was Evan Turner. Pretty similar players (outside athleticism), too -- primary ball handlers who could score and fill box sheets. Only Turner was more accomplished. And he could still barely hang on to a rotation job. The other guys (going off memory) were Hayward, George, Aminu, Henry, and George. Not one of those guys was ready for minutes out of the gate.
. Rep'd I think those who want him to get all the minutes also want us to continue to be lottery bound for the next ten years

I still think the whole thing is craptacular and ****tastic. I would think we could have done better, but I guess for a cheapo rental it's probably as good as any right now.

The more I think about it, the more excited I get about the idea. I'm pretty sure having Harris on the roster also helped his decision to sign here. It'll be fun to see those two guys running the court together again. That Dallas team was a fun one to watch. That'd be so awesome if Josh Howard puts the past behind him and really shines this year. That'd be a pretty cool feel-good story. The same with Tinsley. Afterall, the Jazz are usually one of the few teams where the harder you play the more you're rewarded. Harpring and Bell are great examples of this. Personally, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this year.

Does anyone know how much he is expected to make this year, presuming he remains on the roster (which he most likely will)?? I am sincerely hoping it is sub-3 million. Quite upset initially that we signed another SF, but I trust KOC. We would be kicking ourselves if one of the players becomes injured, and we didn't sign a SF to offer some spot minutes. I just hope he doesn't become the next Raja Bell, starting for most of the season and doing an awful job at it.

Does anyone know how much he is expected to make this year, presuming he remains on the roster (which he most likely will)?? I am sincerely hoping it is sub-3 million. Quite upset initially that we signed another SF, but I trust KOC. We would be kicking ourselves if one of the players becomes injured, and we didn't sign a SF to offer some spot minutes. I just hope he doesn't become the next Raja Bell, starting for most of the season and doing an awful job at it.

Well, the fact that Josh Howard signed for only one year shows me that he wants to prove himself and earn a better contract for next year. That shows confidence that he has a good shot at doing that. Signing for more than one year would be irresponsible, on both sides, and I'm glad his camp saw this, too.

The more I think about it, the more excited I get about the idea. I'm pretty sure having Harris on the roster also helped his decision to sign here. It'll be fun to see those two guys running the court together again. That Dallas team was a fun one to watch. That'd be so awesome if Josh Howard puts the past behind him and really shines this year. That'd be a pretty cool feel-good story. The same with Tinsley. Afterall, the Jazz are usually one of the few teams where the harder you play the more you're rewarded. Harpring and Bell are great examples of this. Personally, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this year.

good point and good find. Rep'd.

That to me right there is why I'm pretty stoked for this pick-up. Howard's best years were when he was running with Harris so I'm sure that makes Josh happier to be here as well as Devin. If it is a one year deal like others have mentioned I don't see the problem with this at all and like someone also said earlier it's an extremely low risk, but has the chance to be a good good pickup.