What's new

Josh Howard has agreed to terms with Utah

That to me right there is why I'm pretty stoked for this pick-up. Howard's best years were when he was running with Harris so I'm sure that makes Josh happier to be here as well as Devin. If it is a one year deal like others have mentioned I don't see the problem with this at all and like someone also said earlier it's an extremely low risk, but has the chance to be a good good pickup.

Exactly. I'm happy for those guys. I'm sure they're both excited as well. :)

Oh, and Howard's transition should be much smoother since I'm sure Devin will take extra time to help him out.

Howard

very interested to hear the terms. If short term/ midrange dollars, very little downside. Hope we did not overpay

He likes illegal drugs and doesn't respect the flag. Great guy!
Incredibly weak reasoning to not like someone.

That said, I don't like him. I thought there was something else to his BS, but if there isn't, then I guess I just bought in to his reputation.

I'm hoping for the best here and trying to look at the positives (AK will NOT be coming back, Jazz needed a true SF, one year deal). Anyone know what the $ is like?

it's the job of management to do what's best for the FUTURE of the team when you're in rebuilding mode, which imo, means acknowledging that a lottery pick in a loaded draft helps your future more than getting swept by Dallas in the first round.
while management should do everything in their power to win big in the future, and if that means NOT supplying the team with someone like Josh Howard, then so be it.

A one year deal for a player like Howard tells me they're doing exactly what they should be doing. Josh Howard isn't the same player he was in Dallas. I'd be much more concerned with a 3 year deal that overpaid someone.

I ask, is this the actions of a rebuilding team? I said all along the jazz are not in rebuilding mode. The Jazz are in it to win it! I feel vindicated.

:D

Still totally confused why Dunleavy signed that deal with the Bucks. Either the Jazz didn't reach out or Dunleavy has reasons beyond basketball and the location of the team (Milwaukee is a bit ****ty).

it is good that we didn't make a long term deal, but i don't think he is even half good as AK

it is good that we didn't make a long term deal, but i don't think he is even half good as AK
Considering that the Jazz don't have to win a championship right now and will be paying less than a tenth of the price, I don't think that really matters. Nearly at all.

Every NBA analyst these days will say that it's better to be really bad (temporarily) that to be consistently mediocre. But even with that in mind, I don't see how Howard makes us that much better. Is he that type of player that legitimately adds 10 wins? Doubtful. 2-3? Maybe.

I don't think he'll make a huge impact on the standings, and really only takes away from minutes for the young guys. Not sure how this benefits this year or long term.

That's funny, the ladies say the same thing about me ;D
That, and your p3n0r.

that means no AK, kinda bummed about that.
That makes two of us, sir.

Time away from Burks = not Ok. Time away from Bell = OK with me.
I'd rather see Bell play 48 than Miles play 1, but I see what you're saying.

Seriously, who doesn't like illegal drugs? Flag? Who cares? It's a piece of cloth that we teach our kids to blindly pledge their lives to, regardless of what it stands for. (which is light years away from what it stood for when the pledge was first written)

I see Howard taking Miles & Bell minutes rather than Hayward and Burks minutes.
Gods, we can only hope.

Considering that the Jazz don't have to win a championship right now and will be paying less than a tenth of the price, I don't think that really matters. Nearly at all.

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter. I would say this move makes much more sense considering our situation. I'm AK fan and always will be, but I think Utah has a game plan, even if they won't admit it.

Still totally confused why Dunleavy signed that deal with the Bucks. Either the Jazz didn't reach out or Dunleavy has reasons beyond basketball and the location of the team (Milwaukee is a bit ****ty).

Been wondering that myself. I think the Bucks got a steal there.

I'm glad this signing happened. I started to come around the other day as more surfaced about his so-called character issues; how can I fault a guy with whom I share similar character issues?

Plus, he has every incentive to be a productive teammate in every capacity. The NE Patriots have had good luck with this model (despite this year's lack of success), and I've always supported it there.

His history with Harris is a nice bonus, and we were thin at that spot. Nice signing.

lol, you americans ;)

Why are all of you so angry/surprised?

Unless you play millsap or evans at the three there is a small hole at sf, even without injuries:

harris/watson/tinsley
hayward/burks/bell
miles/?? (hayward?)*
millsap/favors/evans
jefferson/kanter/okur

*putting hayward there is asking too much with the crazy schedule.

If you put hayward as sf...

harris/watson/tinsley
burks/bell
hayward/miles
millsap/favors/evans
jefferson/kanter/okur

It would mean that either burks or bell has to start. Burks is very unlikely(i'd love it though) and if bell were to start... the forum would have a melt down.

I think most people just can't accept that we needed a veteran 5th wing in the first place. But if you accept that, then you know finding the right guy is the goal. Of the wings still out there, AK was too costly in dollars and years. The best other option I can think of off the top of my head would have been Richard Jefferson. But he has to clear amnesty (not likely) and even if he did he wouldn't have signed with us without more than a one year deal.

Howard, at one year, is the best veteran wing I can think of who fits the program. No risk, potentially high reward if he can resurrect his career, and a much better option than some rookie for when somebody goes down with an injury.

It all hinges on what Howard's going to get paid. AK thinks he's going to get 3 years-$26,000,000 from someone, so to heck with that...

Now that Howard is here, who gets to sit behind the bench in a suit? I am sure with the crazy schedule it will rotate to give guys nights off but somebody will log a lot of time back there. I really hope its not Evans. He's awesome to watch.

Incredibly weak reasoning to not like someone.

That said, I don't like him. I thought there was something else to his BS, but if there isn't, then I guess I just bought in to his reputation.

I'm hoping for the best here and trying to look at the positives (AK will NOT be coming back, Jazz needed a true SF, one year deal). Anyone know what the $ is like?

Weak? How so?