What's new

Game Thread Jul 08, 2024 07:00pm: Grizzlies Vs Jazz (Summer League)

Added to Calendar: 07-08-24

I pray the Jazz bring in Tyus Jones or Fultz to run the team. Neither are good enough to ruin the tank, but can run a team so it actually has structure (Hit Rolling Kessler, kick out to Hendricks in corner, find a slashing rookie, etc). If we roll out Sexton and Keyonte as the guards we are hurting development (and it will suck to watch).

I pray the Jazz bring in Tyus Jones or Fultz to run the team. Neither are good enough to ruin the tank, but can run a team so it actually has structure (Hit Rolling Kessler, kick out to Hendricks in corner, find a slashing rookie, etc). If we roll out Sexton and Keyonte as the guards we are hurting development (and it will suck to watch).
Actually thought Collier did a decent job. Doesn't have the ball a while lot but created quite a few good looks. Just gotta tell Key to let Collier do his thing a bit more. It will help Key a lot also if he simply doesn't try to do too much on offense.

Some quick thoughts on all the players I remember playing.

Keyonte: Great free throw shooting, and too many turnovers. Liked his attitude this game but wish he would've passed more. Maybe he knows he won't play all the games. Still struggled with pressure taking the ball up the court--I'm starting to think he could be a good player but not starting at PG.

Brice: Turnovers were troublesome, but I liked pretty much everything else. Some nice shots and solid D. Also underrated but it was a good decision to keep walking after the brief altercation with Edey.

Cody: Honestly I was pretty happy with what I saw even though it was relatively quiet. There was a great moment where he dribbled through traffic on kind of a chaotic play. He does seem to have a knack for finishing at the rim, and the defense looked solid too.

Taylor: There were a couple moments he got beat really bad on D, but also a lot of great defensive plays down the stretch. I'm still pretty high on him as a 3-and-D rotation player, but he still seems a bit passive to be anything more than that.

Walker: Liked his game today overall. He didn't get put in a lot of positions to score, but the defense was good and he battled a lot in a surprisingly physical summer league game. Obviously the game-tying putback on the FT by Edey was a bit of a sore spot though.

Darius: It was interesting that he was the choice to finish the game. In predictable fashion he made a lot of great defensive plays but also didn't add much on the offensive side of the ball.

Isaiah: Loved his demeanor on the court, and his physical play stood out. Passed the ball well. Hit some outside shots and got some good rebounds.

Kyle: Was kind of a subtle game, but I was pretty impressed overall. The threes didn't go down, but the ball-handling and playmaking at his size seemed real. Seemed to be in the right places too, on both offense and defense.

Kenneth: Seemed fairly obvious that he was aiming to be a facilitator first. Defense didn't seem too bad. He doesn't seem to add too much if he's not touching the ball a lot on offense.

Too much fun! Another hope against hope that Danny lets us compete this year. Convey the damn pick already, we have two more first rounders coming in already next year and we’ve run out of throw away players to make room!

Gets off soap box! (I just want to compete, and I know damn well that Hardy and the boys are also onboard with that.)
Hot take season: ON.

Let's not be fools, though.

Super fun game (well at least second half and OT), the Delta Center was rocking way more than a SL game has any right to be.

Slow start but I love what I saw from Collier, I think he has real potential to be a rotation piece this year. Flips shot didn't fall but he was fluid, had great vision, and just knew where to be on the court when most other players looked like headless chickens. Cody was a little invisible but still looked very fluid out there and just has a pure game.

Kessler set some mean screens and had a great battle with Edey.

1000009977.png

A real point guard is what the Jazz have lacked since Conley. Players would come unlocked, including Lauri. But Collier shows promise. Key will get you points but the rest of the team gets froze up because he has chucker in him and wont pass.

Key - Was chucking and dominating the ball like crazy. Not much to say here.

Hendricks - Not his setting to shine, but he was good. Defends well, I continue to believe the shot will fall. Wish he was a little more active but he was making an impact.

Kessler - Good, solid game.

Brice - I don’t mind him doing extra stuff in these kind of settings, but I don’t think the ball handling stuff is gonna work out. He will need to be more like Bojan and less like Bogdon.

Cody - Looked fine when he did stuff, but mostly a cardio bunny as he was at Colorado. Don’t think he’s making the same quiet impact as a guy like Hendricks.

Collier - Great second half. If he can keep up the intensity/physicality he will stick around in this league.

Flip - Nothing much to report here, missed his shots. Needs to find a way to help his team…might be decent at a many things but not great at enough things to be a role player.

Bazley - Did Bazley things. Plays with the activity I wish we’d see from Hendricks/Williams.

Lofton - Quiet for his standards, but productive nonetheless. Good to show he can play when not dominating offense.

Edey - Fun to watch. Definitely going to create a lot of high% looks with his size, screening, and nastiness. Curiously had no FT’s. Different kind of rim protector outside of college. Will make more contests/block, will also foul a lot more. Think that will be a mixed bag

GG - Might just be the modern day Antoine Walker.

That was half of our Regular Season rotation going to the wire against a summer league team at home. This year is going to be rough. . .
Well, yeah I understand that! Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t actually give it an honest effort for a change. I’m talking mostly about Danny pulling the rug out at the deadline here but who knows what else.

The thing is that winning is contagious but so is losing!

What a weird experirnce for a summer league game. Felt more like playoffs with Memphis playing full court pressure and utilizing the lenient foul rules all game and the ending being super contested.

Key had an up and down game which is just a microcosm of his last season. Probably drew 15+ fouls overall (most being perimeter non-shooting fouls) but also hero balled way too much.

Cody was very invisible but whenever he showed up he looked great. Collier had a nice game as well albeit I have doubts about his drive and finish against better players.

Flip had few moments but our offense didnt really run many plays at all, so his skillset was mostly left unutilized.

Also please dont make hating on Key the en vogue thing here. Next season gonna be insufferable if you do, as he is likely getting more minutes and bigger role than anyone on this SL roster.

What a weird experirnce for a summer league game. Felt more like playoffs with Memphis playing full court pressure and utilizing the lenient foul rules all game and the ending being super contested.

It might be even more in Las Vegas, when Iisalo takes the lead for those summer league games. Grizzlies going to be the team to follow this season aside Jazz.

To me it's a bit disappointing that on a team with 2 first round PGs we couldn't handle the tough press defense and we not just kept coughing up the ball, but when we didn't we rarely got into any type of actual offense. Keyonte just looks like a microwave scorer off the bench to me. I'm sorry. I know tons of people have much higher hopes for him, but this is what I see. I don't think he's strong enough with the ball, I don't think he can run an NBA offense against NBA type of pressure on the ball. And I don't think he can defend. On the other hand, I can see him being successful as a sixth man type who can score against bench units.

In general NONE of our players looked good on-ball. Not Sensabaugh, not Keyonte, not Williams, not Hendricks. With Williams we haven't seen him get enough opportunities and I will reserve judgement. Collier might have a chance to develop into a PG, but too early to tell. And none of this would be concerning if a lot of the hopes of Jazz fans didn't fall on most of those players. I guess there is a silverlining somewhere in that mix too - namely, if we indeed give tons of minutes to those players in the regular season, we might be losing A LOT of games.

Collier was awesome tonight. Steal of the draft.
I think he was the player I liked best from our roster. He had some jitters initially but as he settled he looked like a legit player. Like someone who can play in the league and play PG.

28 points on 17 shots is so bad. Can't believe it
Come on, man. 28 points on 17 shots, but that's with 17 FTs. How many more scoring opportunities are those 17 FTs? Lets say 8. So... it's 28 points on 25 scoring opportunities. His TS is 51%, his eFG is 31%. However we twist it... lets not act like this is efficient offense.

Last edited:
Come on, man. 28 points on 17 shots, but that's with 17 FTs. How many more scoring opportunities are those 17 FTs? Lets say 8. So... it's 28 points on 25 scoring opportunities. Lets not act like this is efficient offense.
Lmao Jesus Christ y'all are trying so hard to make something negative from a great game from Keyonte.

*And he should have had more FTs with how much he was getting fouled*

Given it's the first time they played together in something resembling an organized team activity against another team, I'll reserve judgment on some things. Most dogs/dawgs are a bit gun shy on their first hunt. I like some of what I saw at least and getting a dub in OT in any game is a good experience. Great atmosphere last night.

Back