Added to Calendar: 07-30-20

Game Thread Jul 30, 2020: Utah Jazz vs New Orleans Pelicans

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
Bringing attention to it is a big deal in and of itself. I've had more conversations about race in the past few months than I have had in my entire lifetime. Racism will not end until white people want it to end. And white people have to be made uncomfortable before they will change anything. These situations make people uncomfortable.

My mother was muttering under her breath last night about how more than just black lives matter, and I pointed out as usual that until black lives matter, all lives do not matter. She went out to the kitchen to get a drink during the anthem. I asked her why it bothered her, and she said she didn't know. I didn't point out that her going to get a drink wasn't exactly respecting the national anthem, since that is usually what she is upset about when people kneel during it.

I suspect that these athletes put a lot of money into causes that we know nothing about. But like all social changes, nothing happens until people are uncomfortable and forced to confront the issue.

During the last minute of the game last night, all I could say was "I've missed this so much!" Go Jazz!
I had two conversations during the game with people that were like "enuf with teh BLM stuffssss".

It isn't like the thing that will change the world completely by itself... but it isn't just meaningless pandering. I promise you millions of conversations happened last night.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
But defunding the police means less training and help the police
I disagree. It could simply mean that they don't have overpriced military equipment in their arsenal. And that money could be allocated somewhere (like say mental health facilities) else that could make the police job easier.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

gandalfe

From that article:

"Dating back to the 2016 season, the league suffered a fall in ratings and even experienced a 9.7% drop in viewership for the 2017 season.

The controversy surrounding players kneeling during the national anthem, which led to political criticism mostly from President Donald Trump, was partly to blame for the ratings decline. But one network executive added that the lack of stars hurt ratings, too."

LoPo

Jazz shot 23% from 3 and still won. Starters+JC got buckets inside and we made our free throws. The play of the game I'll remember is DM45 baseball pass to Clarkson who hit Royce for the 3

the clarkson assist to Gobzilla around 4:55 mark is for @LoPo and all his other haters
I'm not a Clarkson hater, but the guy absolutely dominates the ball and forces shots at a rate that makes Donovan look as unselfish as Stockton.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Eenie-Meenie

I really wanted Bradley to shine and was more up on him than a lot of people.

He just isn't good enough or consistent enough on offense to justify his laughable defense.

We tried, and its clear it's not working. Time to upgrade. Hes a really obviously weak spot in the rotation.
Both Davis and Bradley ended up being duds for us.
Bradley has improved a ton. He's young, so I would give up on him yet.

One Brow

Can I throw a truth bomb here?
Apparently not.

But defunding the police means less training and help the police - it would make it worse.
Defunding usually refers to less para-military equipment and replacing police with social workers and others better trained to deal with the homeless, mentally ill, etc., not less training.

Also, black fathers need to marry the women who are having their children.
What's your evidence they don't, if they are not in jail and after adjusting for socio-economic status? Do impoverished white men really marry that much more often than impoverished black men?

Empirical research best supports explanations for the black-white marriage gap that involve labor market disparities and other structural disadvantages that black people face, especially black men. These explanations are rooted in classic demographic arguments about the affordability of marriage and about imbalances in the numbers of men and women available for marriage.

Growing up in a single mother household does lead to crime, and low income status.
I think you are confusing correlation and causation.

The fathers need to understand that the lives that they create are hugely important and if they don't matter to their fathers, then who do this kids matter for?
This is blaming black men for the effects of racism.

One Brow

Is BLM "inclusionist" or "separatist"? Isn't the name itself implicitly racist? There's been lots of incidents of social injustice recently such as inhumane treatment (ICE) at the border resulting in deaths. Not Black Lives. Why is nobody in the movement "saying the name" of Vanessa Guillen? Not a Black Life.
I occasionally see this rhetorical tactic from people who want protestors to go away or or organizations to lose focus and scatter their resources. I have never seen it from someone who uses their own resources for a social justice cause they believe in. Perhaps you're the exception.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Holy **** that Dallas vs Houston score! I thought the game was about over when I checked online and it said like 40 seconds left. Figured Dallas had it won.
Then I went back to check the final and see that the 4th quarter just started.

They might both get to 150 points in regulation.

Release the Kraken

Holy **** that Dallas vs Houston score! I thought the game was about over when I checked online and it said like 40 seconds left. Figured Dallas had it won.

Doris Burke was saying they hold the record for most games lost down to the wire, implying they're choke artists. I pray we win enough games to draw them in the first round.

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

Geez Louise!! Trey Burk went off. 31 points 8-10 threes made. Lol