What's new

Game Thread Jun 08, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Clippers - Game 1

Added to Calendar: 06-08-21

Did anyone else notice that Dwyane Wade actually pronounces his name "Dwy-ane" and not "Duane", or am I just the last idiot the know this?

Did anyone else notice that Dwyane Wade actually pronounces his name "Dwy-ane" and not "Duane", or am I just the last idiot the know this?
You have a link to this? I always heard he was named Dwayne but the birth certificate had a typo and they kept it.

You have a link to this? I always heard he was named Dwayne but the birth certificate had a typo and they kept it.
No it's spelled "Dwyane" and I have been hearing the advertisements for that cube gameshow he hosts all night during the games and he distinctly says "I'm Dwy-ane Wade". Almost is in between "-ane" and "-ene" by the long i is distinct. I guess I'd maybe never really heard him say his own name before. Weird.

It makes me think of someone with a strong southern drawl saying "Wayne" like "wine". Or an Australian accent maybe.

Y’all are irrationally confident. We dealing with a finals mvp with a ton of talent... we also have a key injury... I’m all for optimism but some of y’all gonna be disappointed.

I don’t sense overconfidence here. Just confidence. Take this loser mentality elsewhere. It’s gonna be a dogfight no doubt. No way will it be easy. But confidence is a good thing.

This series goes a minimum of six games. I’ve thought we’re the best two teams in the west all along so let’s ****ing go.

If Conley isn’t quite right, yet, sit him.

I put zero stock in what the so-called “Experts” think of this series but I’ve gotta admit, I’m a bit surprised to see nearly all of them picking the Clips to advance. I figured they’d get more love than us, but I thought it would be around 60/40.

We’re still getting no respect and I love it. Let’s hope the Clips are thinking we’re gonna roll over and play ded.

I put zero stock in what the so-called “Experts” think of this series but I’ve gotta admit, I’m a bit surprised to see nearly all of them picking the Clips to advance. I figured they’d get more love than us, but I thought it would be around 60/40.

We’re still getting no respect and I love it. Let’s hope the Clips are thinking we’re gonna roll over and play ded.

Whoever has the biggest stars typically win playoff games. Kawhi seems to be in Terminator star mode. We shall see what happens. The Clips are a bit of a bi-polar bunch. They finished very engaged against the Mavs but could enter slumber mode. You just never know. I also think Mike’s uncertainty doesn’t help when critics have to pick.

Edit: On espn.com, 7 out of 16 analysts pick the Jazz. Zach Lowe picks the Clips in six.

I don’t sense overconfidence here. Just confidence. Take this loser mentality elsewhere. It’s gonna be a dogfight no doubt. No way will it be easy. But confidence is a good thing.
Ha... sure not being irrationally confident is a “loser mentality”.

The problem is that the Jazz has no one who's proven much of anything in the postseason. The closest is Conley and he's had a smattering amount of success in the playoffs with the Grizzlies and that's about it. The LAC on the whole are like that too - except for Kawhi and that feels like where a bulk of the media is differing to.

Like it or not, but when you're a continually easy out year after year in the semifinals, people start questioning whether you're built to get beyond a certain point. This series is huge for the Jazz to prove they're actually a team capable of a deep playoff run. But it's clear there's skepticism from the media.

We’re going to make the Clips play the math game and give them the midrange. If that’s a winning strategy (and you all know I have serious doubts about this), then the games will typically be won in a grind-it-out fashion. The math game is the long game. We’ll have to shoot a lot of threes and make them at a 37+% rate... or the math will slide against us.

With Conley out or hobbled + with Joe waddling around out there..... our strategy looks very vulnerable to me. This is where our version of Bud-Ball sinks or swims on the back of its core principles.

Bud-Ball needs a Popovich and a Ginobili.... dudes who can explode out of the structure and create in surprising/unpredictable ways. Parker could also put relentless pressure on the interior of the defense, creating advantage for the other perimeter players.

We lack too many of those ingredients. So I don’t have overweening confidence. Mitchell, Ingles, and Clarkson need to have an awesome series. Gobert has got to find a way to dominate in a landscape that will be constantly shifting in order to undermine his strengths.

The problem is that the Jazz has no one who's proven much of anything in the postseason. The closest is Conley and he's had a smattering amount of success in the playoffs with the Grizzlies and that's about it. The LAC on the whole are like that too - except for Kawhi and that feels like where a bulk of the media is differing to.

Like it or not, but when you're a continually easy out year after year in the semifinals, people start questioning whether you're built to get beyond a certain point. This series is huge for the Jazz to prove they're actually a team capable of a deep playoff run. But it's clear there's skepticism from the media.

As there should be imo.

**** maybe I don't need to even watch any of these games.

Actual Jazz fans telling me it's over already. Clips win.

**** it. I'll probably just go ahead and tune in and see what happens.

Three balls are gonna fly. Need to make sure Rudy is cleaning up those boards - we gave up way too many offensive rebounds to the Griz.

Most experts are predicting Clips win the series in 6. Kind of feels good to be considered an underdog.

I will be looking forward to see how Quin decides to go against all the switching that Clips will be doing. Going straight at PG/Leonard and getting them into foul trouble will be key.