What's new

Game Thread Jun 12, 2021 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Clippers - Game 3

Added to Calendar: 06-12-21

Cy may have hit the nail on the head in another thread when he noted this injury could be an aggravation of Don's foot from a couple of years ago. It was really strange the way he came down and never put his right foot down.
Which would mean we are totally ****ed.

I don't think Quin is dog walking Lou anyway. I think this has been a pretty good coaching job by both - but the momentum currently is with Lou. It's now on Quin to gain it back.
Punch. Counterpunch. Counterpunch.
Jazz were never going to sweep the Clippers.
PG and Leonard are too good not to win a game or two, but the Jazz have to do a better job of playing defense, minimizing mistakes (especially turnovers) and getting more rebounds. Clippers have gotten WAY too many extra chances - which they usually convert. Nothing worse than playing good defense and getting a stop - only to have them get the rebound and scoring off it.

you mean when he averaged six points on 34% shooting?

By comparison, in the first round Rivers averaged 11 points on 48% shooting. And Cam Payne averaged 12 points on 41% shooting. Both making roughly the same amount of money as Niang but the difference being it didn't take Nuggets or Suns two years to get them to where they are now.

That's why people called for an end to the Niang experiment. It's just not worth it.

Like the same argument can be made about Royce. I'd say Torrey Craig is not that much worse than him. Except he's making roughly 1/7 of his salary and the Suns basically grabbed him for free . What is the point of doing those so-called development projects on scrubs and hoping them to become backups one day, when we can just go straight into the market to get a bunch of backups to play right away?
Niang's value isnt in his personal stats. He usually does a great job running the offense/defense and making the right play. Tonight was an unusually bad decision making game from him.

The cynical part of me suspects that the new contract is factoring in here.
100%. It’s not cynical. With a big playoff he could be in line for a good payday... or he may be a minimum guy his whole career.

lol man I thought I made this post for a second!

It's not that bad. It's something a lot of players deal with during the playoffs. You just gotta find a way to work through it. I trust Donovan can.
We don’t know what it even is. I think @Saint Cy of JFC is right about the foot, in which case... sigh... that’s... REALLY not good for at least this postseason.

Well it was fun y’all. Looking forward to watching the roster incrementally fall apart over the next few years.
That doesn’t sound like it will get better but who knows. I thought CP was done and then he rose from the dead.

It’s clear we can’t ride him this much. It’s time to bring back Mike and try it... even if we end up going down in flames.

I still think totally sitting Conley here was ***. Probably wouldn’t have resulted in a win, but maybe Donovan wouldn’t feel like he has to go so hard and play so many minutes.

We don’t know what it even is. I think @Saint Cy of JFC is right about the foot, in which case... sigh... that’s... REALLY not good for at least this postseason.
Either way, I think it's safe to say the Jazz don't look anywhere near as good as maybe we thought a day ago. You can tie it to injuries or what but if they get by the Clippers, I'm not very optimistic they beat the Suns. Still, Conley returning can change things dramatically. I just don't know what to expect about Conley.

That doesn’t sound like it will get better but who knows. I thought CP was done and then he rose from the dead.

It’s clear we can’t ride him this much. It’s time to bring back Mike and try it... even if we end up going down in flames.
Pretty sure we go down in flames if our third best player is being told to be George Hill.

Punch. Counterpunch. Counterpunch.
Jazz were never going to sweep the Clippers.
PG and Leonard are too good not to win a game or two, but the Jazz have to do a better job of playing defense, minimizing mistakes (especially turnovers) and getting more rebounds. Clippers have gotten WAY too many extra chances - which they usually convert. Nothing worse than playing good defense and getting a stop - only to have them get the rebound and scoring off it.
Except, their players aren’t getting injured while our players are. Hard to win a series when your starting backcourt either isn’t playing or is breaking.

Jazz were almost always going to lose this game--Clippers weren't going to lose the series tonight. This is not the disaster some of you are making it out to be. The truth is, we really need Mike back to close this series out. And we really need Donovan not to be injured. I've always said that the Jazz can win this series with Mike playing but probably not without him and even still think that's the case. Mitchell's injury really worries me.

Yeah, if Mitchell is gone, heck of a season but man it's an uphill battle. I honestly think it won't be as bad as I'm thinking...but only because I always expect the worse. Curse of being a Jazz fan for 30+ years I guess.