What's new

Game Thread Jun 14, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers - Game 4

Added to Calendar: 06-14-21

Honestly I blame Miye Oni more than anyone lmao. He should have been better this year. He had so much opportunity and he has all the tools.

And like the one thing he is pretty good at, offensive rebounding and making hustle plays, would be really helpful if he wasnt totally useless beyond belief on offense and foul happy on D.
Also... let’s be real. Established players get away with a ton more than guys like Oni... Craig isn’t the most well known guy but he’s much more likely to get away with being physical. PJ Tucker and Bev are the extreme version of that... it sucks that there are seemingly two sets of rules at times but this isn’t new. Not sure any small things matters with how we played last night... but all these end of roster issues are 100% on the front office imo.

Oni was worth keeping around... but why keep Morgan if you have Rudy, Favs and bring in Udoka (it’s actually more like why draft Udoka at all but I digress). Then you bring in Ersan too... like at that point Morgan can be cut and you can get something else that might have use. Morgan and Matt Thomas spots could have been filled with something else that might be useful. This has been @infection ’s corner but why not add a tool to the bench you may need? Austin Rivers is annoying as hell but he was unemployed for weeks... bring that guy in. As Niang was guarding Kennard last night I just laughed... what is he supposed to do there.

Forrest is a fine prospect and he’s what two way deals are for... Brantley too. So whatevs on them.

Also... let’s be real. Established players get away with a ton more than guys like Oni... Craig isn’t the most well known guy but he’s much more likely to get away with being physical. PJ Tucker and Bev are the extreme version of that... it sucks that there are seemingly two sets of rules at times but this isn’t new. Not sure any small things matters with how we played last night... but all these end of roster issues are 100% on the front office imo.

Oni was worth keeping around... but why keep Morgan if you have Rudy, Favs and bring in Udoka (it’s actually more like why draft Udoka at all but I digress). Then you bring in Ersan too... like at that point Morgan can be cut and you can get something else that might have use. Morgan and Matt Thomas spots could have been filled with something else that might be useful. This has been @infection ’s corner but why not add a tool to the bench you may need? Austin Rivers is annoying as hell but he was unemployed for weeks... bring that guy in. As Niang was guarding Kennard last night I just laughed... what is he supposed to do there.

Forrest is a fine prospect and he’s what two way deals are for... Brantley too. So whatevs on them.

DL has been extremely sloppy around the edges. Zero debate about that. It is coming back to bite us in the *** these last two games. We should not have to be playing Niang and Oni minutes in huge games in the playoffs.

DL has been extremely sloppy around the edges. Zero debate about that. It is coming back to bite us in the *** these last two games. We should not have to be playing Niang and Oni minutes in huge games in the playoffs.
I was mocked for using that exact word to describe him... he barely dipped his toes into the tax this year causing some long term issue with the repeater tax. Could have avoided the tax pretty easily... and for what? Thomas, Morgan, Ersan, Shaq? There were also some other mechanics he could have used to make tax avoidance pretty easy.

He’s had some home runs on the edges of the roster... he’s also had some total flipping head scratchers.

Niang isn't able to compete in games like this where the action speeds up and superior athletes are switching onto him. Niang doesn't fit in a series like this. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with Niang. He's an end-of-rotation guy. The Clippers have benched Cousins and Rondo. The Jazz should do the same with Niang.

The problem that the Jazz have isn't on the fringes of their roster. It's that their $34M point guard that they traded a lot to acquire is contributing as much as a cardboard cutout. What we're witnessing is the culmination of the Mike Conley experiment.

Niang isn't able to compete in games like this where the action speeds up and superior athletes are switching onto him. Niang doesn't fit in a series like this. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with Niang. He's an end-of-rotation guy. The Clippers have benched Cousins and Rondo. The Jazz should do the same with Niang.
I think because he was a regular season fixture we thought he'd be a playoff fixture. In the playoffs he could be a rotation guy in certain matchups... He's a reliable 8th/9th guy but not a rotation fixture.

Ty Lue has done a pretty good job sifting through his roster options... but he has options... we don't.

I think because he was a regular season fixture we thought he'd be a playoff fixture. In the playoffs he could be a rotation guy in certain matchups... He's a reliable 8th/9th guy but not a rotation fixture.

Ty Lue has done a pretty good job sifting through his roster options... but he has options... we don't.

Right now we have 6 players we can count on. Favors has been terrible this series mainly because they just attack him as soon as Rudy comes out.

Clippers are 10 players deep. We desperately need Conley back because that then pushes Ingles back to the bench which would help a ton.

lmao your supporting his take only validates my original post. Thanks, bro.
Not really. Donovan's passive aggressive behavior on social media is pretty well documented at this point lol.

Right now we have 6 players we can count on. Favors has been terrible this series mainly because they just attack him as soon as Rudy comes out.

Clippers are 10 players deep. We desperately need Conley back because that then pushes Ingles back to the bench which would help a ton.
Its not just that they are 10 deep... they are 12 ish deep with players that do different things. Its the variety. Need shooting then you play Kennard... need defense you play Bev... need playmaking you can play Rondo. I get that it is LA and they have options available that we don't because of market etc., but the options Quin has are embarrassingly limited. If we lose this series it will be primarily because of Mike not being available but secondarily because or 5th through 8th men were completely dominated. That sucks.

Jazz desperately need Conley back for game 5
He has to try to play some minutes
He has to rally the team around him and tell them we can beat these guys together
He has to find a way to play and not aggravate his injury

He's been a big disappointment for sure... but its why if you are DL and the opportunity to nab Torrey Craig comes up for free you do it. We need at least one more proven guy... no matter how high we were on Oni. I don't think any other contender has this many roster spots dedicated to prospects and projects. Niang not being able to play at the highest levels should be somewhat predictable. Having a player or two nursing an injury is predictable. You have to anticipate some of these needs.
The other part to how many prospects and projects the Jazz have is that they are kinda ***. Like, these are either dudes that fill no role, we spent an asset we shouldn't to get them, and they have holes larger than the cheese to their game; or they are picks at the end of the 2nd round in a bad draft. That's fine if one of them performs, but the priority is based on nothing (except maybe cheap labor).

DL gettin' high on his own supply for sure. It's embarrassing.

It probably isnt true, but sometimes I feel like Mitchell throws Gobert passes he knows Gobert can't handle just to make him look bad.
Don’t let the bad feels after a loss get to you.

Without Conley, the home team will continue to win in this series. Game 7 will be epic, and Donovan and friends will find a way to pull it out in front of our crowd in spite of plentiful Kawhi magic.

We absolutely need Conley to get past Phoenix tho.

Don’t let the bad feels after a loss get to you.

Without Conley, the home team will continue to win in this series. Game 7 will be epic, and Donovan and friends will find a way to pull it out in front of our crowd in spite of plentiful Kawhi magic.

We absolutely need Conley to get past Phoenix tho.
Why is it assumed that Conley can only either play 30+ minutes or sit in street clothes? There has to be a middle-road solution that doesn't grind Conley into another injury and takes some burden off Mitchell.

In other words, we need Conley to get past this team and waiting till the Jazz are at the brink of elimination is not going to help a single damn thing.

Why is it assumed that Conley can only either play 30+ minutes or sit in street clothes? There has to be a middle-road solution that doesn't grind Conley into another injury and takes some burden off Mitchell.

In other words, we need Conley to get past this team and waiting till the Jazz are at the brink of elimination is not going to help a single damn thing.
Certainly my preferred scenario is to have Conley back in any capacity right now. Limited minutes is fine.

I just don’t think the sky is falling without him. We could have won game 4 if we remembered where the stadium was for the 1st quarter.

I think we need to forget that we are going to get regular season wide open shots again. If there's an inch of an opening, shoot it! Clips wanted us to drive, they are good at clogging the paint. Especially bogey he's been driving a lot with little success. We need him to shoot more. He's one of our best shooters. If somebody shoots, others scramble for the rebound.

Bogey 3pt shooting

Game 1 - 3/6
Game 2 - 3/5
Game 3 - 1/5
Game 4 - 2/5

Not enough

The Morris quote doesn't bother me. After how Morant's family was treated here, I can see how a black family member might want to avoid the Vivent.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app