What's new

Game Thread Jun 16, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Clippers - Game 5

Added to Calendar: 06-16-21

lol D gave up 36 first quarter points and the offense, that scored 37, is the issue. Mmmk Rudy

Last edited:
Conley doesn't get injured, we get all the way to the finals with a good chance at winning. We were a freakin machine with him on the floor. You keep Crowder, Allen and picks, you set a very low ceiling on the team.

You roll the dice, live by the result. This postseason we had (still have) a chance to win a chip...it's declining due to players' health.

I think it was a good trade. The problem? the moves around the corners. Not getting players who could step up in situations like this.
I didn't like the trade because the cost. We outbid ourselves. The fit was okay because Don needed help in the backcourt.

It would be nice to have him, but we don't. And we didn't have him last year until a couple of games in. If he never had injuries, okay that sucks. But the guy was injury prone before we got him which made the trade that much riskier.

I don't know. I'm a happy, optimistic person but the Conley deal always irked me. Irks me still that we still owe a 1st from it.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I thought that too, but I dont think it really matters. If he cant split it then nothing positive is going to come if you have Royce being the release valve. Maybe that's an adjustment Quin can make now that we definitely know Mitchell's health is ****ed to the point where he can't be making those kinds of plays consistently.
If Ingles was playing any good, we could run Mitchell some plays off-the-ball like how they did with PG but Ingles has been shaky at best. So I don't know what other adjustments are there aside from changing the release valve but Quin is smarter than me.

Crazy that if the Jazz didn't have their third-best player for the last series, they would have lost even with their first and second best players playing. Just wild how that works.

Sorry man, it's largely the objective truth. Maybe it's more they straight tied, but this series proved it. The Jazz need both players to function at a high level. Without Conley they lack the leadership presence to make others better and without Mitchell they lack the ability to put pressure on the rim. I think overall Conley is more important because of the defensive impact he can bring.
Nope... Dons on one leg and was averaging like 35 a game... taking double teams from two great defenders... Conley is necessary for us to beat the best teams... doesn’t mean he’s better.

After 17 first half 3s, the Jazz only made 3 the entire second half and finished with 37% 3pt shooting (to 40% for the Clippers).

The sad thing is that we had more FTA, 2nd chance, and fast break points, and were close on rebounds, and assists. Points off turnovers, which had been a big issue in previous games, was close. Truly, nothing in the team box score stands out at glaringly deficient except missing a bunch of free throws and giving up 51% shooting (40% from 3).

Yeah, I thought he held onto the ball too long and that extra second the ball stopped took us out of our flow. He would consistently beat the double teams or he would be already be on the move. But he still passed out of those and Royce didn't make many good plays out of them. Quin put Bogey at the top later and it got us a few looks but couldn't convert them.
Yeah. he moved Bogie from the corner to the top of the key, which got us a few open looks (and one 3). Don't have Royce trying to make plays off the dribble or shooting from the top of the key, where he doesn't feel as comfortable. Bogie or Ingles would be more comfortable getting those passes.

Our offense is so hard to watch right now. An injured Donovan and no Conley takes away so many weapons, including our PNR game and Rudy's threat at the basket.

If Ingles was playing any good, we could run Mitchell some plays off-the-ball like how they did with PG but Ingles has been shaky at best. So I don't know what other adjustments are there aside from changing the release valve but Quin is smarter than me.
There was like a switch that flicked off the second the playoffs started that turned Ingles into hot garbage. WTF is going on with him?

Ingles just can't do his go-to stuff against switching defenses. His PNR with Gobert where he fakes the pass to go glass? Non-existent vs switches so it just ends up being him driving into the paint then making a bad decision against a set D.

The Jazz's strengths just crumble on top of each other when one of Mitchell/Conley/Gobert is out.

This times 100,000,000,000.

The solution? Keep the league's best paint protector IN THE PAINT!!! Adjust so that others guard the perimeter more aggressively. 4 out, 1 in. Nuf said.

MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT QUIN!!! DONT SAY THIS IS OUR DNA AND RIDE IT TO THE GRAVE!!!
Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. He’s been absolutely out classed

I didn't like the trade because the cost. We outbid ourselves. The fit was okay because Don needed help in the backcourt.

It would be nice to have him, but we don't. And we didn't have him last year until a couple of games in. If he never had injuries, okay that sucks. But the guy was injury prone before we got him which made the trade that much riskier.

I don't know. I'm a happy, optimistic person but the Conley deal always irked me. Irks me still that we still owe a 1st from it.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
It was a risk but worth taking to win it all (in that case everyone would forget who we gave away).

Can you imagine how the Clippers would feel if they lose? They gave up 4 first round picks and promising young players for PG13. It could always be worse...

He was an assistant under Budenholzer, who is likely to lose his job if the Bucks fall in this round, for also failing to adjust his playoff rotations and schemes.
This is what cracked me up - watching Jazz fans and the media dog-walk Bud last night and then offer up excuse after excuse for Quin.

Quin is the most untouched coach in the NBA. The local media shields him from any criticism. He's on the cusp of overseeing the first 2-0 blown lead in a seven-game series in franchise history and that's on top of his blowing a 3-1 lead last year - the first time in franchise history.

That doesn't even get into the fact he still can't get Utah out of the second round but boy is he always above reproach. The dude is a mediocre playoff coach - just like Bud.

Ingles just can't do his go-to stuff against switching defenses. His PNR with Gobert where he fakes the pass to go glass? Non-existent vs switches so it just ends up being him driving into the paint then making a bad decision against a set D.

The Jazz's strengths just crumble on top of each other when one of Mitchell/Conley/Gobert is out.
I don't really expect the PnR stuff that much. He still got a few fake pass buckets this series so it's not like he isn't making that happen either but it's his ballhandling on the perimeter that has been shaky. It doesn't look like he can keep his dribble alive more than 2-3 seconds which seriously limits our options. He still has other weapons, like the pull up 3 but they haven't been there consistently.

I will say the Jazz have an issue with specialization that leads to overburdened players.

They really need a jack of all trades kind of player to round out the team. Even a bench guy in that mold.

I don't really expect the PnR stuff that much. He still got a few fake pass buckets this series so it's not like he isn't making that happen either but it's his ballhandling on the perimeter that has been shaky. It doesn't look like he can keep his dribble alive more than 2-3 seconds which seriously limits our options. He still has other weapons, like the pull up 3 but they haven't been there consistently.
The craziest **** are the possessions when there is like 5 on the clock and he runs a crossing action with Royce to give him the ball against a better defender.