What's new

Kanter or Olynyk

I've seen Olynyk play a few times and he doesn't impress me at all. He's slow and soft in the paint.

At best, he'll be a decent jump shooting big man off the bench.

Olynyk looked real smooth in the post, a lot of moves, a la Kevin McHale, though probably not as athletic. A lot better than I expected, and he can shoot the 3, which is something McHale couldn't do.

Ask your mom.

I asked loserslose's mom last night. She said as a rookie she'd pick Olynyk. But after seeing what Kanter can turn into (ie, sophmore return), Kanter by far.

I didn't find it wise to pick Olynyk under any circumstances, but she's a die hard Gonzaga fan, and she knows the game better than I expected.

Sorry about the bathroom incident, loserslose. If it makes you feel any better, I've seen smaller.

Kanter most likely.

Olynyk was a beast in SL, but remember he is a 5 year college player (I think he red-shirted once during his career).

Two totally opposite games. Kanter is a bruiser in the paint with some outside game. Olynyk is a versatile big man who seems to do a lot of little things well but nothing utterly outstanding. I think Olynyk could be Rookie of the Year though. Based on summer league and the likely minutes he'll get for the rebuilding Celtics, he'd be my pick.

Upside:

Olynyk's best case: Mehmet Okur / (smaller) Brook Lopez

Kanter's best case: Alonzo Mourning (without shot blocking) / Kevin Love (less Basketball IQ).

Worst case: Kanter is a more athletic Pekovic while Olynyk is Byron Mullens with better post moves or Luis Scola.

Kanter has much more upside and untouched potential. Olynyk is rather a finished product that is at worst a 20 minutes per game bench player or an average starter at best in future while Kanter can become a top 3 Center in this league.

Ask your mom.

KelsoBURN.png

Upside:

Olynyk's best case: Mehmet Okur / (smaller) Brook Lopez

Kanter's best case: Alonzo Mourning (without shot blocking) / Kevin Love (less Basketball IQ).

Worst case: Kanter is a more athletic Pekovic while Olynyk is Byron Mullens with better post moves or Luis Scola.

Kanter has much more upside and untouched potential. Olynyk is rather a finished product that is at worst a 20 minutes per game bench player or an average starter at best in future while Kanter can become a top 3 Center in this league.

If you are a good player you aren't a finished product at age 23. The fact that he is showing legit NBA 3-point range after only taking .9 per game in college (and only shooting them at a 31% rate) shows that he is capable of adding things to his game.

To me Olynyk's upside is Dirk Nowitzki-lite or Andrea Bargani with balls.