What's new

Kevin Pelton (analytics guru) would have taken Exum #1

It's an awesome feeling to finally have a player with "elite" potential. I am really excited to see what our players can do with a new coaching staff.

Yeah... you putting Locke into a woman's form makes me think you have a pretty distorted view of women...

You are a SICK SICK man...

Go to Therapy!

That said... Listening to Locke is like licking Voldemort's butt wart discharges fluid...

Yeah... you putting Locke into a woman's form makes me think you have a pretty distorted view of women...

You are a SICK SICK man...

Go to Therapy!

That said... Listening to Locke is like licking Voldemort's butt wart discharges fluid...

Voldemort=britney spears.
You are sick dude

If Exum can build up his stamina so he can play longer than three minutes, we might have a player on our hands.

How long until exum is in the d league?

Pelton is good. He looks at analytics, but he also takes a step back to understand the real story they're telling, if they're telling anything.

Pelton is *the* most reputable analytics guy, in my opinion.

obviously his analysis is crap when he thinks exum should be #1. and month ago he had marcus smart at #1.

no way in hell anybody can take exum over wiggins or parker simply because they knew nothing about exum.

Pelton is a cool dude, he is always skeptical when it comes to interpreting stats, drawing conclusions. I like how he once showed mathematically there is no such thing as "hot hand", it's total ********.

Though Dante's case should be nothing about stats, there was virtually no stats to analyze in the first place.
And with so many unknowns, it's almost never +EV to invest on Dante with the 1st pick

That being said, Dante's ceiling is as high as anyone else's. He certainly is a tier-1 player of the '14 Draft, along with Jabari, Wiggins and Embiid. I can understand the Sixers' decision, they like collecting the injured players but I still don't know why the Magic passed on him. LOL

Reactions: MVP
That being said, Dante's ceiling is as high as anyone else's. He certainly is a tier-1 player of the '14 Draft, along with Jabari, Wiggins and Embiid. I can understand the Sixers' decision, they like collecting the injured players but I still don't know why the Magic passed on him. LOL

They needed a PG and PF and probably decided that a combination of Gordon+Payton is better than any combination that Exum and PF they could have gotten at #12. I think it had more to do with the fact that they didn't like any PF for #12.

They needed a PG and PF and probably decided that a combination of Gordon+Payton is better than any combination that Exum and PF they could have gotten at #12. I think it had more to do with the fact that they didn't like any PF for #12.
Yes, very good point. The only PF's projected to be on the board at #12 were Saric and Payne - and maybe McBuckets (a tweener). Saric wasn't coming over and perhaps they just didn't see Payne as lottery value. They probably fell in love with Payton and had Ennis as a backup plan.

Still think it was a mistake. You don't pass up a Tier-1 player for Tier-2.

...but I still don't know why the Magic passed on him.
Some questions are better left unanswered. Like the time I found a hundred dollar bill lying on the ground in an empty parking lot, I never questioned why someone would leave it there...I'm just happy I was able to put it in my pocket.

Lets call a spade a spade. You don't ever make a value based decision like that to pass up tier 1. They thought Exum was tier 2. All we can hope now is they were wrong :)