What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

So can someone help me understand why everyone is making the assumption that the Lakers 27 and 29 picks will be lottery picks? Are they not the most attractive free agent destination in the league and therefore likely to just reload once Bron and AD age out?

So can someone help me understand why everyone is making the assumption that the Lakers 27 and 29 picks will be lottery picks? Are they not the most attractive free agent destination in the league and therefore likely to just reload once Bron and AD age out?

They missed the playoffs 6 years in a row before LeBron signed with them.

Yes... all you have to do is look at the post Kobe Lakers... LA was very much an attractive destination then too. They had a four year run where they drafted 7,2,2,2... so yeah they very much could suck.

You're mistaking me for others when you say I'm thinking that the long-term tank has to be the plan. But I don't think the plan includes long-term free agents right away. Maybe trades, though. We'll see, I guess.
The cap is going to boom in 24 or 25. Part of the Jazzs strategy is going to be to sign starter quality players to long term deals that will look like bargains in the 2nd half of their contracts.

I could be wrong, but I think that's the plan. Jazz already have a lot of young core pieces in place. Nailing this next draft is going to be crucial.
I'm not sure how badly the Lakers want to get off the Westbrook contract, but if he has great value, how come they haven't traded him for assets yet? I don't see them getting off that contract without paying for it.

Also, there is _no_way_ the Jazz make any trade with the Lakers if they don't get picks. Bogey will be pretty easy to trade while getting something back, Jazz are probably in no hurry to get out of Gay's contract. I guess they'd like to move Conley, but they won't pay to do so I would think.
1. Value is relative. There aren't many tanking teams right now. The teams that are bad are mostly bad because they are young teams of high draft picks without an abundance of useful vets or bad contracts. If you are a team who is trying to shed future salary and get worse, Westbrook is a dream contract.

2. I agree I don't expect the Jazz to do so either because they can probably get a first out of Bogey elsewhere.

But if there isn't any other way to get off Conley and Gay then doing it might be the best move. What's more valuable: guaranteeing they are a bottom 3 team or getting a late first rounder out of Bogey?

I just want to remind people that Jazz Notes has no sources and is throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks.

Way higher hit rate than most, and that says nothing of Tony Jones.
Tony Jones has not reported anything except that the two teams have interest. He has not reported anything is imminent and has not reported any talks are "progressing towards a deal" ...
How dare you, next you’re going to say that Monty doesn’t have any sources when he had every possible scenario covered “weeks ago”
Except the one that actually happened :D

I will likely check twitter 400 times today and tomorrow before giving up...then right as a conference call starts I'll see the first part of the woj bomb... The lakers are trading Westbrook to Team X... and it will throw me into a totally ****** distracted call.

If the Lakers are willing to give up the two picks we have the goods to do it. They may not be willing to go that far... if they want basically all expiring contracts and good players we can do that but might need to loop in a third team for JC. I still say it would cost Vando to do it, but I think both teams should be willing to do it.

Say its Bogey, Beasley, Danny Green, Vando and some seconds from Memphis to LA for Westbrook and Nunn... they get three starters and have some smaller contracts to move later with a couple extra seconds. Maybe they sneak top 5 protection on the 29 pick so it doesn't convey if its that high... but I'd take the chances given the new lotto odds.

Sending out Vando makes a huge hole at center which means we get to see all we want of Doke and Kessler while likely losing a **** ton of games. Its a hole we can fill with the young players or in FA fairly easily.

Really interested to know what all offers the Lakers have in front of them. Utah/Indy are the only real reported teams iirc.

I wonder if the Spurs would put Keldon Johnson/Poetl in for both unprotected picks. According to fanspo McDermott/Johnson/Poetl works for Russ. Doesn't seem like it should tho.

Really interested to know what all offers the Lakers have in front of them. Utah/Indy are the only real reported teams iirc.

I wonder if the Spurs would put Keldon Johnson/Poetl in for both unprotected picks. According to fanspo McDermott/Johnson/Poetl works for Russ. Doesn't seem like it should tho.
SA still has cap space so they could be a wildcard here. It would likely be Poeltl, Richardson, and maybe one other filler salary. They should retain Keldon and McDermott's deal wouldn't fit real well with Lakers wanting space. I think that would be a 1 pick type of offer.

The SA Indy types have no real reason not to be done if they were on the table. I really think we execute something with the Lakers for at least one of the picks.

Spurs have 22.8M worth of cap space. They technically only have to send out around 24.3M worth of salary.

SA still has cap space so they could be a wildcard here. It would likely be Poeltl, Richardson, and maybe one other filler salary. They should retain Keldon and McDermott's deal wouldn't fit real well with Lakers wanting space. I think that would be a 1 pick type of offer.

The SA Indy types have no real reason not to be done if they were on the table. I really think we execute something with the Lakers for at least one of the picks.
Idk, Johnson should be in there. Two late Lakers unprotecteds should get you an all-star caliber or potential all star caliber player back imo.

Idk, Johnson should be in there. Two late Lakers unprotecteds should get you an all-star caliber or potential all star caliber player back imo.

They could theoretically duck the tax all together with a Spurs deal. Save 16M worth of salary and a 33M luxury tax payment. That alone is worth a lot. Like HH said if that deal was on the table there is no reason it shouldn’t be done already.