What's new

Lakers-Jazz Trade

I think st this point the Jazz make the trade for an unprotected pick and something like a top 8-10 protected pick. But the Lakers take Conley or Gay. I do think they are on the clock.

Nothing to do here, but just watch France-Turkey. France very lucky to win as they were quite terrible. Fournier really bad. Rudy save his team, making few stop, getting so important offensive rebound and dunks... make me feel we gonna deeply regret him...

Fine by me... they can enjoy a ****** season and pray that Kyrie comes... and then continue praying that Kyrie shows up after he signs.

It is just effing hilarious how people can talk themselves into things working out differently when it clearly won't. Their in-season options moving Russ will be terrible. NO can throw a parade doe... since they have swap rights on the Lakers pick.

“Based on the executives I’m talking to, they believe that the Lakers have come to the conclusion that they’re not going to trade Westbrook now, because they don’t like any of their offers and they’re going to try and make the best of it and see what happens,” Windhorst said. ”

Lmao. This has me dying!! Basically he made them worse, is getting old, shooting is worse than it ever has been, and has one of the overpriced contracts in the nba, but the lakers are being low balled. GD I HATE THE LAKERS!!

“Based on the executives I’m talking to, they believe that the Lakers have come to the conclusion that they’re not going to trade Westbrook now, because they don’t like any of their offers and they’re going to try and make the best of it and see what happens,” Windhorst said. ”

Lmao. This has me dying!! Basically he made them worse, is getting old, shooting is worse than it ever has been, and has one of the overpriced contracts in the nba, but the lakers are being low balled. GD I HATE THE LAKERS!!
Good luck making the best of that situation. Idiots!!

I’m hung up on the language. I don’t know how you can “low-ball” an offer for the absolute most cancerous player in the NBA who is also one of the highest paid.

Low-ball offer for their picks? Sure, maybe. But that would insinuate that the Lakers know they’ll probably suck in 2027 and that is a win in itself.

This is just the author (Byrne -- who I kind of respect) interpreting from the Windhorst report that we all saw yesterday or the day before. It's not "new."

But if it turns out to be true, I'm not doing the LOL Lakers thing on this particular move. They've gotten themselves into this impossible situation, to be sure, but I'm not going to clown them for deciding not to make this particular deal with the Jazz.

They apparently would really like to do three things:
a) keep their cap space clean for next year (to offer Kyrie, presumably, but who knows)
b) get rid of Westbrook and turn him around for pieces that put them into title contention
c) keep their only remaining 2 picks that they can deal (or at least one of them)

It seems impossible to do all three. They might be willing to compromise on one if they can get the other two.

They seem to think that a trade for Turner and Hield would get them closest to the contention goal (but still maybe not even close enough), and Indy doesn't seem to want to/can't play along in a way that doesn't destroy the other two goals.

The Jazz also allow the Lakers to get rid of Westbrook and make their team better. But from all I've heard, they don't believe the Jazz players would do as much as the Turner/Hield trade in terms of making them contenders. And we are also wanting the two picks. The only advantage we have over a theoretical Indy offer is helping them keep their cap space for next year. But we really can't keep this even as clean as they want.

So just keeping Westbrook is the option that allows two of the other goals to be reached.

Unless Lebron gives them an ultimatum, I think they'll keep Westbrook. It might be fun to watch another year of dysfunction in LA, but I can't disagree with their choice if that's what they do.

This is just the author (Byrne -- who I kind of respect) interpreting from the Windhorst report that we all saw yesterday or the day before. It's not "new."

But if it turns out to be true, I'm not doing the LOL Lakers thing on this particular move. They've gotten themselves into this impossible situation, to be sure, but I'm not going to clown them for deciding not to make this particular deal with the Jazz.

They apparently would really like to do three things:
a) keep their cap space clean for next year (to offer Kyrie, presumably, but who knows)
b) get rid of Westbrook and turn him around for pieces that put them into title contention
c) keep their only remaining 2 picks that they can deal (or at least one of them)

It seems impossible to do all three. They might be willing to compromise on one if they can get the other two.

They seem to think that a trade for Turner and Hield would get them closest to the contention goal (but still maybe not even close enough), and Indy doesn't seem to want to/can't play along in a way that doesn't destroy the other two goals.

The Jazz also allow the Lakers to get rid of Westbrook and make their team better. But from all I've heard, they don't believe the Jazz players would do as much as the Turner/Hield trade in terms of making them contenders. And we are also wanting the two picks. The only advantage we have over a theoretical Indy offer is helping them keep their cap space for next year. But we really can't keep this even as clean as they want.

So just keeping Westbrook is the option that allows two of the other goals to be reached.

Unless Lebron gives them an ultimatum, I think they'll keep Westbrook. It might be fun to watch another year of dysfunction in LA, but I can't disagree with their choice if that's what they do.
I can. I want the Jazz to end up with one of those picks. Take some seconds or a swap instead of the other one, but the only deal I’d like more is Miami’s ‘23 pick and Jovic.

What do you all think about the "rumored" trade with the pelicans

Jazz trade

Conley, Butler

Pelicans trade

Graham, Hayes, Marshall?
Probably a pick or 2

I know Graham got a DWI recently but that is not a career killer.

Jaxson Hayes is another thing. I like his talent but his arrest is hard to deal with. Domestic violence and resisting arrest. I think Utah is the place to clean up his stuff.

Marshall is a throw in for salary.

Butler was added to dump some players.

What do you all think about the "rumored" trade with the pelicans

Jazz trade

Conley, Butler

Pelicans trade

Graham, Hayes, Marshall?
Probably a pick or 2

I know Graham got a DWI recently but that is not a career killer.

Jaxson Hayes is another thing. I like his talent but his arrest is hard to deal with. Domestic violence and resisting arrest. I think Utah is the place to clean up his stuff.

Marshall is a throw in for salary.

Butler was added to dump some players.
Rumored where? We add net +1 players on a team that needs to jettison 3 dudes?

I can. I want the Jazz to end up with one of those picks. Take some seconds or a swap instead of the other one, but the only deal I’d like more is Miami’s ‘23 pick and Jovic.
Also, don't underestimate Lebron making a BIG ****ing scene if **** goes down basically the same way it did last time. And what does it do to their ability to draw a premier free agent there anyway? Even a tool like Kyrie? If there's any dude in the league that would be stoked to flex how above money (and glamour and whatever else) he is, it's Kyrie, and not even he would be attracted to something that EVERY indication says is a total tire-fire.

I'll be satisfied with a paired-down offer that gets one pick or a less paired-down offer for additional marginal compensation like you mentioned.

I'm not totally sure the Heat deal is actually there. Duncan's contract is onerous, even for a team that's gonna spend a few years playing for picks and there is a ceiling on what the Heat might be willing to offer. But I agree, I think their '23 and Jovic would be enticing for Bogey. PHX '24 unprotected might be the dream though, if it's just Bogey.

Last edited:
Also, don't underestimate Lebron making a BIG ****ing scene if **** goes down basically the same way it did last time. And what does it do to their ability to draw a premier free agent there anyway? Even a tool like Kyrie? If there's any dude in the league that would be stoked to flex how above money (and glamour and whatever else) he is, it's Kyrie, and not even he would be attracted to something that EVERY indication says is a total tire-fire.

I'll be satisfied with a paired-down offer that gets one pick or a less paired-down offer for additional marginal compensation like you mentioned.

I'm not totally sure the Heat deal is actually there. Duncan's contract is onerous, even for a team that's gonna spend a few years playing for picks and there is a ceiling on what the Heat might be willing to offer. But I agree, I think their '23 and Jovic would be enticing for Bogey. PHX '24 unprotected might be the dream though, if it's just Bogey.
I keep coming back to that running it back with Westbrook will be a total catastrophe for them and not just for this upcoming season. They have to shed the LOLakers stink they got on them now or free agency might not be too promising for them either.

Furthermore, getting good players now for picks then allows them to have the option of re-signing some of them due to their Bird Rights in case chasing some other player(s) doesn't work out so well; it gives them a backup plan. And in the case of Vanderbilt, it should be important for them to have a perfect-fit NBA player that ALSO fits into their free agency plans next offseason as well, due to his discount deal.

Some alternate pitches to get it over the finish line (they get all the veterans we can offer, but no extras like 2nds, the Cavs '26 swap if that can be arranged, etc) :
-'27 super swap, '28 top-3 protected (top-3 protected in 2029 or else conveys to 2nds)
-'26 swap, '27 top-3 protected (through '28, '29 becomes unprotected), 2nds

I keep coming back to that running it back with Westbrook will be a total catastrophe for them and not just for this upcoming season. They have to shed the LOLakers stink they got on them now or free agency might not be too promising for them either.

Furthermore, getting good players now for picks then allows them to have the option of re-signing some of them due to their Bird Rights in case chasing some other player(s) doesn't work out so well; it gives them a backup plan. And in the case of Vanderbilt, it should be important for them to have a perfect-fit NBA player that ALSO fits into their free agency plans next offseason as well, due to his discount deal.

Some alternate pitches to get it over the finish line (they get all the veterans we can offer, but no extras like 2nds, the Cavs '26 swap if that can be arranged, etc) :
-'27 super swap, '28 top-3 protected (top-3 protected in 2029 or else conveys to 2nds)
-'26 swap, '27 top-3 protected (through '28, '29 becomes unprotected), 2nds
I think they are just flat out stupid or they have no faith that Lebron/AD have another title run in them.

There is a large part of me that roots for chaos here and just hopes they do run it back. We can get picks elsewhere… it would make this season like 25% more enjoyable to watch the titanic slam into the iceberg again.