What's new

Lance Armstrong: Dope or Nope?

Sloanfeld

Banned
Federal prosecutors have spoken with a former Lance Armstrong teammate who backed allegations that the seven-time Tour de France winner took part in and encouraged systematic doping, according to The New York Times.

The cyclist said he had spoken with investigators detailing his own performance-enhancing drug use and widespread doping by members of Armstrong's United States Postal Service team. The source did not say he told prosecutors about Armstrong's alleged use of PEDs, but said Armstrong knew of and encouraged doping, according to the Times report.

The rider said he has not been called before a grand jury convened in Los Angeles to investigate the case, according to the report.

Armstrong, who beat testicular cancer before returning to competitive cycling to win seven Tours, has steadfastly denied allegations of doping.

On Thursday, his attorney Bryan D. Daly released a statement saying the report contains "inappropriate leaks designed to create a circus-like atmosphere."

"To the extent that any riders are suggesting that Lance Armstrong violated cycling rules or doped, they are either mistaken or not telling the truth. Lance has ridden with hundreds of riders over the years who will support his position, and over all that time he has never failed even a single test," Daly said.

Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles, declined comment about the report and Daly's reaction to it.

In May and during the Tour de France, ex-Armstrong teammate and admitted doper Floyd Landis claimed Armstrong and other team members used blood transfusions and performance-enhancing drugs. He claimed Armstrong encouraged doping and that the team sold racing bicycles to fund those activities.

Armstrong denied those claims, saying Landis -- who was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title for doping and denied using PEDs until acknowledging in May that he had in fact doped -- has no credibility.

But prosecutors now have more than Landis' accounts, two sources with knowledge of the investigation said, according to the Times.

Former Armstrong teammate Tyler Hamilton has met with the grand jury and more riders are expected to meet with the grand jury as early as next week, the sources said, according to the report.

Hamilton's lawyer, Chris Manderson, has previously said Hamilton, who is serving an eight-year ban for a second doping offense, had been subpoenaed by the grand jury.

Three-time Tour de France champion Greg LeMond has also reportedly been subpoenaed.

And earlier this week, Armstrong's attorneys said the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is offering cyclists a "sweetheart deal" if they testify or provide evidence that Armstrong cheated.

Armstrong's attorneys say USADA's current offer is for riders to talk to federal investigator Jeff Novitzky, who could then give the information to USADA.

"We understand that riders may be being offered sweetheart deals to change testimony that they have given in the past, under oath," Daly said. "The power of the federal government is being abused to pursue dated and discredited allegations, and that's flat-out wrong, unethical, un-American, and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

Novitzky, a special agent for the Food and Drug Administration leading the investigation, has already contacted Hamilton and former Armstrong teammate George Hincapie.

Last month, Landis told ESPN.com that he had not received a subpoena but would not hesitate to tell a grand jury what he told Novitzky and U.S. anti-doping officials in lengthy interviews last spring.

Daly said cyclists who claim Armstrong was doping aren't telling the truth, according to the Times.

"They just want them to incriminate Lance Armstrong and that's my concern," Daly said, according to the report. "To the extent that there's anyone besides Floyd Landis saying things, the bottom line is, if you take away the soap opera and look at the scientific evidence, there is nothing."

https://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=5439369

Here's one guy I'd like to believe never messed with this stuff but you know how it goes anymore. What's everyone's opinion on this? What I'd like to know is what kind of effect doping would have had on his cancer treatment, if any. I remember on ESPN about five years ago there was a report about one of his housekeepers being fired and then he claimed he saw PED's or something in his home. Maybe the guy is just a douche in private and people hate him.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not crazy about Lance Armstong and I can care less about cycling.

But the one question I have to ask is what PED is he using that he keeps coming up clean on that apparently no one else has caught on to? If he was encouraging Landis (and other cyclists) to take PEDs, why did Landis get caught and Armstrong came up clean?

Who gives a damn. The whole sport is on some drug or another. Just like virtually every professional sport. I'm not even sure why I care if players use PEDs in general.

Who gives a damn. The whole sport is on some drug or another. Just like virtually every professional sport. I'm not even sure why I care if players use PEDs in general.

This. Though for whatever reason I care and think Lance is a complete douche along the lines of Mark McGwire. I've believed for about six or seven years that he always doped and it was only a matter of time until people came out. I've heard too many stories (Landis, a special on HBO Sports if I remember correctly, some other ****, his seven wins in a row) that point in the direction that he doped; that and his lame-*** excuse (similar to McGwire's constant lame *** excuses over the years as to why he would never have done steroids) as to why he wouldn't dope. I'll paraphrase. "Why would I put that in my body? I almost died from cancer." Why? ****, 'cause you cheated death, probably felt you had nothing to lose and might as well considering it's the only profession you know.

I don't think Lance's 7 consecutive tour wins are definite proof the guy cheated considering that during that span, probably 90% of the other riders were doping. Don't get me wrong, he may have been doping, but if he was cheating he won 7 straight Tour's against a bunch of other cheaters.

It's the same dilemma when thinking about the steroid era in baseball. If a roided out Roger Clemens is pitching to a roided out batter, who's the one with the unfair advantage?

Either way, it's a waste of our tax dollars for the federal government to get involved. These are sports, not life and death. It's just not that important.......

I'm in the "who cares?" camp. If anything it makes sport more exciting. Faster times, further hits, harder tackles... what's not to love?

Jazzman and Marcus, I understand your perspective and wish I could have that indifference. Honestly, I say that without sarcasm. But could the work that Congress does help in the long run, saving lives of children who may have otherwise begun to use said drugs? Just a thought. Otherwise, I actually agree with you.

Jazzman and Marcus, I understand your perspective and wish I could have that indifference. Honestly, I say that without sarcasm. But could the work that Congress does help in the long run, saving lives of children who may have otherwise begun to use said drugs? Just a thought. Otherwise, I actually agree with you.

Find me a single legitimate case where someone has died from steroids.

If my son grows up to be a world-class cyclist and he decides to dope because Lance Armstrong did, then his mother and I probably failed him more when we were raising him than congress would have if they didn't get involved in the first place.

In regards to the other major sports, they shouldn't have to be prodded by congress to implement strict testing and guidelines for all of the possible performance enhancing drugs as well as being alert to all of the PED'S each time a new one comes to light.

Again, find me a legitimate case of death because of steroids. Every death mentioned in the article used terms like "may have contributed" "could be the cause". There is nothing definitive. Too add, most of the men mentioned were abusing other, much more toxic substances like cocaine, pain killers and booz. Steroids get a bad rap because they are an easy target.

Lyle Alzado.

Lyle Alzado.

Again, you're buying into the media hype. Alzado blamed his brain cancer on HGH (human growth hormone) but not a single Dr. ever confirmed this. HGH made an easy target, it helped Alzado rationalize his predicament and everyone bought into it because steroids make an easy target.
Keep trying.

I'm not sure why you've become so argumentative. Perhaps it was because of my first rant. Without going further, let me ask you this. Are you implying that steroids have no negative health ramifications?

Lyle Alzado.

In the 70's Alzado injected himself with a type of growth hormone that was extracted from dead bodies - as opposed synthetic hormones which is what is used today. God only knows what these people died of - so the theory is that's how he got sick. Not a fact - just a theory.