What's new

Last good song you listened to?

Sometimes some crazy stuff gets recommended to me. This one pegged the crazy meter so I had to share.

Tico & The Man – Don’t Fear the Reaper

That drummer is crazy good. Every beat felt perfect. Nice find.

I've got a drum-centric piece for you. After 26 years, Swedish band Kent decided to call it quits. Most bands will have their PR firm issue a statement or the band sends out a tweet. That is not what Kent did. They made this piece of performance art that I totally dig.

The various women being rounded up by death, the running dogs, plane, the locations, and tiger were from their album covers. The name of the track translates to "Then as now for all time". I wasn’t a fan while Kent were active, I can’t think of another band that ended their career with a statement piece quite like guys in Kent did.

Kent - Då Som Nu För Alltid

That is one very unique fairwell!

This now old track is one of my favorite pieces of sound engineering ever. It is a trick but it is so well done. The stage is a wall of sound that carefully stays out of the frequency range Annette Strean sings in. Even the backing vocals are octaves down.

The percussion pieces, buzzing guitars, and electronic loops are all in competition to the point that it is often difficult to pick any individual out but Annette, singing in the verse softly enough that she could be singing to herself in her living room, can be easily heard in delicate detail. She even whispers at the microphone in a couple spots. Seeming to overpower the entire loud, chaotic, almost violent machine with nothing more than absentminded effort sets the idea of overwhelming strength so that when Annette stops being playful in the verse to dial it up to 11 for the chorus it feels like she’s going to blow the back out of the theater.

Blue Man Group w/ Venus Hum – I Feel Love

That is a great version of a great song. I feel that Steve Winwood is really hurt by the sound engineering decisions in his later work that made the synthesizer so prominent. You never hear Freedom Overspill even though it was a top-20 hit because that mid-80's sound aged like room temperature milk. Your live version of Can't Find My Way Home shows what a solid songwriter and performer Winwood truly is. Thanks for sharing.

121001-tairrie-b.png

Tarrie B was the first hallway good white girl rapper who was brought in to Ruthless Records by her friend Eazy-E, but she had a terrible relationship with Dr. Dre. Things got so bad that after the Grammys one year Dr. Drew punched her in the face. In retaliation she dropped this diss track that was like a flamethrower on almost everyone involved with Ruthless Records and in particular Dr. Dre.

I didn't come in like a sucker
And I'm not going out like one ************
Yeah, I speak my mind, don't tell me to shut up
Play me close homeboy (What up)
If your name ain't on it
Then my record won't hit?
If you don't produce it, it ain't legit?
That's ********, you living like a sucker
You stuck up, suped up, sorry ************
A Ruthless attack is what's going down
But you ain't got nothing to do with Comptown
I produce myself so I brag it
Go back to wearing sequins, 'cause you look like a ******
World Class? You got no class
So when they said that you'd produce me, I said I'll pass
As for the Grammys, I'll put that on the shelf
It takes a punk ************ to play himself
Your best shot was weak, I didn't need no stiches
Get this straight, I ain't one of your bitches
You cartoon gangsta, I'm calling your bluff
Hitting a woman that makes you real tough
I had enough of you flaunting your grip
I'm no fan so get off of your own tip
'Cause the music you make may come from the streets
But it sounds like Ultimate Breaks & Beats
My opinion is you ain't all that
You're a *****, the definition: cat
And that ain't no joke you think that it's funny?
Integrity is more important than money
And either you got it or you don't, but I won't front
I'm just here to stunt
One producer who said he'd produce this
With or without you, I'm Ruthless