What's new

Last Restaurant You Ate At?

Got about 15 slices of pizza from Pie Hole in SLC last night for my wife, me and my 2 kids. Lasted us for a dinner and a lunch today.

Was our favorite late night place when we lived in the Avenues and it's still really good.

I've tried It's Tofu. They do good silken tofu soup for a utah place but so does myunga and most of the other places here. The korean places in the valley, afaik, are all owned by legit Koreans. That's not the problem. They all cater to what they perceive as american flavor. I'm not saying they dont make actual Korean food. But they dumb it down with their giant *** menus that sell the same dumb stuff.

Focus on a couple of dishes that are delicious and popular in SK but obscure here and do them well. Trust Americans to learn to enjoy and pay for it. I wanna see some Dalkgalbi, Gamjatang, kalguksu with bossam, nakji bokkum, mul huey, korean ****ing fried chicken, ddukbokki, and sundubu done proper. Amirite m8s?

Just looked those dishes up. Jesus they look good as ****.

Cupbob can go **** a stick. I know the guys that own it and I don't have anything against them, but they're making a ton of money and I'm jealous.

It's also not that great honestly, no Korean place in Utah is passable by my standards. If you want Korean food, PM me.

Sam Hawk is Provo is supposedly really good. Neve had it though. Just saw your message is like 5 years old though so I guess things can change.

Sam Hawk is Provo is supposedly really good. Neve had it though. Just saw your message is like 5 years old though so I guess things can change.
Sam hawk is still one of my favorite Korean restaurants. I used to eat there so much. They make one of the best stone bowl bibimbap and cucumber kimchi.

@infection @Nate505 @colton any other mods... can we merge the two currently active restaurant threads? I bumped this one specifically to see if they could be merged as they cover a lot of the same ground.

what did they do wrong?

Used to be top notch, great meat perfectly cooked, reckon they've changed owner and or chef. Just an over priced pub feed, when it used to be a discount fine dining experience.

Think minus grog it came out to around 100 bucks for what i ordered, I could go to San Telmo, and get a significantly better experience and food for an extra ten bucks. Used to be in my estimation the second best steak joint in Melbourne next to Rockpool and at a significantly better price.

@infection @Nate505 @colton any other mods... can we merge the two currently active restaurant threads? I bumped this one specifically to see if they could be merged as they cover a lot of the same ground.
I'm torn... the other one is specifically about Utah restaurants whereas this thread is not. But if there's a consensus that the threads should be merged I can do that. What do others think?

@Safetydan

How does this menu look? The pics look kind of meh.

https://www.bulbapgrill.com/menu

That's some heavily fusion-ized Korean. This is a shot in the dark for me but it looks like a much better version of Cupbob, which I'm on record here as not liking. However, looking at just the pics, the dolsot bibimbap looks good. Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of Japchae in general but if it's your thing go ahead and try it out. Overall, it seems like a fine place to grab a quick Korean flavored lunch. Yelp ratings are good too.

As an aside. I like the idea of Korean Tacos, but I don't like flour tortillas and just wish they'd do them in corn. That's my preference and when I've tried it at home they were ****ing delicious. I don't know any place around here that will do a K-taco in a corn tortilla.

That's some heavily fusion-ized Korean. This is a shot in the dark for me but it looks like a much better version of Cupbob, which I'm on record here as not liking. However, looking at just the pics, the dolsot bibimbap looks good. Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of Japchae in general but if it's your thing go ahead and try it out. Overall, it seems like a fine place to grab a quick Korean flavored lunch. Yelp ratings are good too.

As an aside. I like the idea of Korean Tacos, but I don't like flour tortillas and just wish they'd do them in corn. That's my preference and when I've tried it at home they were ****ing delicious. I don't know any place around here that will do a K-taco in a corn tortilla.

This place by me is far more fusion. Never been.

https://eatmogo.com/

I used to rotate through the Korean establishments in Provo when I lived down there. Asian Fusion, Sam Hawk, and there was another one on University and like 200 N. Here is my take: None of them are bad. they're all pretty tasty for what Utah was from the early 2000s until recently, especially since Korean food wasn't a thing here. My problem is that I know what is possible and they're so far removed from what a Korean restaurant should be.

Korean cuisine is varied like most cuisine and Korean places should specialize in something, anything in order to really be great. If you're in LA or NYC and especially Korea, restaurants would never have a huge menu that offers every kind of KBBQ meat on an iron plate in addition to all the well-known soups on top of things like donkatsu, pajeon, japchae, kimbap, bibimbap, mandu and like whatever else you can think of. These places like Fusion, Sam Hawk, Myunga, Jang Soo Jang, and even Baek RI Hyang throw the kitchen sink at you and none of it is really great tbh. I'm only going if there is something there that I can't make on my own because what I can do at home is unequivocally better.

A place in Korea is laser-focused on one main item. Not just "soup" (all of them) but a specific type of chigae that you know they're going to knock out of the park. They'll have some side options to complement the main offering that are also going to be well done.

I know this is fairly unrealistic for the Utah Market and I'm also fairly aware that most of the places in NYC and LA have more expansive menus although not to the degree that these Utah monoliths have had up to this point. I feel like Utah Korean food is going to level up soon though and I'm excited for it. We now have fried chicken spots and some fledgling (and Chinese owned) kbbq places. The entrance of a place like Hong Kong banjum is a good indicator for the future as well.

Edit: This was quite the rant. lol

Last edited:
I thought there was already a thread for this but I couldn't find it.

logo_jerseymikes.png

Anyway, I went to Jersey Mike's Subs yesterday and bought sandwiches for my family. I got the Original Italian, my daughter got the Chicken Parm, my wife got the Tuna. All were disappointing. Not horrible, just not particularly good. Will not be going back. The tuna was sloppy with too much mayo. The Italian had some promising meats but they were overwhelmed by the huge French bread and heaps of shredded lettuce. Plus, I asked for jalapeno and maybe got a bite of jalapeno one out of every four bites. The chicken parm was bland and the chicken was a little hard to come by.

Add to that, the staff was particularly dumb. Just a bunch of stupid kids with no one around who seemed like they were in charge. I was wearing a Jazz shirt and one of the kids said "Didn't they lose to the thunder the other day?" As if I shouldn't be wearing the shirt since they didn't win their last game.

In other news, the Pho Cali in Midvale is closed on Sundays now. That sucks.
So I actually like Jersey Mike's fine these days. Have to tell them I want lots of jalapeno and then most of the time tell them to put more on after that. But they have a hot pepper relish that really makes the sandwich for me.