What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Lauri still has more upside.

You don't trade young good all star type players with upside and potential for picks. He's younger than Mitchell and has a couple years until he's in his prime. He also brings everything to the table he's a unicorn.
Good post. His contract is also very nice. 16-18 million per year over the next 3 years is great for what he is bringing. One of the best contracts in the nba.

I'm wondering what's our rank in terms of combined salaries. We don't have a max player/s. Are we over the cap?

I just dont see why you would ever trade a young 7' with skills who tries on defense. It's just an insane thought. How many draft picks do you need for a rebuild? Why are we going to blow up our rebuild when it's already like 60% done?

Getting a star is great, but getting all the other pieces is just as hard. Would make no sense to go backwards when we are already asset rich.
Good post.

Only semi-valid reason would be if Ainge would think our rebuilding window is 3+ years. But seeing where we are atm, I dont think we are that far away.

Lauri is still developing and Hardy said he is shuffling him around both offensively and defensively so he learn to read and play all kinds of situations. He also fits Hardy's team first mentality perfectly.

No way they let him go.

Or how those picks NO got in the AD trade will also be late firsts... I'm not sure I'd trade Lauri... just wondering where others might see the line. 2 unprotected picks is an auto reject... 3 and you have my attention.
Yep. These mega draft picks trades are all turning into disasters for the teams that traded them.

Paul George- With Kawhi gone these picks are turning into mid 1sts instead of late 1sts plus obviously Shai who is better than George.

Anthony Davis- no need to explain

Harden- Almost everyone destroyed the rockets for this trade talking about how they were robbed and all the picks would be late 1sts. Now it looks like a gold mine controlling the next 5 years of picks.

Yep. These mega draft picks trades are all turning into disasters for the teams that traded them.

Paul George- With Kawhi gone these picks are turning into mid 1sts instead of late 1sts plus obviously Shai who is better than George.

Harden- Almost everyone destroyed the rockets for this trade talking about how they were robbed and all the picks would be late 1sts. Now it looks like a gold mine controlling the next 5 years of picks.
Which is why I said they disappear soon and teams revert back to overvaluing picks… people had enough time to get over the hopelessness of the Brooklyn situation from years ago and teams started going yolo with their picks again.

The David trade is the only one that netted what they were looking for: a championship.

Hardy: "I dont know where his ceiling is. I dont think anyone does. But I dont think we have seen it yet."

Or something along those lines. Also praised Lauris athleticism and his footwork being incredible for a guy his size.

A testament how Markkanen has transformed this season:

He is averaging career high in points per 36 minutes at 24.4 (previous 20.8) despite averaging career low in 3 point attempts at 6.3 (previous 7.1).

A testament how Markkanen has transformed this season:

He is averaging career high in points per 36 minutes at 24.4 (previous 20.8) despite averaging career low in 3 point attempts at 6.3 (previous 7.1).
Gotta say, he's been remarkably steady at the threes. His 6 seasons in the league he's been between 7.1 and 8.1 threes per 36 minutes except this (6.3, as you say). That's crazy little variation.

His FGA/36 is the highest ever except his sophomore season with the Bulls, though. And while I love to see him hit those threes, the way he's been able to abuse smaller players in the post (and get and-1's repeatedly) has been the highlight for me (well, that, and the fact that he's been defending at a really high level, which I didn't really think was his game).

The "would you even trade Lauri for Donovan straight up now"[0] question isn't nearly as ridiculous now as it was this summer.

[0] - I know it doesn't work financially

Gotta say, he's been remarkably steady at the threes. His 6 seasons in the league he's been between 7.1 and 8.1 threes per 36 minutes except this (6.3, as you say). That's crazy little variation.

His FGA/36 is the highest ever except his sophomore season with the Bulls, though. And while I love to see him hit those threes, the way he's been able to abuse smaller players in the post (and get and-1's repeatedly) has been the highlight for me (well, that, and the fact that he's been defending at a really high level, which I didn't really think was his game).

The "would you even trade Lauri for Donovan straight up now"[0] question isn't nearly as ridiculous now as it was this summer.

[0] - I know it doesn't work financially
Yeah his defense and off ball movement are like night and day based on this year vs watching some old Cavs and Bulls games.

And he has gotten so much stronger and bulkier, without losing his step.