What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Omg lmao... was reading this article in Deseret news that kinda surprised me.

It even contains some comments from Detroit brass and players praising Bogey. Its based on this tweet by Statmuse:

View: https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1608846279693721602?s=20&t=QqgkiV7l8eXnBQhIPcFTYw

Funny thing is.... its the wrong Bogdanovic:
Screenshot_20221231_221345_Chrome.jpg

Omg lmao... was reading this article in Deseret news that kinda surprised me.

It even contains some comments from Detroit brass and players praising Bogey. Its based on this tweet by Statmuse:

View: https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1608846279693721602?s=20&t=QqgkiV7l8eXnBQhIPcFTYw

Funny thing is.... its the wrong Bogdanovic:
View attachment 13609

LOL

Yeah right now it looks that Lauri is part of Jazz future but how long that will last.
Keep in mind that Lauri has 2 yrs left of his contract after this season.
Summer 2025 Lauri is UFA and free to choose his next team.

But i'm not sure of that will Lauri stay to Utah after season 2024-2025.
Jazz has just started their rebuild so basically Ainge and Zanik has 2 yrs time to get this team to playoffs.

If that won't happen i don't see Lauri staying and signing a extension with the Jazz.
The bottom line is not that Lauri needs to impress Ainge and Zanik the bottom line is that Ainge and Zanik needs to impress Lauri on that Jazz can be serious championship contender.
Getting to the playoffs means nothing. Having key players in place where you can see the growth of the team and where it can go is what matters. With Hayward we went all in to try to make the playoffs with the George Hill trade and we made the playoffs but when you looked around we didn't any pieces in place to think we could take that next step. Obviously we ended up drafting that guy in Mitchell but when Hayward was looking around at the start of free agency he was seeing Rodney Hood, Alec Burks, Ricky Rubio, Joe Ingles and Dante Exum.

The main thing is he has flourished here and is going to be an all-star for the first time here. I think that will hold a lot of weight with him. Plus we can give him the most money and more years when the time comes.
I'm sure of that Lauri wants to secure his family's financial security etc with his next contract so of course money is big part of it.
And if he has a chance to maximise his career earnings he'll absolutely do that.

By the way how hard tax politics state of Utah has?
I know that there are some states into USA where is state tax etc things but how's state of Utah?
And how much NBA's salary cap and cap space will rise next 2-3 years is there any estimates or evaluations made of that.

That i know NHL has already announced that there salary cap and cap space will not rise much at least a year or so.
And main reason was that the player hasn't yet paid all their Covid19 escrows to the owners but what's the situation in NBA?

Last edited:
Discuss how longer he might be here sure, but I don't see the point on getting stressed about the whole thing either; enjoy him while he is here. It is amazing to think that he can still get better, but he really can being the age that he is. He is the leader on this team and you can just tell how everyone feeds off of his general play. Do I think he likes it here? Seems to sure. Does that guarantee he will be here beyond his current contract? Who knows.

But again, let's just appreciate how he is helping our team win in the here and now.

Don't know exactly how much financial matters weight there in longer run, but as a familyman Lauri surely put some value on stability. I tend to think that continuous moving with family of two little children, and after they start school wouldn't be desirable scenario. I genuinely expect that Lauri would be willing to stay after his current contract expires.

Also, its clear that he have a very good working relation with Hardy, something he has been lacking with coaches previously in his career.

Don't know exactly how much financial matters weight there in longer run, but as a familyman Lauri surely put some value on stability. I tend to think that continuous moving with family of two little children, and after they start school wouldn't be desirable scenario. I genuinely expect that Lauri would be willing to stay after his current contract expires.

Also, its clear that he have a very good working relation with Hardy, something he has been lacking with coaches previously in his career.
LOL .. where did you find that photo of Lauri in your avatar?

So essentially, Lauri's performance in the month of December (26 ppg) matches Donovan Mitchell's last year, except that Lauri has been markedly more efficient and far better in the clutch. Lauri also isn't a defensive liability.
Yeah isn't it funny how we traded an undersized SG for an oversized SF with similar production but playing a whole lot better defense, plus we got a boatload of draft picks in the process?

I mean talk about turning over a new chapter.. Ainge basically rip up the old book and wrote a new one.

A couple of things i see easily playing in favour of international players (especially ones that only went to the US just when NBA or a college opportunity called) staying at a small market team, is that no city or state is more "home" than other, wherever you are, you're the foreigner, not where you grew up most of your childhood (not in a bad way, just in the basic sense that SLC is as much foreigner for Lauri as LA, NY or Portland, but for an american, some of these cities could have much higher meanings), and that for the financial side, the marketability for americans in the US is much higher than for any non american, even for the superstars like Giannis, Jokic, Embiid and Luka, but even more for "just regular stars" and below, so to that for those players, for their earnings outside of their NBA contract salary (like their shoes deals, any ad they'd be invited to do, etc), the financial difference isn't as big for them to be either in SLC, Phoenix, San Antonio or Miami, LA.

A couple of things i see easily playing in favour of international players (especially ones that only went to the US just when NBA or a college opportunity called) staying at a small market team, is that no city or state is more "home" than other, wherever you are, you're the foreigner, not where you grew up most of your childhood (not in a bad way, just in the basic sense that SLC is as much foreigner for Lauri as LA, NY or Portland, but for an american, some of these cities could have much higher meanings), and that for the financial side, the marketability for americans in the US is much higher than for any non american, even for the superstars like Giannis, Jokic, Embiid and Luka, but even more for "just regular stars" and below, so to that for those players, for their earnings outside of their NBA contract salary (like their shoes deals, any ad they'd be invited to do, etc), the financial difference isn't as big for them to be either in SLC, Phoenix, San Antonio or Miami, LA.
I will also just say that for a guy who hasn't always had it easy, has had his share of friction, etc, I would expect that he knows the grass isn't always greener. When success comes immediately it's easier to believe it's just going to happen wherever you go.

Lauri is already a very good player. How he become great at crutch will bring to the next level, superstar one. The most difficult level to achieve. Superstar make you win. Don is a fantastic player but until now never achieve to make his team win when it matter. And there is so many great players in NBA who never win a ring or even reach the final. The next step is tough to get, But i believe Lauri got the potential to do so.

LOL .. where did you find that photo of Lauri in your avatar?
Can't recall anymore, but at least the photo is here: https://laurimarkkanen.fi/fi/

So, probably from there.

Another good one. :)

slider-img-3.webp

Lauri had a good working relationship with Bickerstaff in the Cavs and with Hoiberg in the Bulls. Both praised him a lot and trusted him a lot. Hoiberg even helped him a lot with his 3pt shot when he ended up into extended slump from downtown.

But other than that - facts.

Family man or not - if it looks like he's gonna have to spend his prime years tanking, there's zero chance he'll sign an extension. Plus he'll likely command a max deal on the open market if he keeps up this type of production.

PG13 is hard to beat, I think, and Sabonis has to be in, but unless Warriors turn things around dramatically, I think he should beat Grant and Wiggins.
I would for sure take PG and Sabonis over Markkanen right now, if Markkanen becomes a more consistent second half player, then I’d rethink those rankings.