What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

At the very least we need to give him more of an opportunity to work in the post even if he struggles. There is only one goal this year and that is player development.
Yes you would think so, right? Although a few players have shown growth, I'm not sure that Hardy has been a huge success in that regard, at this juncture at least.

"
The epiphany happened a few weeks ago during a routine film session.

Everyone has known because the evidence was there on a nightly basis. But, on this day, the obvious became verbalized. The proverbial elephant in the room became addressed. And when Jazz head coach Will Hardy turned to his team and said, guys, Lauri Markkanen is our best player, the agreement in the room was noticeable.

Nobody on the roster disputed that notion. Everyone has embraced it. And with that, the Jazz have secured a major long-term win.

“They all kind of nodded their heads and looked at him like, yeah, you’re our guy,” Hardy told The Athletic. “Players know. And we have a lot of really good players. That being said, Lauri has found a way to co-exist in the group as well. He’s our best player, but we aren’t making our team about him. Everyone is still finding a way to co-exist, and that’s the great thing about our team.”"

Whereas Lauri's overall efficiency increases the smaller the margin is in the game and the less minutes are left in the quarter... When the margin has been 10 points or less his efficiency actually have been sky-rocketed.

His efficiency so far has dived on 4th and by some margin. My theory is slight endurance issues+ this team sometimes have forgotten team all in the 2nd half and it has to affect everyone's shooting i would think. His numbers have not been horrile from field but close to his career averages. The three first quarters he is far above his averages. Just look from the attachment. From basketball-reference.

laurigoatstats.png

"
The epiphany happened a few weeks ago during a routine film session.

Everyone has known because the evidence was there on a nightly basis. But, on this day, the obvious became verbalized. The proverbial elephant in the room became addressed. And when Jazz head coach Will Hardy turned to his team and said, guys, Lauri Markkanen is our best player, the agreement in the room was noticeable.

Nobody on the roster disputed that notion. Everyone has embraced it. And with that, the Jazz have secured a major long-term win.

“They all kind of nodded their heads and looked at him like, yeah, you’re our guy,” Hardy told The Athletic. “Players know. And we have a lot of really good players. That being said, Lauri has found a way to co-exist in the group as well. He’s our best player, but we aren’t making our team about him. Everyone is still finding a way to co-exist, and that’s the great thing about our team.”"
Ok this is the step I mentioned before, establish yourself within the team. Now he is in a position to where he can start taking over games.

It also has shown. He has been getting way more balls in the 4th quarter as well as late game shots and even JC has deferred to him more.

Also we gotta remember that even though time expired and it was called off, I'm 100% sure the guys were in awe of that play in the end of Kings game. Its a confidence boost for sure.

Whereas Lauri's overall efficiency increases the smaller the margin is in the game and the less minutes are left in the quarter... When the margin has been 10 points or less his efficiency actually have been sky-rocketed.

His efficiency so far has dived on 4th and by some margin. My theory is slight endurance issues+ this team sometimes have forgotten team all in the 2nd half and it has to affect everyone's shooting i would think. His numbers have not been horrile from field but close to his career averages. The three first quarters he is far above his averages. Just look from the attachment. From basketball-reference.

View attachment 13643
Most players efficiency goes down in the 4th. Its a combination of stamina, mental pressure and opponents playing tighter defense.

Most players efficiency goes down in the 4th. Its a combination of stamina, mental pressure and opponents playing tighter defense.

True and true. I once saw somewhere a stat about last 24 seconds of game in the NBA history when taking a shot to tie or win. The only one at 50% from those shots was MJ. The only one over 40 was Dirk. Lebron was third in that small stat. The closer it coms to the end the harder it gets.

EDIT: I guess the reason I pointed out the 4th is last two seasons Lauri has been having his best efficiency in the 4th quarter. His role was different though and was not as heavily guarded.

Last edited:
As much as the league would love to have a Jazz player in the allstar game, he isn't getting voted in as a starter imo. I do think he gets a reserve spot maybe, but they better start winning a lot again, or he won't be more than an injury replacement this year.
lots of front court options ahead of him when its all over, especially Zion and Sabonis after all the Lebron, Joker, and the typical market vote bot bs like AD and Wiggins having so many smh

As much as the league would love to have a Jazz player in the allstar game, he isn't getting voted in as a starter imo. I do think he gets a reserve spot maybe, but they better start winning a lot again, or he won't be more than an injury replacement this year.
lots of front court options ahead of him when its all over, especially Zion and Sabonis after all the Lebron, Joker, and the typical market vote bot bs like AD and Wiggins having so many smh

Zion and AD are both injured. Markkanen should be a lock for the all-star game.

Markkanen has 17K more votes in the first return of fan voting than Mitchell had in the second return of voting last year.
He should be in MIP race for sure, but beyond that level of attention, getting him more votes from fans early in the process is probably pretty meaningless.
I mean Mitchell is 2nd in the east rigth now, but could easily be overtaken by bigger markets

Zion and AD are both injured. Markkanen should be a lock for the all-star game.
right AD has no chance, unless the LA market makes hiom a starter, and then he has a injury replacement. Zion is not hurt enough for it to matter imo unless its longer than 3 weeks. His dominance when he played was way to telling for voters to ignore

right AD has no chance, unless the LA market makes hiom a starter, and then he has a injury replacement. Zion is not hurt enough for it to matter imo unless its longer than 3 weeks. His dominance when he played was way to telling for voters to ignore

When you’re injured and get selected they select replacements for you.

I think they said 4 weeks for Zion. They also said they want to take it easy so no setbacks can happen. Id imagine he takes the votes and then withdraws from the actual event.

When you’re injured and get selected they select replacements for you.
Right. But what makes you think the Jazz limping into the all star break, given the way the league rewards players on winning teams, even with the event being in SLC this year, gives him the edge? Same thing applies for coaches votes for reserves. I mean in a non biased way, right now, I would vote for Sabonis behind Lebron and Joker as the 3rd starter if I wasn't voting Jazz favs. I think he can maybe get in as a reserve if he keeps playing the same and they start winning again. If not he is a injury replacement for somebody in the event one like AD or Zion cannot play, and was voted in as a starter. But if the starters are all able body players and the coaches vote is also able bodies, he could be sol.
right now I have him as the 4th most deserving front court option, leaving him right on the fringe of even being an allstar, given the unreasonable amount of votes the Warriors are getting as well as AD

Yeah Sabonis homies need to pull him up. But its wild Kawhi is top 10 in votes. Effing muscle memory.
its just the market and the obsession with a mostly meaningless game that will never be more than a failed event at this point.
Are they even doing a dunk contest anymore, they have been so bad for so long smh