What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Sounds like you’re talking out your ***
No, that would be actually quite in line with Finnish Army policy. If you are doing a great service to the country of Finland (like for example taking part in the World Championships of a sport or Olympic games) the Army will *command* you to take part, and it will be counted for the service time.

No, that would be actually quite in line with Finnish Army policy. If you are doing a great service to the country of Finland (like for example taking part in the World Championships of a sport or Olympic games) the Army will *command* you to take part, and it will be counted for the service time.
But someone said he wants to do the full 6 months

Maybe try to read next time instead of just being the idiot you are. He will do the full 165 days, because there isn't an option to choose how much you want to do. Just that he will do 5mths this summer (incl. the World Cup "secondment") and then he'll have a few weeks left which Lauri can complete the next summer. As the final weeks of the service is usually just one big joint training exercise between all the forces, that's what he might take part in to get all the days in.

I don't know if you have been in the Army, but sounds like you haven't. As such it may come as a surprise to you doing the service in any Army of the world is not 24/7 going RAAAH in the woods, shooting, diving, digging, cleaning your gun, and whatever it is the movies would lead you to believe.

Most of the time in any Army you are commanded to do something else. You might be commanded to go to school and talk about the Army, you might be ordered to go out and take part in a fundraising, you might be commanded to take part in radio show to talk about life in Army, you might be commanded to go to an agricultural fair to stand at a booth, you might be commanded to take part world-championships. Incidently, I was ordered to do four things of those five examples (you are free to attempt to guess what I wasn't ordered to do) during my time in the army (but as my time was in them ancient times, I spent 11 months in the Army instead of 6). Anyway, all of that time you are commanded to do stuff is most definitively counted for service time.

Then the US and Russia are at war with each other and you'd better find your nearest nuclear bunker. Tanking will take on a new meaning.

I’ve been through the same win lots of regular season games only to **** the bed in the playoffs routine the last 25 or so years. I’m willing to risk it. I don’t want to live through another 25 years of that, hell I might not make another 25. Lol

“So we’ll see how many days I get to knock out this summer and go from there. But I’ve had some friends that have done, like, two months one summer and then finish up the next next summer, so we’ll see. I definitely don’t want it to affect the basketball part, so we’ll figure out a good combination.”

Just as I told your sorry ***.

MV5BZTllNzgzNjAtZjYwZC00MmQ0LTllZDgtYTkxYmZlM2UyMDNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY1OTEzMzc@._V1_.jpg

My dad giving tennis lessons to his captain's daughter in his army time.

Lauri can work on his bball coaching skills.

Is Finland a military risk? Do all European countries have military training requirements?

Most other nations do not have all men drafted to do minimum 6 mmonths of military service - or 13 months of civil service like I did. We have 900 miles of border between us and Russia. Now we got into NATO, I think that should minimise the risk of an actual confrontation with Russia.

Last edited:
Is Finland a military risk? Do all European countries have military training requirements?
Most West European countries decided about 20 years ago there will never be war in Europe again, and at the very least no artillery or tanks are ever needed again. Most countries dismantled their armies and gave up on conscription. For example Germany and Sweden used to have quite big trained and well equipped reserves, while countries like Netherlands dismantled their army practically to zero. As an example, after the dismantling Sweden had more generals than tanks.

Not in Finland though. Conscription is still mandatory. About 80% percent of all men are conscripted, though not all go to the Army (about 67% of all men currently), as some choose civil service, are living outside of Finland (until they are 30+), or are deemed to have a too important job for the society. In large parts of the country (outside Helsinki area, pretty much) Army time is seen as the initiation to adulthood, and men are proud to go; as is typical for Finns, they moan about it, but take the training seriously and with pride.

As other countries were dismantling their armies, Finland went second hand shopping. Many countries have legislation that prevents armaments sold to any "risky" countries, but Finland isn't seen as one. Countries were happy to ditch their useless tanks, artillery, missile systems and munitions to Finland, who essentially got practically brand new stuff for the price of shipment.

As a result, Finland has a trained reserve of 900,000 men, by far the best artillery in West Europe (some 1500 heavy artillery (including and heavy mortars) and some 150 HIMARS and other heavy rocket/missile launchers, some 200 Leopard 2 tanks, etc. Finland also never give up on building high quality shelters for the population (all Finns living in urban areas have bomb shelters nearby; yes, everyone).

Why did Finland go exactly the opposite way to the rest of Europe? Because the centuries being next to Russia has teached one thing: Russia always attacks eventually, when they believe Finland has let her guard down. They may be kicked back again and again, but after they have licked their wounds for some decades, they will attack again. The whole Finnish society and ethos, through and through, is built on the idea that when Russia again attacks, they again have to be beaten back. All parts of the society are required to have tested plans how they will function in the event of war (or, as Finns are so politically correct, how to function in exceptional circumstances). And what is more, Finland has learned to stand alone, because nobody ever comes to help when the chips are down.

As such, Finland joining NATO is a monumental change in the the Finnish world. Although many Finns still believe nobody would come to help when the chips are down, but at least in NATO Finland is protected by nukes, so hopefully those thousands of civil shelters will never have to be used against Russian nukes.

To answer your question, no, I do not believe Finland is at military risk. But if Finland ever lets her guard down, Russia will attack. That is why Lauri is doing his military service, to show the guard is not going down this generation.

This is the way.

Most West European countries decided about 20 years ago there will never be war in Europe again, and at the very least no artillery or tanks are ever needed again. Most countries dismantled their armies and gave up on conscription. For example Germany and Sweden used to have quite big trained and well equipped reserves, while countries like Netherlands dismantled their army practically to zero. As an example, after the dismantling Sweden had more generals than tanks.

Not in Finland though. Conscription is still mandatory. About 80% percent of all men are conscripted, though not all go to the Army (about 67% of all men currently), as some choose civil service, are living outside of Finland (until they are 30+), or are deemed to have a too important job for the society. In large parts of the country (outside Helsinki area, pretty much) Army time is seen as the initiation to adulthood, and men are proud to go; as is typical for Finns, they moan about it, but take the training seriously and with pride.

As other countries were dismantling their armies, Finland went second hand shopping. Many countries have legislation that prevents armaments sold to any "risky" countries, but Finland isn't seen as one. Countries were happy to ditch their useless tanks, artillery, missile systems and munitions to Finland, who essentially got practically brand new stuff for the price of shipment.

As a result, Finland has a trained reserve of 900,000 men, by far the best artillery in West Europe (some 1500 heavy artillery (including and heavy mortars) and some 150 HIMARS and other heavy rocket/missile launchers, some 200 Leopard 2 tanks, etc. Finland also never give up on building high quality shelters for the population (all Finns living in urban areas have bomb shelters nearby; yes, everyone).

Why did Finland go exactly the opposite way to the rest of Europe? Because the centuries being next to Russia has teached one thing: Russia always attacks eventually, when they believe Finland has let her guard down. They may be kicked back again and again, but after they have licked their wounds for some decades, they will attack again. The whole Finnish society and ethos, through and through, is built on the idea that when Russia again attacks, they again have to be beaten back. All parts of the society are required to have tested plans how they will function in the event of war (or, as Finns are so politically correct, how to function in exceptional circumstances). And what is more, Finland has learned to stand alone, because nobody ever comes to help when the chips are down.

As such, Finland joining NATO is a monumental change in the the Finnish world. Although many Finns still believe nobody would come to help when the chips are down, but at least in NATO Finland is protected by nukes, so hopefully those thousands of civil shelters will never have to be used against Russian nukes.

To answer your question, no, I do not believe Finland is at military risk. But if Finland ever lets her guard down, Russia will attack. That is why Lauri is doing his military service, to show the guard is not going down this generation.

This is the way.
Can’t help but think about White Walkers in Game of Thrones or Clone Wars reading this post.. hahaha.,

This is the way.
I've always found Finland's balancing act between Warsaw Pact/Russia and NATO interesting from a Foreign Policy perspective, and one that was absolutely understandable given its geographical and geopolitical position. When they joined NATO, my jaw dropped. Completely understandable, but for up-end an 80 year old Foreign Policy stance me realize just how bad Putin blundered in Ukraine. I mean, granted, Finland wasn't a fan of the US's activities in Iraq, but still. Better the devil you know I guess. heh

Did Jazz partially go full tank at the end to avoid the play in for Lauri? He was planning on doing his military service last year but I think it was spoiled by Cleveland making the play in game.

Most other nations do not have all men drafted to do minimum 6 mmonths of military service - or 13 months of civil service like I did. We have 900 miles of border between us and Russia. Now we got into NATO, I think that should minimise the risk of an actual confrontation with Russia.
For what it’s worth, I think this should be a requirement in the US as well. 6 months military or 13 months civil service would be a valuable experience for so many kids here.

Did Jazz partially go full tank at the end to avoid the play in for Lauri? He was planning on doing his military service last year but I think it was spoiled by Cleveland making the play in game.
If that was the aim why not just go full tank instead? That’ll guarantee it right? Instead of what we got which was Tank lite…

This is the way.
Excellent post.

For those who may not know historical wars were Finns/Finland involved either as historical tribes/petty kingdoms, or as north-eastern part of The Kingdom of Sweden, and The Principality of Finland, and The Republic of Finland:

Only cursory glance to these lists will suffice to see that bigger part of all those wars have had something to do with Novgorod, Tzar's Russian Empire, or Soviet Union i.e. East.

800-900 years is enough long time to learn some lesson. Note that Finns fought in nearly all wars for the King of Sweden when Finland was still province of Sweden, at least in eastern campaigns.

---

Lauri is honorable guy, indeed.

No, what a waste of a season if that were the intention. If that was the plan the tanking would’ve started much earlier if there was no intention of making the playoffs.