What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Lauri is averaging 27/9 in his last 25 games and 30/10 in his last 15 games. That is ****ing bonkers. It is hard to put into words how great he has been this season. It’s pretty surreal.
You wanna hear the crazies part about that? Those 30/10 have come with a usage rate of 27.1%.... ranking 41st in NBA. And YES... Its not his season usage.. its his usage during that stretch.

If we convert usage to points directly and give him Joel Embiids league leading 37.9% usage Lauri's PPG would be 41.5. :eek: :eek: :eek:

You wanna hear the crazies part about that? Those 30/10 have come with a usage rate of 27.1%.... ranking 41st in NBA. And YES... Its not his season usage.. its his usage during that stretch.

If we convert usage to points directly and give him Joel Embiids league leading 37.9% usage Lauri's PPG would be 41.5. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Insane. I think he is actually underrated on jazzfanz. People are still trying to figure out how we are going to acquire a first option player. Dudes, we got that covered.

Insane. I think he is actually underrated on jazzfanz. People are still trying to figure out how we are going to acquire a first option player. Dudes, we got that covered.
I think one thing that makes it hard is this is not really translating into winning. I mean yeah we are winning more than we were supposed to, but you don't usually see a breakout guy and dub him the next GOAT when he has done it for less than a single season and his team is barely sniffing the playoffs when they should be obviously tanking. No one knows if this is fool's gold or not just yet, so we are cautiously optimistic. I personally think this is his breakout and will be close to who he is going forward, so we need to lock him down AT ALL COSTS for the future, but that is, just like, you know, my opinion, man.

I think he is capable, but I keep waiting for the efficiency to drop since those numbers are so outrageous.

Maybe they never will... or rather hopefully they never will.

I think one thing that makes it hard is this is not really translating into winning. I mean yeah we are winning more than we were supposed to, but you don't usually see a breakout guy and dub him the next GOAT when he has done it for less than a single season and his team is barely sniffing the playoffs when they should be obviously tanking. No one knows if this is fool's gold or not just yet, so we are cautiously optimistic. I personally think this is his breakout and will be close to who he is going forward, so we need to lock him down AT ALL COSTS for the future, but that is, just like, you know, my opinion, man.
I get it. I have my hesitations about calling him championship level #1. But thats not because I dont trust him being an exceptional basketball player.. thats because I dont know how if he can do what he is doing right now:
A) Sustainably, without anyone figuring out a way to slow him down significantly
B) In the playoffs under the maximum mental pressure

Right now we are playing with house money. That could be something that contributes to his efficiency.. but the media heat has been on a while now and he hasnt faltered. And the talent is 100% real. And its really unique, since I dont remember ever seeing a guy doing stuff on the level Lauri is doing with so few ball touches. Even Malone had the ball more.. even though he was also similarly "as soon as I get the ball I just go and get a bucket" -type of guy.

Agree. Since the start of the season, Lauri has switched to a higher gear, and he’s been a top ten player in the league the last twenty games or so. He’s 25 years old and will only get better. Like most NBA players, he’ll likely be at his peak when he’s 27-29.

Fair

A) Sustainably, without anyone figuring out a way to slow him down significantly
B) In the playoffs under the maximum mental pressure
On B. Yes, Lauri hasn't been in NBA 7 game playoff series, which is a bit different. But I wouldn't discount his experience for Finland. As a 20yo playing in front of a home crowd at Eurobasket (12-13k, rabid, not quite the Greeks but loud in a way no NBA arena ever is) he was the best player on the court against Greece, double OT against Poland, Slovenia (with Dragic and young Luka), France. All eyes on him for two weeks. And then last summer even more expectations and he dropped 43 on Croatia in the playoffs and was again the best player in the game against Spain, and almost dragged Finland to the semis - when the team had no place beating one of the best teams in the world.

And last year, yeah just two games, Lauri was really the only player on the Cavs for whom the occasion didn't seem too big. Of course this ties into the to tank or not to tank conversation. It will remain unknown until the team actually plays to 7 game series.

On A. Whether it's Wemby or any unproven player, either in the NBA for a season or two or not even there yet, it seems that they're GUARANTEED to lead any team to the Finals. I mean, I'd give more of the benefit of the doubt that's putting up 30/10 night after night than the guys that haven't shown anything yet. Sure, if you're a great player, usually you're gonna be a great postseason player as well. But I'd think the question marks are even bigger for the guys that haven't played a minute against NBA guys.

I think either Lauri or Sabonis is going to be an all-star starter. It sounds like it is probably going to be Sabonis but I bet Lauri is really close.

I think either Lauri or Sabonis is going to be an all-star starter. It sounds like it is probably going to be Sabonis but I bet Lauri is really close.
I went through a lot of media guys who I think are voters and everyone has Jokic and Lebron top 2 and 3rd is Sabonis (like 70%), Lauri (maybe like 20%) along with few Zions here and there. Didnt see AD, Wiggins or George mentioned once.

However since press votes are weighed 25% and fan votes are 50%... based on latest fan results that were revealed I think Zion is gonna be 3rd, AD may be able to hang in at 4th and Sabonis catches up to Markkanen (close for 5th and 6th) while both pass Wiggins and George.

Player votes are harder to guess and legend is they are terrible homers... but Lauri and Sabonis might get extra love from their former teammates... both moving towns so recently.. so theoretically it is possible that either one could jump Zion.

I went through a lot of media guys who I think are voters and everyone has Jokic and Lebron top 2 and 3rd is Sabonis (like 70%), Lauri (maybe like 20%) along with few Zions here and there. Didnt see AD, Wiggins or George mentioned once.

However since press votes are weighed 25% and fan votes are 50%... based on latest fan results that were revealed I think Zion is gonna be 3rd, AD may be able to hang in at 4th and Sabonis catches up to Markkanen (close for 5th and 6th) while both pass Wiggins and George.

Player votes are harder to guess and legend is they are terrible homers... but Lauri and Sabonis might get extra love from their former teammates... both moving towns so recently.. so theoretically it is possible that either one could jump Zion.
It is entirely a popularity contest, and popularity drops when you play for the "You go play in..."Utah Jazz.

The only hope we ever have is the coaches. I think Lauri gets in that way.

Zion and Davis won’t be starters because both have been hurt. That’s why I think it will be Lauri or Sabonis. Lauri has a huge lead in fan vote. It will come down to press and players for the starters. Lauri might have a lot of former teammates voting for him.

This year/this season, I think Lauri has raised his level to almost match Lebron. Lebron has kind of gone down because of his age and the bad team he is on. We can say it on this site, but the voters and the media would never say it.

This year/this season, I think Lauri has raised his level to almost match Lebron. Lebron has kind of gone down because of his age and the bad team he is on. We can say it on this site, but the voters and the media would never say it.
Lowe and Simmons discussed this a few weeks back and gave Lebron the starter spot on popularity/history basis... but ever since that podcast Lebron has averaged like 40 points per game. He has been on a heater, and its not just volume its quality as well. Shooting really well.

View attachment 13755

Lauri finished extremely well in the voting!!!

For frontcourt players he finished 4th in player voting, 7th in fan voting and 5th in media voting.
What’s the format for reserves? 3 FC, 2 guards and 2 either? So 5 front court and a couple wild cards, if I have that right? I’d imagine if you were to try to correlate, to some degree, where coaches vote based on how he did with players and media, that he’d have to be a lock, no?

Lauri should get in. I think each team has 13 players, right? Dame and Sabonis should get in, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fox makes it too.

View attachment 13755

For frontcourt players he finished 4th in player voting, 7th in fan voting and 5th in media voting.
Looking at this list, I tend to agree with what I heard on "Howdy partners". Lauri, Sabonis and Davis (he's back on the court) will round out the frontcourt. Ja and SGA will be the backcourt backups, and the wild cards will be Lillard and Fox. Fox being the likeliest to be replaced by a frontcourt player.

View attachment 13755

Dont usually quote myself but I sort of feel like I nailed this one:
Zion is gonna be 3rd, AD may be able to hang in at 4th and Sabonis catches up to Markkanen (close for 5th and 6th) while both pass Wiggins and George.